Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tunisian Red

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tunisian Red
    Posted: 12 Aug. 2022 at 9:32pm
Willys Service Bulletin dated November 10, 1948, mentions that Tunisian Red is a wheel color option for the CJ2A.  From what I can see, it seems to be a darker red than Luzon.

Edited by Hamhog - 12 Aug. 2022 at 9:34pm
Dave
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2022 at 3:24pm
Let’s see a picture!
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2022 at 5:51pm

Edited by Hamhog - 13 Aug. 2022 at 5:53pm
Dave
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2022 at 6:02pm
Interesting; goes to show you about the names they used. It looks almost purple while the Mahogany brown looks much more like a red than it does.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2022 at 3:00pm
Thanks. Is there a picture of a Jeep in the colour ? Here’s a thought…….
The paint chips have to be over 70 years old, as well as distortion from the photo, chemically the chip would have changed over time, so would we ever know what the true colour was other than in a person’s memory.
Oh that was a bit deep, sorry 😀

Edited by JonJ - 15 Aug. 2022 at 3:07pm
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2022 at 3:04pm
My Jeep is in a horrible OD green as the PO really wanted an MB. I want to re do in Pickett Grey. Is there a modern international paint code? One that would be recognised and able to be mixed in the UK?
Mines a 48 so I don’t think I’m far off with the colour choice.

Edited by JonJ - 15 Aug. 2022 at 3:05pm
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2022 at 5:06pm
Good point about the color chips possibly being compromised for original color after all these years. In my youth however, I worked at a parts store and sold automotive paint that we mixed onsite. Non-metallic paints typically matched the chips in our books very well, (assuming care and precision mixing) and I mixed some paints for some cars that were pretty old. 

I wonder how far off the chips could possibly be?
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2022 at 5:17pm
All of the other colors seem pretty close to well-known colors.  I can't say though if any have faded or changed tones.
Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply