Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turn Signals and parking lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfrazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turn Signals and parking lights
    Posted: 26 Dec. 2011 at 2:18am
Hello all, new to posting, but have read some great posts on here.  I am in the middle of swapping out the parking lamps for the two wire aftermarket lamps (sold by kaiser willys) and mostly finished with rewiring the entire jeep(65 years of "fixes")  also i need to mention my wife is awsome for letting me "play" on christmas.  So  heres the senario...  

Part 1: Replaced all of the wires for the lamps front and rear.  drivers turn signal works great!  Passenger turn signal... shows very dim and not ticking the flasher.   I was very careful to hook the replacement wires back up to the same termials (signals worked before I "improved" them)  Thinking it might be a ground I ran a jumper wire from the base of the lamp to the negitive post of the batery... no change. 

Part 2:  I have an aftermarket (kaiser willys) headlight switch installed, hooked the non-flasher wire for parking lights, both come on great in the middle position, but when I turn on the headlights, (out position on switch) the parking lights turn off.  Is there a way to keep them on in both positons?  

I will admit i am far from being a expert on anything, and this is my first willys project. My intent is to do an updated "functional restoration" Any help would be awsome!

Ted Frazer
46' CJ 2A

Ted
46 CJ2a
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2011 at 2:38am
Don't know anything about kaiser willys switch, but the standard switch is parking lights in 1st position and headlamps in 2nd position. The "parking " lamps were never meant to be on while driving. So, a functional restoration would not have the parking lights on while driving.
BOULDER 48 2A
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2011 at 5:16am
Ted... Sounds like several things here: On the "dim" problem, it could be several things: bulb not seated properly, bad bulb, bad ground (but sounds like you've already tested that), or bad wire connection to directional switch. Did you try swapping the lamp fixtures - or temporarily trying to re-wire the passenger lamp to the driver-side one to see if it is the lamp fixture? If the bulb is dim, there may not be enough voltage to trigger the flasher, so don't stress on that yet (if flasher works okay for driver side it should work okay for pass side). On the "parking light" issue, while there is a terminal on the headlight switch for parking light, Terry is correct that they should not operate in the headlight-on position. However, since you have twin-element parking lights, then you can run the wire for the parking light side of the bulb to the TAIL light terminal of the headlight switch. Then the front parking lights will be on when the taillight is on (which is in both the middle [parking light] and full out [headlight] position). Roger
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
tfrazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfrazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2011 at 5:31am
thanks for the tips...  so i went back out and messed with it some more... now... the hazard lights work... every lamp lights up correctly with the headlights on or off, break lights work....  when i turn off the hazard button, the drivers side (front and back) work perfectly.  the passenger side (that was just working perfectly in hazard mode) shows up very dim not blinking (front and back).  So thinking (hopefuly i am right on this) that the fixtures are good i started tearing into the switch.  im thinking that may be the problem as i can get the drivers side to work but no matter what i do i cant get anything out of the passengers side but a dim light even though i get 12 volts to the switch.
  Anyone have any more thoughts?

Ted
46 CJ2a
tfrazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfrazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2011 at 5:56am
oh and the tail lights are LED but the front are bulbs, not thinking this would matter since the drivers side works fine... but just though i would bring that up...
Ted
46 CJ2a
Clone421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2011 at 6:20am
What turn signal are you using Ted? I have a diagram of a signal stat 800 on me right now, but I doubt you're using that model. But I'll post it anyway if it will help.

Edited by Clone421 - 26 Dec. 2011 at 6:31am
Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1950 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe
1984 Honda VF750F
fredlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2011 at 2:45pm
Thank you for posting that schematic for the signal stat 7 wire unit.  I spent much time figuring out which wire did what on the unit I bought at a swap meet.  However, when I did figure it out and installed it on my '47, it worked great.  I had to add an extra wire to the harness I built and add a 4 wire terminal block on the left front fender as the turn signals/park lights require a separate wire from the dash to each light.  But it was worth the effort as I could use the stock, single filament, 6vt. sockets and bulbs and have working parking lights and working turn signals with the bone stock look.  (With the exception of the 4 terminal block under the hood).  I highly recommend this approach to anyone. 
tfrazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfrazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2011 at 3:46pm
its a Grote universal switch.   and i am going to have to replace it anyhow.  the more i think about it the more convinced that i am that it is either in the flasher  or the switch its self.
Ted
46 CJ2a
tfrazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfrazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2012 at 7:08pm
finaly figured it out... after trying 6 differnet flashers i finaly ended up getting the elctronic equivilentof  standard 550 and it worked.
Ted
46 CJ2a
 Post Reply Post Reply