Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

True American Picker. MidWest Military.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: True American Picker. MidWest Military.
    Posted: 15 Aug. 2020 at 3:35am
I stopped by MidWest Military in Prior Lake, Minnesota this past Friday. 5 hour drive from home. John Bizel runs the place. Wow what a treasure trove of Jeep stuff. This is also a machine shop that fabricates tons of hard to find Parts and sheet metal, mainly for military vehicles. There is, however, a large inventory of CJ parts and fabricated sheet metal pieces available. I f you go on their web sight you will find them to have a very well stocked inventory of everything you might want for your project. There is also a section on Johns “picking trips” over the years. He has traveled throughout the USA...including Alaska going to places where Jeep hoarders live and buying up whatever inventory they want to unload or maybe the original owner dies and the family needs to clear out the junk....remember that when y’all look at the stashes we all have....some day our relatives will do the same. I walked through towering stacks of CJ, MB, GPW, M38, M37, Dodge truck, Half track, Command Car and other military stuff.....stuff that’s been squirreled away for decades, all finally ending up here. The machine shop was fascinating. The day I was there was trailer bed day...an east coast customer had ordered a large quantity of trailer beds and they were just knocking them out. John told me that the typical bed requires over 16000 hits with their  machine to make each bed. It’s quite the loud process. I’m very impressed with the quality of work I saw. Stacks and stacks of bumpers, rear cross members, floors, hat channels and other components. The gauge thickness is correct and John assured me that all the parts are square and true...made to fit right. I’m taking his word for it at this time. I bought an MB rear floor and riser, some MB tool box floors and some fender repair pieces. We shall see. The best part was I walked in, told him who I was....you know, kind of a big deal on the CJ2a page...well he said “Never heard of you”....can you believe it? The best part was he said I could look around all day if I wanted to. Open any drawer I wanted, look into any crate, showed me where there were ladders to climb up onto the racks to look in the crates. Ask any question and he would help me, he offered me a flashlight to see things better...he was a very gracious host. When he said that I turned to my wife, gave her the keys and a credit card and sent her to Marshall’s with instructions to not bother me for at least 3 hours. Most of his business is mail order/internet with very few guys like me walking in. Looking for a COVID holiday? MidWest Military might fit the bill.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2020 at 4:30am
John is the real deal
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2020 at 10:20am
Do not call and order at 4 pm. Call John at 9-10 AM. He needs to get the orders out the door at the end of each day. I completely understand that too!  Wink

I've actually used his fabricated floors and metal to correctly fit things when yours are rotten trash. Yes, his fitment standards are impeccable. My hats off to him for his fine work. 

John Bizal and Wes knettles have helped me with my military stuff over and over. I'm greatful to have them around. 

I was told by him that I have Green Disease. I think I do----------LOL. Thanks for the pictures. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
takesiteasy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2020 at 4:26pm
I bought my trailer floor (perfect fit), bearings, some other parts and paint from John. Highly recommend Midwest Military. Thumbs Up
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2020 at 5:55pm
If you want to get a rise out of Uncle John just mention the word "Omix"..
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2020 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Does he say "Don't tell me, let me guess..."?  Wink
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 12:36am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Does he say "Don't tell me, let me guess..."?  Wink

What he says cannot be repeated here.
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 12:46am
I always wonder if Bruce W edits his posts when Omix is mentioned.  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 3:10am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I always wonder if Bruce W edits his posts when Omix is mentioned.  Smile

No need to write anything that needs edited out. What I say is brief and to the point. Someone has a problem with a new part that doesn't fit or doesn't work, or is just a piece of crap in general;

"Don't tell me, let me guess - Omix-ADA?"

BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2020 at 1:33pm
How about this one:  (You DO have a service manual, don't you? Wink) LOLLOL
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2020 at 3:19pm

In defense of Bruce, the "Don't tell me...let me guess - Omix-ADA?" and "You do have a service manual don't you?" comments are valid responses to those with sub-standard parts problems or questions about how to conduct routine service on a jeep.

I am sure Bruce has seen his fair share of jeep service challenges during his jeep career and is a good source for advice on all things jeep. His "Don't tell me...let me guess - Omix-ADA?" response is a valid criticism about a company that could care less about the quality control of parts they produce for the jeeping public. He has no patience with sub-standard parts regardless of who manufactured or sold them. The "You do have a service manual don't you?" is a comment on the habit that some seem to have about not looking up something simple about jeep service in a manual. Questions of a more complicated nature are often answered by Bruce without that comment and are usually the result of many years of experience in working on jeeps. His advice is almost always helpful and right on target.

THANK YOU, Bruce, for all of the excellent advice you have given me and others on the Forum all these years. We all have benefited from your observations and sage advice. Hope you are recovering your health and I look forward to seeing you again at the CFFC Fall Color Tour.

I honestly believe that the comments made on this thread about Bruce are a tribute to Bruce and not a way to make fun of him.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 17 Aug. 2020 at 3:22pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2020 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

I honestly believe that the comments made on this thread about Bruce are a tribute to Bruce and not a way to make fun of him.

Absolutely!! 110% The utmost respect for BW Clap
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2020 at 4:10pm
  Thanks guys. You make me blush. Embarrassed  I enjoy sharing my knowledge and experience. Now and then, I need help too, and I know I can find what I need here. 
  Now, back to John Bizal and MidWest Military. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply