Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T'was a good day.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clayvt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T'was a good day.
    Posted: 05 Aug. 2017 at 1:08am
I took my jeep on its longest journey to date. A 243 mile round trip drive that took me to one national monument and one national forest. 
The plan was to go to white sands national monument and come home. It did so well we decided to head up towards cloud Croft, NM and stop at the "apple barn" which is a country store that has amazing fresh made fudge. 
Finished up some hot dogs and fudge and decided to push further up the mountain and actually hit cloudcroft at just about 9K feet elevation. 
Made it successfully up the mountain with no overheating. Puttered about town for a few minutes and saw two older guys staring at me and looked like they wanted to check out the jeep. I slowed down and pulled over to talk and discovered one was the judge for the town. He and his buddy were out recruiting for the local VFW and a golf tournament. He saw my vet plate and begged me to join their post. 
I want to join, just not at a post 1.5 hours away in a modern car. 
After that encounter we said to heck with it and pushed further into the Lincoln national forest and headed to Sunspot since my girlfriend had never been. 
Sunspot is a solar observatory built in the late 50's and is still in use today. The workers were making preparations for the upcoming eclipse. 
Clouds started to roll in so it was time to head home. Made it safely back home with a great trip under our belts!

Edited by clayvt - 05 Aug. 2017 at 1:11am
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2017 at 1:50am
Nice looking rig! Sounds like it was a really nice outing.

For your information, almost ALL VFW's allow anyone with a current membership card from any post into their post canteen. If you are considering joining, please do. Your membership in the VFW helps to send the word to Washington about veteran's concerns...and it's a great place to meet other veterans and socialize if you are into that.

Ed Jones
Life member VFW Post 1186
Army, Vietnam, 1966-68
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2017 at 10:48am
Cool story, in a very snazzy jeep. Thanks for sharing. Joe
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2017 at 2:46pm
Awesome tripClap
Great looking jeep. 
Thanks for the story and pictures. 
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2017 at 2:49pm
Great trip!  This is the kind of stuff I used to do in my old daily driver CJ5.  Just hop in it and follow the front bumper.  If anyone asked where we were going, "the Jeep knows the way".  
SlowPocono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowPocono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2017 at 1:34am
Nice dog too!
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2017 at 3:01pm
I just joined up, this is my first post here.  I just wanted to say how much I like your jeep.  Clean, simple and reliable.  I don't own one yet, but getting interested and starting to look around.  30+ years ago I had a Willys wagon, but its long gone now.
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply