Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tuttle Creek Kansas with The Qwaaazy 8s - Event Date: 18 Oct. 2019 - 19 Oct. 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 3:24pm
Our trip home turned out to be more of an adventure than we planned. 
We knocked off a little early on Saturday and 9 of us  went to an early afternoon at the Texas Longhorn Steak house. That was awesome. Thanks to all that joined us. We wanted to beat the K State football game crowd to the restaurant and get a few miles down the road to home in Northern Utah. It's about 15 hours drive time if you have an uneventful trip. We didn't.

We made it to York Nebraska knocking 3 hours off our drive time, and spent the night there.
We hit the road at 5:30 Utah time (6:30 York time) and had a pleasant drive across Nebraska. About the time we hit the Wyoming border the 40-60 mph wind gusts started hitting us and by the time we got to Cheyenne the snow had started and I80 between Cheyenne and Laramie was closed. 

Google maps said that a 2 lane State road was open that could get us to Laramie, so off we went. The snow was blowing sideways and getting packed on the road as we wound up and down and around the hills of Wyoming. About halfway there we came to a flashing sign saying the road ahead was closed. We pulled over and waited for a while. Finally some cars came through from the other side and some cares went on, so we did too. Wasn't really any worse that what we had already seen and we made it to Laramie. 
I80 from Laramie to Rawlins was also closed most of the way. After sitting around in McDonalds for a wile we found that Google Maps said that we could get on state road 12 and get through.  We figured "what the heck" my pickup has 4wd and moving slow is better than not moving so off we went. 

Stat road 12 passed back and forth under I80 a few times and we could see that there was no traffic on it but it really didn't look that bad. Pretty soon 12 started to get narrower and narrower and at times the blowing snow made visibility only a few feet. Pretty soon the road was no longer marked with a center line. And then the pavement ended. We consulted with our friend Google to make sure we were still on the recommended  route, and we were. We went quite a few more miles on the dirt road, passing under the freeway several more times and over many cattle guards, through herds of cattle and through what seemed like peoples ranch yards. Finally we reached state road 13 that was paved and very slushy and slippery. After a few miles on 13 we came to an on ramp for I80. There was no barrier or closed sign so up we went. 

Sand trucks and plows had been by but there was no other traffic. Very weird traveling down a major freeway on a weekend and not seeing any traffic in either direction. The road was snow packed and sanded so we didn't have any trouble. After Rawlins the road and the weather cleared up and we were able to roll on home at freeway speed. 

The 12 hour trip ended up taking us 16 hours.

Here's a picture at the rest stop after we got out of the worst of it.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 3:32pm

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Our trip home turned out to be more of an adventure than we planned. 
We knocked off a little early on Saturday and 9 of us  went to an early afternoon at the Texas Longhorn Steak house. That was awesome. Thanks to all that joined us. We wanted to beat the K State football game crowd to the restaurant and get a few miles down the road to home in Northern Utah. It's about 15 hours drive time if you have an uneventful trip. We didn't.

We made it to York Nebraska knocking 3 hours off our drive time, and spent the night there.
We hit the road at 5:30 Utah time (6:30 York time) and had a pleasant drive across Nebraska. About the time we hit the Wyoming border the 40-60 mph wind gusts started hitting us and by the time we got to Cheyenne the snow had started and I80 between Cheyenne and Laramie was closed. 

Google maps said that a 2 lane State road was open that could get us to Laramie, so off we went. The snow was blowing sideways and getting packed on the road as we wound up and down and around the hills of Wyoming. About halfway there we came to a flashing sign saying the road ahead was closed. We pulled over and waited for a while. Finally some cars came through from the other side and some cares went on, so we did too. Wasn't really any worse that what we had already seen and we made it to Laramie. 
I80 from Laramie to Rawlins was also closed most of the way. After sitting around in McDonalds for a wile we found that Google Maps said that we could get on state road 12 and get through.  We figured "what the heck" my pickup has 4wd and moving slow is better than not moving so off we went. 

Stat road 12 passed back and forth under I80 a few times and we could see that there was no traffic on it but it really didn't look that bad. Pretty soon 12 started to get narrower and narrower and at times the blowing snow made visibility only a few feet. Pretty soon the road was no longer marked with a center line. And then the pavement ended. We consulted with our friend Google to make sure we were still on the recommended  route, and we were. We went quite a few more miles on the dirt road, passing under the freeway several more times and over many cattle guards, through herds of cattle and through what seemed like peoples ranch yards. Finally we reached state road 13 that was paved and very slushy and slippery. After a few miles on 13 we came to an on ramp for I80. There was no barrier or closed sign so up we went. 

Sand trucks and plows had been by but there was no other traffic. Very weird traveling down a major freeway on a weekend and not seeing any traffic in either direction. The road was snow packed and sanded so we didn't have any trouble. After Rawlins the road and the weather cleared up and we were able to roll on home at freeway speed. 

