Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turn Signal Wiring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turn Signal Wiring
    Posted: 23 Aug. 2018 at 10:46pm
This is the wiring diagram of the turn signal switch I plan on installing(also have a Sparton, but no diagram), all makes sense to me except the wire to the brake light switch, why there? is there a alternate place to connect? Seems as shown, it would be hot only when the brakes are on. Anyone done this recently? any help would be greatly appreciated Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2018 at 11:33pm
Follow the diagram, it is pretty much all there. I fought with a Sparton for a while and got things working. All of your turn signals and brake lights run through your turn signal switch. UMMM, I did figure out how to use my stock tail lights when I was plugged into a tow vehicle without using diodes or anything...
uncamonkey
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

All of your turn signals and brake lights run through your turn signal switch. ...
   Thanks for the reply Unkamonk, What about the wire already on the brake light switch? will there be 2 wires connected to the terminal then? or just the one from the indicator? Thanks again Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 1:09am
There should only be two wires going to the brake light switch. One is a continual hot wire from the battery and the other should go up to the turn signal switch. If you have more wires, Bubba has had his hand in there.
uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 3:26am
  Normally, one wire powers both brake lights (if you have two). That wire has to go to the turn signal switch so that it can disconnect whichever one is to be used for a turn indicator, from the brake light circuit.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 3:36am
The power from the brake light goes through the turn signal switch so that the power goes through the flasher when your brakes are on.  Let's say you are stopped making a left hand turn and you are applying the brakes, the proper taillight will flash, telling folks behind you that you are turning.  Otherwise, the brake light (same element in the bulb as your turn signals) stays on and the person behind you cannot tell you're turning.

'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 4:39am
Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

The power from the brake light goes through the turn signal switch so that the power goes through the flasher when your brakes are on.  Let's say you are stopped making a left hand turn and you are applying the brakes, the proper taillight will flash, telling folks behind you that you are turning.  Otherwise, the brake light (same element in the bulb as your turn signals) stays on and the person behind you cannot tell you're turning.

You are about 1/2 correct as if you are stopping without the turn signal being   turned on everything goes to the brake lights if the lever is not turned on everything goes through the turn signal still.
uncamonkey
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

Otherwise, the brake light (same element in the bulb as your turn signals) stays on and the person behind you cannot tell you're turning.

OK, you guys are getting thru, the problem is I'm running one tail/brake light, and separate single element(one wire) lights for the turn signals front and rear, like I've done before on 6v. The way the brake switch is wired now, one wire from bat, the other wire(where the turn signal is supposed to go in the diagram) goes to the tail/brake light, if I replace the turn signal wire where the tail light wire goes it won't be able to complete the circuit? Put another way, if I run separate turn signals, do I still wire to the brake light switch? Am I over thinking this? Joe W   
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 2:09pm
  if you are using independent rear turning signal lights just connect the rear wires to the terminals with the front signal lights (2 and 4) in the wiring diagram and eliminate 1,3, and 5 and run the wire to the single brake light through the brake light switch.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

if you are using independent rear turning signal lights just connect the rear wires to the terminals with the front signal lights (2 and 4) in the wiring diagram and eliminate 1,3, and 5 and run the wire to the single brake light through the brake light switch.

Jim
     Thanks Jim, that's way too easy, but sure sounds right! Joe W
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2018 at 6:18pm
Well I hooked up the wiring as suggested by WeeWilly(combined the front and rear wires) eliminated 1,3,5 (which seemed right to me) and the only thing that lit up was the light on the indicater, flasher clicked but didn't flash it's a new heavy duty flasher 12v and I know the wires from the flasher are hooked up right, what am I missing? any suggestions? I'm about to go back to hand signals Joe W
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2018 at 1:34am
Please tell us that you are not using LED lights. If so, there's your problem! Led lights do not draw enough amperage to cause a normal flasher to flash. Your heavy duty flasher requires even more amperage than a normal one would for it to work correctly.

Heavy duty flashers are usually used if you are going to be pulling a trailer fairly often with the Jeep. Most folks do not pull a trailer with their CJs.

The only other thing I can think of is, that you are trying to use a 12 Volt flasher on a 6 volt system. IIRC, Your Jeep is 12 volts, correct?
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2018 at 2:16am
Thanks for looking at this cpt logger, I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with this. No leds, 12v single wire alt all wiring,and charging system works as it should. turn signal lights checked with battery charger, I'm wondering about the wiring in the switch, I'm not hooking it up right, maybe it's the wires I eliminated? I have an old DO-Ray that needs new wires that I had hooked up the same only 6v in the before times that worked, maybe try that, I'll also replace the HD flasher see if that helps. Thanks again Joe W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2018 at 3:08am
Yep, my motor home is cranky with LED and regular bulbs unless I have something hooked on the back with regular bulbs. You may want to check into a digital flasher.
uncamonkey
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2018 at 3:54am
If you check the wiring again and it looks good, look into a digital flasher. I tried a thermal flasher on my 6v system and couldn’t get it to work reliably. Sometimes the lights flashed, mostly they didn’t. Swapped in a digital flasher and everything works great now. 
Therightrx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therightrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 1:12am
wired correctly according to the diagram but signals won’t flash; they remain solid. Is this a turn signal “flasher” issue. I have the 3 prong, 12v unit. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 1:39am
Welcome to the page, Therightrx!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 1:40am
Wiring and electrical circuits are a mystery to me.  I use hand signals and lots of people think I am waving at them.  I am sure that flashers are safer because every one is expecting to see them.  I hope to install them on "Popeye" some day.  Until then I will use hand signals.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>