Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tub Restoration Shop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tub Restoration Shop
    Posted: 20 June 2018 at 2:22pm
Does anybody know of a shop that specializes in original 2A tub restorations? I want to restore my tub but want to keep it as original as possible...no filler, want the spot welds to show as they would've originally, replace the wood in the hat channels, correct primer and paint, etc. Preferably on the East Coast. Thanks, all.   
Dave
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 2:57pm
If you find one it won't be cheap, good luck. You  may be better off trying to find a real choice original tub that doesn't need much work , maybe cheaper in the long run. 

Edited by leecarr - 20 June 2018 at 3:00pm
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 3:12pm
Jimmy Strauss in California does them. If you want his contact let me know.
Jay
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 3:51pm
There is a guy I know in Bryan, Ohio who did my 1948 lefty and a 1953 3B with patch panels.  He does excellent work and will do exactly what you ask.  He has won the Mopar Nationals and a bunch of 1930 Ford Awards for his work.  Not cheap.

He does this as side work - so it can take a few months.

PM me if you want his Contact info.
Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 4:12pm
IMHO, I think the biggest obstacle will be finding a shop willing to do this type work.  Most seem to want to do collision work.  My experience is that a good shop will do what you want.  I used photos and pointed out specifics on my tub when getting the work done.   Once they understood what I wanted, they'd preserve the look during the body work.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 4:30pm
Search for metalshaper on youtube. His name is Brian and he does some amazing stuff. 

He is also on the East Coast I believe.

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

IMHO, I think the biggest obstacle will be finding a shop willing to do this type work.  Most seem to want to do collision work.  My experience is that a good shop will do what you want.  I used photos and pointed out specifics on my tub when getting the work done.   Once they understood what I wanted, they'd preserve the look during the body work.
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

There is a guy I know in Bryan, Ohio who did my 1948 lefty and a 1953 3B with patch panels.  He does excellent work and will do exactly what you ask.  He has won the Mopar Nationals and a bunch of 1930 Ford Awards for his work.  Not cheap.
He does this as side work - so it can take a few months....

I've found there are three types of body shops:
  1. The shops that just take in "typical" collision repair work
  2. The guys who do specifically restoration / show type projects
  3. Shops that do mostly collision repair but will take in special projects

The first type won't touch special stuff like this.  The second will, and will do a great job, but it'll be expensive and they often can't get you in for a long time.  But once you're in you can get a pretty good idea about when you'll get it back.

The third type is what I look for.  They'll take the work, but they'll work on it when they can, in between collision repairs, so it'll get done when it gets done.  They might not be quite the quality that the second type is (emphasis on the "might"), but they are usually more affordable (but still not cheap).

I've found Heritage Auto in Coon Rapids, MN to be a pretty good option in that third category.  I'm not saying that they are Willys experts, and they aren't east coast.  But it's what I can offer.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 5:58pm
Brian Hainer in East Haddam, CT does amazing work with tubs.
He has fabricated two Aggrijeep tubs for restoration projects and can pretty much create anything you need. He also has specially formulated Transmission fluid and Gear oil with no sulfur for vintage gear boxes and transmissions.

E-Mail:
metalshaper@comcast.net

1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 7:13pm
Glenn Vaughn Restorations in Post Falls Idaho. Top notch work.

Back in 2003 or so, the shop charged actual hours instead of book, and at $35/hour. That has doubtless changed somewhat.

A mechanical, body, paint, and upholstery is done in-house. Tires and alignment were outsourced.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 8:04pm
I've seen Metal Shapers work in CT, and I saw the work Jimmy Strauss did on Lyndsay's Willys MA last week in Louisville.

Both can accomplish what you want, but be prepared to start at 3x or 4x the cost of a replacement tub (and worth every penny if you want Factory class restoration)
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 11:16pm
"The Metalshaper" Brian Hainer's work is top-notch and well-known to 2A page denizens. He's in New England, I believe. Has a superb YouTube site dedicated to early Willys restos. 

Another company, Homestead Bodies, is/was based in western New Jersey near the PA border, was focusing on original MB, GPW and early CJ body restos as of recently. Link to their site:  http://obo.homestead.com/originalbodiesonly.html. Can't confirm whether they're still in biz. 
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 2:11am
Hamhog,

What year is the CJ2A you are looking to have the tub reworked on?  How much needs to be done to it?  Hat channels and a few holes, new floors - Give us some idea.

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 3:17am
Don't put wood back in the hat channels.  Nobody's going to know if you use something better.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 4:43am
Agreed on replacing the wooden hat-channel inserts, which were a mistake in the 1940s, with wood today.

Cut some thick-wall tubing to the inside depth of the channel and weld them in to support the clamping load of the fender and body bolts. Forget the wood; it'll start to rot soon. As Ol' Reliable noted, nobody is going check that and won't care anyway.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 1:10pm
Thanks, to all. I’ll try to get some pictures posted in the next few weeks. It’s a late ‘48 that’s not too bad of condition to start with. It has a top on it, which probably helped out with that. Some usual rust and dents. I’m budgeting between $8-$10k for the body. I’ll be doing the majority of the rest myself. What I want to end up with is an as close to factory restoration as I can get. I appreciate all the responses. I’ll probably hit a couple of you up in the near future. Thanks again.
Dave
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 9:54pm
I know it's your money but , damn.
atomicflatulence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomicflatulence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 3:20pm
There's a place in PA right over the bridge from Trenton NJ that specializes in CJ tubs.

Don;t know the name.
'46 cj2a #62239
'47 cj2a #134192
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 6:20am
Originally posted by atomicflatulence atomicflatulence wrote:

There's a place in PA right over the bridge from Trenton NJ that specializes in CJ tubs.

Don;t know the name.

I think that's Dave Peter's place. It's  called Original Bodies Only. Im not sure if he is still doing them or not but here is a link... obo@homestead.com

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>