Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trico vacuum wiper rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by eestes1 eestes1 wrote:

Also thanks for the previous link on dismantling the motor!
Great help, as always!

I wish I could say I was paying it forward Embarrassed... just trying to catch up Wink
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 10:21pm
Thanks everyone, I'll keep this thread posted with any updates as I get this motor put back together.

As usual, you all have been a huge help.

Steve
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 2:59pm
I've had luck finding rebuild kits on eBay. 

Here ya go:

I've had a good result in tearing down, rebuilding and reassembling my own motor using the kit. 

The link to the gasket patterns has already been referenced earlier in the thread. 

I found that the brass guides and valves on mine were very worn. The valves felt like a loose tooth in the guides! I replaced the guides and they are now nice and tight.

I'm planning on doing a full "how to" article on take down, cleaning, rebuild and reassembly, with pics. Just need to find the time to put the guide together and post it.

Mike
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 4:01pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 4:12pm
Hey Mike - I look forward to your "How To" article.  That will be very helpful.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2018 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

I've had luck finding rebuild kits on eBay. 

Here ya go:

I've had a good result in tearing down, rebuilding and reassembling my own motor using the kit. 

The link to the gasket patterns has already been referenced earlier in the thread. 

I found that the brass guides and valves on mine were very worn. The valves felt like a loose tooth in the guides! I replaced the guides and they are now nice and tight.

I'm planning on doing a full "how to" article on take down, cleaning, rebuild and reassembly, with pics. Just need to find the time to put the guide together and post it.

Mike

Thanks for the link. I just bought one of these kits (I made an offer and got it for a better priceBig smile).  My CJ2A has a wiper motor on both sides, but I really only need one.  So hopefully between the two I have and the kit I can make one good one.  If I can make two good ones - great.  But I'll be happy just to have one working.  

Looking forward to the "How to" guideWink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2018 at 12:36pm
I wonder if the seller wonders why there has been a sudden run on his merchandise? LOL

Yup, if I can find time this weekend I'll try and put something together then...
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2018 at 1:34pm
ClapClapClap
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2018 at 1:49pm
I just ordered one of the kits! Thanks for the link .
Rick Estes
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2018 at 7:09pm
I ordered one as well. Thanks for the link. I'll post some pictures here as well when I get started on the rebuild.

Steve 
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 1:45pm

I'm glad to see this thread be cause i recently took my Trico motor apart, cleaned it, put new lube in. It worked a little before I did that but not at all now. I think i need to repeat but this time lube with brake fluid.  someone , sorry i dont remember who, suggested that.

It's unusual that it is not working at all, especially if it was working weakly before you took it apart.

Are you sure that you put the on/off lever back with the small passages facing towards the motor body? If you put in on backwards with the passages facing outwards this will cause the motor not to work at all.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2018 at 11:08am
Sorry, Jeepsaffer, I just saw this . Ill take it apart again when the kit arrives- it has shipped from NC.
Rick Estes
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2018 at 11:16pm
In anticipation of jeepsaffer's forthcoming "how to" article, and the soon to be delivered rebuild kit, I removed the passenger side wiper motor. I wanted to see what it looked like and be sure nothing was damaged. Looks good from the outside. It has these funny little screw heads, they look like mini 9" brake shoe adjusters, but very tiny. Not sure what tool to use, maybe a miniature crescent wrench Disapprove
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2018 at 11:54pm
1/8"

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 12:31am
Yep - that's the wrench I don't have Angry

So I dug around in a box of old ignition wrenches and found one that had a 1/8" punched out slot. With a little trimming I think it will work just fine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 10:47am
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 11:07am
Wow! Thats a great piece of work! Thanks very
much for your time Mike!

Rick Estes
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 12:02pm

Wow! Thats a great piece of work! Thanks very
much for your time Mike!

X100 Thumbs UpLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>