Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two Worm Gear Steering Shafts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two Worm Gear Steering Shafts
    Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 7:03pm
In an earlier post I talked about my frustrating experience replacing the worm gear steering shaft as I rebuilt the Ross box in my 48CJ2A.  I was frustrated because the new worm gear shaft from Kaiser Willys was different from the original shaft.  The photo below illustrates this difference.  The top shaft is from KW: bottom shaft is very likely the 1948 original.  As I compare the two they are machined differently.  Full disclosure:  KW readily offered to provide a prepaid UPS label to return the shaft for a full refund.  That is good customer service.  They are willing to stand behind the products they sell.

Rodney Frey
48 CJ2A
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 7:21pm
The original one doesn't look too bad to use from what I can see.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 8:44pm
Good on KW for the refund and making it right for you. The least they can do. Honest mistakes can happen.

The real problem seems to be they don't really know what they're advertising and selling? Did they say anything like "we mixed up the parts bin and sent you the wrong item?", or "we made a mistake and sent you the shaft for a truck?", or "the new guy filled your order and we're re-training him?". Did you get any kind of explanation? It's already seems evident they don't have the correct part to sell.

Do you think you're the first time this happened for this part? We'll never know. My bet is you got crickets for a response....and your wrong part will get put back on the shelf and sold again to the next guy? I'm not sure what's worse, a vendor who doesn't actually know what he's selling, or one that knowingly sells wrong or defective parts? Either one makes me cringe.

Pre-paid return label? That doesn't qualify as good customer service in my book. Express shipping the correct part for free (with an apology) would.

Somebody in this forum is fond of saying "Omix-Ada strikes again". LOL

I cringe when I get unlabeled and unmarked parts. Can't even tell who made it, much less what part number they think it is.  Learned the hard way to inspect this stuff carefully (with calipers if necessary) before bothering to install them. Saves a lot of grief.

Especially for things like steering components. Same for brake parts. Way too much crapola being sold in the market to risk life or limb on.

Go to any auto parts store and you get a packaged item marked with a part number and who made it (including where). Why should we accept anything less?

Edited by Ron D - 23 Sep. 2021 at 10:27pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
rodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 11:51pm
Ron,

I didn't ask KW to send another shaft, hoping that it would be different from the one they sent.  I assumed all their shafts were the same ilk.

You make a good point when you wonder if the incorrectly machined worm gear shaft will be restocked and sent to another customer. 
Rodney Frey
48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply