Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trico wiper motor SF 583 gasket pattern

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trico wiper motor SF 583 gasket pattern
    Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:09am
The original Trico vacuum wiper motors for CJ2A jeeps were the SF 583 models. 

The gaskets between the upper and lower halves are very intricate, and seem to be hard to come by. I have seen some on eBay but they are pricey at around $20 per gasket set. They come in two identical halves suitable for a single motor.

I have bought a NOS set and have scanned them, drawn them up in CAD, and printed them to pdf at 1:1 scale. If you need the pattern to try to cut them out yourself, here it is. 

I have test printed them myself from pdf and they are a very, very close match when I overlay the originals on the print copy. They are certainly within the tolerance that an average person could wield an exacto knife! LOL 

Just make sure that you print at 1:1 scaling, or 100% scaling, as your printer might try to scale the native A4 page size to something else on your printer, like 8.5" x 11". As long as you print to 100%, or untick the "scale to fit" option, you should be fine. A measured dimension is provided on the drawing so that you can check your print before you start cutting.

Two gaskets are required for one motor. I believe they should also fit the later SF 616 and SF 634 models found on later jeeps, but I can't confirm this.

The original gasket measures 0.4mm or 1/64" thick.

Good luck. Let me know if you manage to cut one and if it fits!

Mike

Edited by JeepSaffer - 01 June 2018 at 7:53am
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 6:35pm
I'm just gonna say it...

"You're a freakin' Rock Star!"

Couldn't pull this off myself, so ended up using the originals that were in marginal shape.

Thanks!!!Thumbs Up

Tim
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 1:35am
What type and thickness of gasket material do you select for this application?

Thanks 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 7:51am
Hi Otto, 

I measured the thickness of the NOS gasket at 0.4mm, which would make it 1/64".

I don't know enough about gaskets to know what the NOS one is made of. However the simple function of this gasket is seal the wiper motor top and bottom to be able to keep vacuum within the motor and drive the paddle. I would say almost any gasket material would work, if it is the correct thickness. Lightly coat both sides with a very thin smear of light grease before installing, not enough to squish out and block any of the passages in the motor body, but enough so that the motor housing forms an airtight seal against both sides of the gasket. You should be good to go!

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 7:58am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

I'm just gonna say it...

"You're a freakin' Rock Star!"

Couldn't pull this off myself, so ended up using the originals that were in marginal shape.

Thanks!!!Thumbs Up

Tim

Haha, glad to help Tim! I actually remember one of your posts from some time back where you lamented the high price of the wiper motor gaskets on eBay, and I made a mental note that if I ever found myself with a NOS set I would replicate it in CAD and post the results to the forum. Well, here you go Sir...
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 8:51pm
I was just directed here from my own thread.

Thanks for taking the time to do this! 

I'm going to try and make my own gaskets.

Smile
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 4:10am
Clap
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 9:56am
Glad to hear the patterns have found some users! Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 9:58am
Originally posted by srlbotanical srlbotanical wrote:

I was just directed here from my own thread.

Thanks for taking the time to do this! 

I'm going to try and make my own gaskets.

Smile

Let me know if the pattern "as cut" actually works. I can modify the pattern slightly if there is an obvious problem.
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 2:54pm
Thanks for the pattern!  

I used to make gaskets for old Amal Monobloc carbs on British motorcycles out of paper bags way back when.  They worked good for me and I bet paper bag gaskets in this would work well with your light smear of grease.  You want the paper to soak up something to swell a little for compression when tightening the screws.  I'd use just enough grease/light oil to wet the paper.  

Duck001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duck001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2023 at 11:03am
I was happy to find your pattern for the wiper motor gaskets.  My daughter helped me to convert your .pdf to a .svt format and then cut the gaskets (Fel-Pro gasket paper) on her craft Cricut machine.  Came out perfect.  We did have to edit the design slightly to eliminate one small hole that did not appear in my original gaskets.
This could be a great way to produce some obscure or less common gaskets that are hard to come by.

Edited by Duck001 - 14 Dec. 2023 at 7:44pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2024 at 10:04am
So glad this pattern is still working out for people! Thumbs Up
And especially glad to hear that it has been proof tested and works!

Edited by JeepSaffer - 16 Jan. 2024 at 10:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply