Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trico vacuum wiper rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 12:42pm
Awesome - thank you sir!  My kit should arrive today. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 2:25pm
I have this Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaning tank.  Is there any reason why this would not be a good way to clean all the vacuum motor parts?  I use a 50/50 mix of Simple Green/water.  The tank heats the solution to help break down hardened grease. For tiny bits I put them in a jar with the same solution, then set the jar in the tank. I've used it for cleaning many other small parts and it works very well.  It seems like this would be ideal for clearing all those little ports, nooks and crannies.

Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 2:47pm
I've never messed with vacuum wipers (other than to cuss at them for not working on an old Chevy pickup I had), but after reading this, I'm thinking it'd be easier to rebuild the vacuum motors than to try to convert to electric motors.  I remember my Dad years ago rebuilding the motors for his old truck.  He loved them.  

I was wondering while reading this if a vacuum canister between the engine and the wipers help keep the vacuum motors going while driving around?  I'm thinking it should provide a "buffer" on keeping good vacuum to the wipers.  Maybe put a check valve between the engine and the canister.  

W

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 10:00pm
My rebuild kits arrived today. They look great. I was surprised they included a few small bonus items too.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 12:55am
My first motor is apart and going into the ultrasonic tank for cleaning.

Just a heads up. I opened one of my kits and found brass shavings in the bag and inside the brass guides. Apparently, they were not properly cleaned after being machined. I blew out the new guides with brake cleaner, so all is well. Just be sure to check your kits for shavings.

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 11:47pm
Parts all cleaned up and ready to go back together. The wiper arm felt  seal is in excellent shape, so I'm not going to change it out. 

srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2018 at 3:38am
My rebuild kit came in on Monday and I've had the motor taken apart and soaking in the parts washer for a few days. 

I wire-brushed everything, cleaned out all of the vacuum ports and used some 220 grit emery paper to clean up the whole inside vacuum chamber and the gasket surface.

My paddle felt was totally deteriorated, so I carefully ground off the old rivet and installed the new paddle. I also installed new guides and pistons.

I put everything together with a lite coat of fine machine oil. I used 100% silicone grease at all privet points. 

It now runs great!

Here's a couple videos...

Part 1:

Part 2:

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2018 at 11:10am
Nice! Did you have any trouble changing the guide bushings? I havent done that yet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2018 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Nice! Did you have any trouble changing the guide bushings? I havent done that yet.

I used an arbor press and the appropriate size punch. If the guides are in good shape, you may just want to change out the little pistons. I just picked up an arbor press a few weeks ago and it worked well.
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2018 at 4:17pm
Thanks, I'll check the fit and decide. I have a 3 ton arbor press if needed.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 12:53am
I got my first motor assembled and tested. At first it was a bit sluggish on one stroke, but after a little help it starting working great. 

Mike's guide is really great, I couldn't have done the rebuild without it. I think the most challenging part was assembling the plungers, rocker, spring and associated bits. I'll add two comments to Mike's guide from my experience. Before step 3 of disassembly, I had to remove the set screw completely from the handle, then remove the handle. Then step 3 could be done. The other thing is on assembly. Before putting the two halves together, be sure to install the rocker reverse bracket. I didn't do this, and had to take it apart again. BTW, I used a very light film of white lithium grease and a couple drops of sewing machine oil where required. After I rebuild the other one, I'll paint them black.

JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 9:07am

I got my first motor assembled and tested. At first it was a bit sluggish on one stroke, but after a little help it starting working great. 

Well done! Another motor working well, rebuilt by a forum member! Clap
Did you replace the guides on yours, or re-use the existing guides?

Mike's guide is really great, I couldn't have done the rebuild without it. I think the most challenging part was assembling the plungers, rocker, spring and associated bits. I'll add two comments to Mike's guide from my experience. Before step 3 of disassembly, I had to remove the set screw completely from the handle, then remove the handle. Then step 3 could be done. The other thing is on assembly. Before putting the two halves together, be sure to install the rocker reverse bracket. I didn't do this, and had to take it apart again. 

Glad the guide was useful... and thanks for the feedback. I have already amended the guide with your comments and will repost in a minute or two as rev 1.

Mike
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 11:47am
I got my repair kits yesterday- didn't realize they came as a pair until I went back and looked on eBay. What a deal, $29 plus $8 shipping! Also got some extra small parts. Anyway, I'll try to get back to it this weekend.
Rick Estes
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 11:59am
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

Well done! Another motor working well, rebuilt by a forum member! Clap
Did you replace the guides on yours, or re-use the existing guides?

Mike's guide is really great, I couldn't have done the rebuild without it. I think the most challenging part was assembling the plungers, rocker, spring and associated bits. I'll add two comments to Mike's guide from my experience. Before step 3 of disassembly, I had to remove the set screw completely from the handle, then remove the handle. Then step 3 could be done. The other thing is on assembly. Before putting the two halves together, be sure to install the rocker reverse bracket. I didn't do this, and had to take it apart again. 

Glad the guide was useful... and thanks for the feedback. I have already amended the guide with your comments and will repost in a minute or two as rev 1.

Mike

This motor was in pretty good shape internally.  I checked the fit of the old and new valves in the guides.  The valves had about .0005"  wear, but the guides seemed to have no discernible wear.  So I used the new valves in the old guides.  The original wiper seal was good, so I just cleaned and very lightly lubricated it with white lithium grease.  The one bad thing on this motor is the wiper arm shaft, which was bent a little where it sticks through the windshield. I straightened it some.  Its better, but still not perfect. The other thing is the threaded end of the shaft is broken off.  But the splined piece that the windshield wiper arm attaches to is retained by a set screw instead.  That seems to work, so its ok for now.  This was from the passenger side.  Probably tonight I work on the drivers side motor.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 3:16pm
Nice Job Steve! 

Does anyone have a source for the little screw on ball for the switch? I also need the handle. 

If I can't find them, I'm sure I can come up with something to improvise....
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by srlbotanical srlbotanical wrote:

Nice Job Steve! 

Does anyone have a source for the little screw on ball for the switch? I also need the handle. 

If I can't find them, I'm sure I can come up with something to improvise....

I noticed yours was missing in the video.  I imagine ebay will be the best source, maybe a "parts" motor.  I thought about that to find a shaft to replace mine with the broken off threads.

Here's a wild-*ss idea for your ball handle.  A round lead ball fishing sinker, they come in different szes.  They have a slot cut in them to slip over fishing line, then be crimped on.  Maybe you could open the crimp a little wider, then slip it on then epoxy it on the end of your switch.  Or use a ball bearing and cut a slot in it with a Dremel disc.  
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 11:03pm
It seems I've hit a snag on my second wiper motor. The paddle seal is damaged on this one. So I figured to install the new paddle that came with the rebuild kit. But when set side by side, it's clear they are different. On mine there are rivets on both sides of the shaft, the replacement has one rivet that appear to go through the shaft. The original also has a round black rubberized cloth seal that closes off the on/off valve area, the replacement does not have this. Bummer, not sure what do do at this point. I'll go ahead and get all the parts cleaned up while I think about it. I'm open to ideas?

eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 11:50pm
Steve, my repair kit paddles are like yours. And I thought I had received 2 complete repair kits, the eBay listing said "pair", but the 2 boxes had different pieces in them. The boxes say "for S type motors". Im not sure if thats the type motor i have but it appears to be the same as yours- are your motors the "S" type?
I have a typed note, which also includes a handwritten addition. It says contact him immediately if not satisfied so it can be made right.
It includes an email address I'll share by pm if you dont have it.
Rick Estes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>