Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trico vacuum wiper rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 12:41am
Rick - yes they are S type. All the other parts in the kit are fine, just the paddles are different. Maybe the design changed over time. Good idea about contacting the seller, although I don't consider it his fault, I can ask if he has paddles like mine. I have his contact info, thanks.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 1:12am
All the parts have been through the ultrasonic tank and are clean. I sent a nice email to the rebuild kit seller with photos and asked if he had a paddle like mine. We'll see what happens. If nothing else, I can run with just one wiper. I don't drive from the right seat very often anyway Wink
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 2:55am
Mine was the same way, The old one had the round gasket and the new one doesn't.

Apparently that round gasket isn't needed because mine works just fine with the new paddle.

I installed my paddle with the slots on the same side the round seal would have been, just like you have it in sitting in your picture.
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 7:45am
Originally posted by srlbotanical srlbotanical wrote:

Mine was the same way, The old one had the round gasket and the new one doesn't.

Apparently that round gasket isn't needed because mine works just fine with the new paddle.

I installed my paddle with the slots on the same side the round seal would have been, just like you have it in sitting in your picture.

So it shuts off ok no leakage without that black rubber/cloth seal? It looks like the single rivet goes through the shaft, rather than the 2 rivets on each side of the shaft. Did you drill through the shaft or just drill 2 new holes on either side of the shaft?

I heard back from the seller, he said the kits are advertised as M38A1 and later (true statement) and that he did not have the paddle like mine.

Edited by ndnchf - 04 Aug. 2018 at 11:57am
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 9:43am
I'm not here to bust any ones rear but my first Jeep was a MB. Totally manual wipers where the passenger worked the wiper and there was a rod that went over to the driver side to work it. There was no way you could drive and work the wipers if you were the only person in it. Um, the wiper blades were felt instead of rubber. They didn't work so pretty good. I put an electric wiper on the driver side and if I wanted to see out of the other side, I had to lean over to work the other wiper. I have nothing against people that want period correct wiper motors. I have had 2 cars with vacuum wipers and my '51 Chevy sucked in a snow storm. I am driving up vail pass and the wiper would not move to clean the snow off. Back off of the throttle and I managed a couple good swipes and I was back on the gas pedal. I also lost a few MPH. My Buick has a vacuum pump on the fuel pump. It still sort of sucks. You could have an hour glass sitting there to time the blades. I understand that you guys want a period correct Jeep but vacuum wipers really do suck.
uncamonkey
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 12:05pm
I hear ya unkamonkey, they do suck. But by rebuilding, maybe they'll suck just a little less Wink  I don't drive my jeep every day, and rarely in the rain. For me this an exercise to learn how they work, and maybe improve them a bit, so in the rare chance I need them, they will at least sort of work. If this was a daily driver, I'd definately go for electric wipers. Either way, RainX is my friend.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 12:08pm
Yeah, maybe we can make them suck a little better!🙄
Rick Estes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

So it shuts off ok no leakage without that black rubber/cloth seal? It looks like the single rivet goes through the shaft, rather than the 2 rivets on each side of the shaft. Did you drill through the shaft or just drill 2 new holes on either side of the shaft?

I heard back from the seller, he said the kits are advertised as M38A1 and later (true statement) and that he did not have the paddle like mine.

Yes, it shuts off just fine. I think that the original felt version needed that extra gasket to shut tightly. The updated paddle has rubber gaskets and seems to seal completely. When I shut of the wiper motor it snaps back to the off position with no audible vacuum leak.

You are also correct, one rivet through the shaft. A washer should go on the side that gets crimped. 
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 8:02pm
As you know i didn't replace my paddle. Take a few pics of each step, if you do replace your paddle. Send them to me and i will include them in the rebuild guide!

The way i do it is each time i do something significant, i take a pic. One with flash, one without. They can be cropped or enlarged later. What you have just done should be the focus of the pic. 

Mike

Edited by JeepSaffer - 04 Aug. 2018 at 8:07pm
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 9:07pm
Things don't look good for this one. There must be more than one type of S motor. I'm trying to adapt the new paddle, but it's clearly a different animal. The wiper shaft is too small to drill it for a single rivet through it. So I drilled two holes on either side of the shaft like my original paddle. But the included rivets are too short. I just barely was able to get the inner rivet crimped. But then the shaft wouldn't float in the paddle. It needs to be able to float or move around a bit to work smoothly in the bore. Since it was too tight, I drilled it out and tried 6x32 screws. These allowed me to secure the shaft, but still let it float. But then I found the top screw and nut interfered with the top part of the bore. In fact, when trying to assemble it, the nut screw scratched the top wiping surface. So I then removed the top screw and nut, so the paddle is just held together by the lower screw and rivet. I polished out the scratch and assembled it. 

So that's where I am now. I'll be surprised if it works. If not, i'll keep this one for parts and just install the other one. Here's a couple of pics. One showing the two paddles, with holes marked to drill the two new holes. The other shows the new paddle assembeled with nuts and screws, before I removed the upper screw.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2018 at 5:08am
If you use the right parts, it will work. If you don't have the right parts, and have to "Bubba" the parts to fit, well,,,,,,,,,,,   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2018 at 5:27am
I ran into the same thing when trying to use this kit to redo mine and put it to the side to determine what t do.  
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2018 at 4:18pm
Well, as I suspected - it didn't work. The paddle is very stiff and I can hear air leaking with it turned off. I think it needs that round rubberized cloth seal on the paddle. I also think the paddle is binding due to the way I had to mount it to the shaft. So this one will be set aside for the time being.

On a positive note, the other motor that I rebuilt last week was installed on the drivers side. Got it hooked up and tested. Wow - it spins like a P-51's propeller chasing BF-109 in a power dive!  Sure, it slows down on accelleration, but the rebuild made a huge improvementSmile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2018 at 8:47pm
passenger side wipers are over rated.... Wink
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2018 at 11:08pm

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I drove from the right hand seat...

Here's finished driver's side.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2018 at 12:41am
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I drove from the right hand seat...

Here's finished driver's side.

Your install looks great, but... your motor is up-side-down.
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2018 at 1:02am
That's the way it was. To flip it over I'd need to make spacers to set the motor back in order to clear the windshield frame above it. But it seems to work fine...
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2018 at 1:03am
After thinking about it, I see the advantage of flipping the motor over - mainly improved visibility through the windshield. Flipping it over would take it out of my line of sight. But it seems the motor needs to be spaced back, maybe a 1/2" or more in order to clear the out windshield frame. How was this done originally? We're there just thick washers or spacers on the bolts that go through the inner frame? Could someone post a photo of how it is spaced? Thanks. Here is how mine is now.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>