Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ultrasonic Cleaners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ultrasonic Cleaners
    Posted: 16 Oct. 2022 at 6:21pm
  A while back I bought an ultrasonic cleaner. I’ve been wondering what folks use in them for solution. The instruction manual says to use water with a bit of “ washing up fluid “. ??  I filled it with water and gave it a generous squirt of Dawn dish soap. I’m not impressed. I gave it more soap but didn’t really see any difference. So I decided to try something different. (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lPQptu5CYi4 )
I bought a gallon of Simple Green but I dont know how much to cut it with water, or if it will even work. The label says to mix with water anywhere from 0 parts water to 1 part SG, up to 30 parts water to 1, no help. 
  So those who use ultrasonic, what do you use, how strong do you mix it, and how does it work?
Thanks for the help. BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2022 at 6:58pm
how about some TSP?

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2022 at 7:25pm
Purple Power, diluted according to the label, from Tractor Supply or wherever might sell it locally. 
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2022 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

A while back I bought an ultrasonic cleaner. I’ve been wondering what folks use in them for solution. The instruction manual says to use water with a bit of “ washing up fluid “. ??  I filled it with water and gave it a generous squirt of Dawn dish soap. I’m not impressed. I gave it more soap but didn’t really see any difference. So I decided to try something different. (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lPQptu5CYi4 )
I bought a gallon of Simple Green but I dont know how much to cut it with water, or if it will even work. The label says to mix with water anywhere from 0 parts water to 1 part SG, up to 30 parts water to 1, no help. 
  So those who use ultrasonic, what do you use, how strong do you mix it, and how does it work?
Thanks for the help. BW 

I usually put about a cup of simple green in & top off with HOT water. Works great & you don't have to wait for the heat element to warm it up. The hotter the better it works.
 Experiment with it
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2022 at 8:08pm
  “According to the label”….
Is Purple Power any more specific than Simple Green’s “anywhere between 0- and 30-to-1”?
BW 

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2022 at 8:13pm
  I dont have time to “experiment with it”. Im 72 years old and I have projects to complete. I want something that works, like the old Zep products that saved us so much time and elbow grease in the past. But that stuff is not available any more. If I wanted to spend time experimenting i would not have asked. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 16 Oct. 2022 at 8:14pm

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2022 at 8:47pm
  Please pardon my impatience. To quote Doc Brown, “Does anything work in the future?”
BW 

willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2022 at 9:14pm
Bruce... did you plug it up?? Sorry, my bad.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2022 at 8:38am
We always used stoddard solvent and/or penetrating oil in the one where I used to work. It’s the only place I ever saw one used. It was used for cleaning fuel injectors on airplanes and cleaning rusty bits and pieces. The penetrating oil came into the mix if the part had something seized. 

I get my Purple Power from Dollar General. Good stuff. I use it straight to remove heavy grease and oil residues. 

Edited by Jeff J - 17 Oct. 2022 at 8:41am
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2022 at 12:31pm
WillyT,
  “plug it up”?  Sounds like Brit-speak for “plug it in”. Otherwise there’s nothing to plug but the drain. No circulation system. 
And yes, I did plug it in. 😁 Thanks. 

oldmansimek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmansimek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2022 at 7:16am
Is the machine you have heated or just ultrasonic?  Most ultrasonic machines that dont circulate/filter the water can use just about anything.  I would recommend looking into getting an actual ultrasonic soap something like Dirl-Lum typically these are a powder soap, we use 4oz per gallon of water.  It really depends what you are cleaning and if you don't have a heated tank they are not going to do great at removing grease or oil.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2022 at 10:55am
  Yeah, it is a heated unit. It’s a cheap piece of chinese XXXX, maybe thats the problem. Small engine and motorcycle guys on YouTube seem to have good luck with them and give good reviews. Internal passages and such in carburetors and such is what i had in mind to clean, but this wont even get the dirt and grease out of the external nooks and crannies. I put some greasy oily bolts in a jar full of cleaning solvent, sealed it up and submerged it in the water in the tank. Ran it several hours, twenty minutes at a time, and could just as well have let them soak in the parts washer. When you first turn it on you can see bubbles coming from the parts so it must be doing something. 
  The tumbler from Eastwood got great reviews too. It works fine on cartridge brass but is worthless on small automotive parts. It won’t touch rust or paint. Im about disgusted with this stuff. 
BW 

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2022 at 12:08am
Bruce, get you some lye (powder drain cleaner) from any good hardware store or even Walmart (I saw some there in the home plumbing aisle just this week).  Lye is a sodium hydroxide powder that is added to water to form a caustic solution and is what we used in our heated radiator vats.  Will do a great job of stripping paint and grease, especially if you heat it.  Do NOT put any aluminum or alloy parts in this solution because it will eat it up.  I don’t know how big your cleaner is, so I can’t tell you how much to add to plain water.  You want the solution to be at least a pH of 10; 12 will be even better.  Careful tho, this solution will burn your skin.

Edit:  just read your post about wanting to clean carbs.   The throttle body will be fine because it’s cast iron.  The air horn portion and other alloy materials can be cleaned with this caustic solution if you don’t let it sit for too long.  You can also reduce the pH to 8-9 and run a test batch watching for signs of erosion.  It will definitely clean it.  For carbs, tho, nothing beats Berryman’s B12, even in the ultrasonicThumbs Up

Edited by Rick G - 19 Oct. 2022 at 12:16am
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
oldmansimek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmansimek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2022 at 7:15am
If you can't feel a weird vibration (reminds me of running nails across a chalkboard but with no sound) and you can't see tension, for lack of a better word, on the surface of the water it's not working.  You can also test it with a piece of aluminum foil, turn unit on while holding a folded piece off aluminum foil in the tank roughly the width of the tank (dont put your hands in the tank) hold it for about a minute when you pull it out you should see little holes in the foil, if not it no work.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2022 at 11:52am
Well - It buzzes and vibrates, and the lid makes a racket, and tiny bubbles appear from the parts in the solution, whatever it may be at the time.  And I didnt say that it did nothing, it’s just that I was not impressed. 
  Ive got the simple green, I guess I might as well try it, but I dont know where to start. One-to-one? I could add more water if doesn’t need to be that strong, but how would I know? Start weak (8 or 10 to one?) and add SG if needed? I guess I will have to do some experimenting. 
  Mostly, I just want to clean smaller parts that don’t normally have dinosaur sh!t baked on. Carburetors, fuel pumps, wiper motors, etc. 
  Thanks all for your help and comments. 
BW 

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2022 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

.....For carbs, tho, nothing beats Berryman’s B12, even in the ultrasonicThumbs Up

Ditto....my favorite cleaner. Thumbs Up
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2022 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

.....For carbs, tho, nothing beats Berryman’s B12, even in the ultrasonicThumbs Up

Ditto....my favorite cleaner. Thumbs Up

Still disappointing though, compared to the old Zep stuff. 😢
BW 

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2022 at 1:16pm
  Well, I gave it a try. I cut the Simple Green with water, 5 to 1 SG, turned it on and let it heat up, then put a carb body and bowl cover in that still had dirt and crud left on/in them from the water/dish soap solution. It cleaned them up very well, but of course they had a head start. I may have run it longer than needed, I ran it 3-4 twenty minute sessions. Next time I’ll check the parts after each session and I may add a bit more water. I have a really nasty WO to do that should be a good test. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 21 Oct. 2022 at 1:17pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>