The 12 hour trip ended up taking us 16 hours.

Here's a picture at the rest stop after we got out of the worst of it.

Stan, sorry you had such a rough ride home! There is nothing more miserable than towing a trailer in weather like that. However it was good to finally meet you and wheel with you. Grandpa's Jeep did not disappoint. It was like it was built for Midwest wheeling. Very impressive. In my opinion, you out wheeled me on my home turf.

Edited by AKoller - 21 Oct. 2019 at 4:31pm
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 5:01pm
Thanks for all the great shots and vids!  Paul did more picture taking than I did, I have about 10 on my phone, and they would only be duplicates if I post them here.
What a surprisingly great place to wheel!  I had to remind myself we were still in Kansas a few times!  We will make it back to that playground for sure!
Our early departure to drive the Flint Hills was worth the extra effort.  All country roads, and some not really roads at all...thru miles of some of the last unmolested tall prairie grass remaining. Lots of planning yet to do, but I'm thinking that the south/north run thru the hills will be a blast.  I'll start a thread on that as we start to form the plans.

All in all, a great weekend, great weather, and really great people!  Thats what always makes it worthwhile, you guys are the best!  Thanks for putting it together Stan!  Glad you made it home safely!.

She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

Stan, sorry you had such a rough ride home! There is nothing more miserable than towing a trailer in weather like that. However it was good to finally meet you and wheel with you. Grandpa's Jeep did not disappoint. It was like it was built for Midwest wheeling. Very impressive. In my opinion, you out wheeled me on my home turf.

Alan, I had an awesome time in Kansas. I really enjoyed the new and different experience. I think I said it on the one muddy waterfall climb, "something is just not right about your dirt." I had to really work for it there, but it was loads of fun.
I also had a great time at dinner and just talking with you and the others that I met. The flat fender community is a pretty awesome brotherhood.

And the blizzard we got to drive through on the way home was just a different type of adventure. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 6:38pm
It looks like everyone had a great time & made it home safely. I was really looking forward to meeting Stan & seeing all of the guys again. Sorry that I missed out. My Jeepin adventure ended late Friday night with my truck broke down on the side of the highway. I'm enjoying the photos & videos.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 7:23pm

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 7:52pm
That guy is crazy!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Cj3bmutt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cj3bmutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 10:48pm
What a great day of wheeling Saturday was between the weather and the group of flat fenders that came together with Stan setting it up along with everyone else that helped plan the trip. It was nice to meet Stan and see grandpas jeep in person.  Glad you made it home safe Stan.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2019 at 6:22pm
Day 1:

The Q8’s took a bit of a beating at first but the video gets better as it goes. Of course Blueberry and Olive ruled all day.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2019 at 7:00pm
Looks like a great time in Kansas!

Stan - glad you got home ok.  I ran into tough weather on I80 through Wyoming last January... I can relate to that.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2019 at 3:28am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2019 at 3:05pm
I really want to thank everyone that showed up at Tuttle Creek to help give this Rocky Mountain boy a taste of wheeling the Midwest. It meant a lot to me to have so many of you show up and hang out with us for a couple of days. This was some of the toughest and funnest wheeling we've ever done. I'll still take the views and traction we have out here, but that was a great test for me and Grampa's Jeep.

Jeff has done a great job with his videos showing how it went for the whole group. I put this video together that mostly focuses on me and Grampa's Jeep and how we fared in the unfamiliar terrain of Kansas.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
kswillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kswillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2019 at 3:30am
Hey Guys looks like you had a blast at Tuttle. I'm new to the page. I don't actually have a cj2a but have wheeled cj5's pretty heavily. Im currently building a willys truck. I live in Kansas and explore the flint hills a lot. This is a picture of Teter rock Id love to go on a run through the flint hills. You can drive for 40 miles through old 2 track roads full of rocks and crossing streams and cattle guards. Theres actually road signs and old abandoned towns in the middle of cow pastures. Anyway I also have a fbook group called Vintage Ventures thats about taking older vehicles on cool trips. I joined the CJ2a page after seeing how much you guys get out and wheel and thought this may be a good group to build a rig to join in with of like minded individuals somewhat in this area. 
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2019 at 1:51am
kswillys, welcome to the "page". Really liked your post about the "Flint Hills" trip. We didn't go with Ricco but Paul's pictures were fabulous. My mother grew up near the park and she told me many stories about the "hills". Looking forward to taking the little trip you described. 
Also liked your Willys pickup. 

Till we meet.
Fuzz
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2020 at 3:07am
Hi all,

A few Q8’s’ went back to Tuttle Creek today:

It was just a little bit muddy this time .....

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2020 at 5:11pm
DANG! love the last pic!
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2020 at 11:37pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>