Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

turning problem, sort of

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJbuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: turning problem, sort of
    Posted: 29 Oct. 2018 at 10:33pm
My son and I finished up the front axle on his 47 CJ2A and mounted it on the frame. No problem. We were putting the stop bolts in and I noticed that the left hub/brakes wouldn't turn back (like in a left hand turn). It stopped dead on straight and it was a solid hit, ie a solid obstruction. We played around and finally determined it was the filler plug on the knuckle. When I backed out the plug a few turns, everything was fine. Weird. I guess I'll screw it in til it hits the knuckle, them back it out a thread or so and crush a few exposed threads to limit the depth the plug will go in. I want to make sure the plug doesn't rattle loose and fall out going down the road.
Ron
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2018 at 10:43pm
Put a couple wraps of teflon tape on the plug. That will tighten it sooner and keep it from vibrating loose.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2018 at 11:16pm
If it’s going in to far, grind or machine it off, what sticks through is of no benefit anyway

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2018 at 5:26am
Same thing happened with mine. Go with the teflon tape, several turns of.

DonH
1946CJ2A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2018 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

If it’s going in to far, grind or machine it off, what sticks through is of no benefit anyway

Lee

x2 Smile
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply