Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Uncompliant Windshield Adjusting Arm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uncompliant Windshield Adjusting Arm
    Posted: 18 May 2021 at 7:56am
The passenger side windshield adjusting arm on my '46 wouldn't close properly, and that side of the windshield would stick out about an inch.  When I tried to close the windshield adjusting arm the dimples wouldn't line up, and to get them to line up I'd have to push the windshield out.  If I moved the windshield out about six inches both adjusting arms would be even and properly lock.  I figured I had a bum adjusting arm so got another one from Walck's, and it does the same problem.

Is the problem a misaligned mounting bracket on the inner or outer windshield?  My serial number is 47738, so I assume it would have come with lollipops and not military arms.  When I got the jeep it had lollipops mixed in with the parts horde, but lots of the parts I got with the jeep were not original or even for a CJ2a.

Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 8:12am
seems strange. If the drivers side works why not just swap sides and see if it works on the passenger side. obviously if the result is the same there is a problem with the frame and not the lolly pops.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
John Cotner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 12:23pm
I swapped them earlier, and the problem persisted.  I figured there was a difference between the driver and passenger side, so I got the new passenger side unit from Walck's.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 1:06pm

Here's the offending adjusting arm.

Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 1:36pm
     If you take the arms off both sides of the frame, close the inner frame and if it closes even on both sides you will know if the adjusters are the problem.   With the inner frame in the closed position see if the arm holes line up where it fastens to the frame.   If they don't you will have to adjust the brackets or modify the the holes in the arms.

Jim 
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 4:32pm
I had this issue with my 46, and I think you have the same problem. If you notice the stop on the outer window frame ( the bent over part ). It looks like it was bent wrong, it should be thickness when looking at it from the view in your photo. Yours appears to be wider at the bottom, witch does not let the adjuster come far enough in. 
Jay
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 4:34pm
On the outer frame of the windshield measure from the bottom of the frame opening to the enter of the welded bracket on the outer frame on both sides of the jeep. The measurement should be the same. If it isn't, the you may have to cut the welds on the welded bracket and move it ***up*** enough so that the arm will hang straight. Unfortunately you will have to repaint the windshield frame.

Or you could cut a short length out of the arm bracket and reweld that...

***edited for correction***

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 19 May 2021 at 1:00pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

BUTA46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BUTA46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 7:13pm
I’m not sure you have them installed in the correct order. This is how all of the ‘46 windshields I have are

BUTA- Back Up Try Again

46 CJ2A #73349   “Poison Icky”
46 CJ2A #51119.   “Rock Sand”
46 CJ2A #80102.   “Marilyn Jean”
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 8:44pm
It looks like the mounting bracket on the inner windshield frame may be backwards?

- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 9:04pm
So, I had to go in the garage to check out how my hinges are installed and I’m now more confused? Here are mine.. I’m sorry for any incorrect statements.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 6:44am
Thanks for the good info.  With the adjusting arms off, the inner windshield closes flush and square.   My inner windshield mount looks different than Buta46 windshield mounts, which may be the problem.  I'll try moving the inner adjusting arm to the outside of the bracket first.  The outer and inner windshield frames are pretty fragile, and I doubt I'd be able to grind the brackets off and leave enough metal to do a decent re-weld.  I'd likely have to get new frames if it gets to that.    
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 8:30am
Since you have an extra it might be easier to just cut and reweld one of the arms to fit than to try and modify the bracket....just guessing.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 11:31am
 From looking at your pic it looks like you either have to make the short arm shorter or the long arm longer and just guessing about 3/8".

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 12:14pm
 I would just remove the outer frame mounting bracket (because it's easy to cut those welds) and move it up to the point where it no longer causes the binding shown in the photo.  I'd estimate the bracket will need to moved up about 1/4"--3/8".  Same basic idea that WeeWilly is suggesting.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 12:58pm
Good catch Tim! In my original post above I suggested that the bracket be moved down and that would cause even a worse bind. I went back and edited my post. Thanks!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 1:07pm
That would be the correct way to do it of course (not denying that),  was just trying to save painting the windshield and he mentioned he had an extra set of arms.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 3:19pm
  If the length of one of the arms is changed, it could make the inner close and look right, but the geometry of the folding arms would be changed and may affect the way it opens and/or make it crooked when open. If it’s never opened, then no big deal. 
  Just throwin’ that out there .....
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 19 May 2021 at 3:20pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 6:33pm
Before you cut the mounts off measure from top and see if they are the same. I'm betting its the stop not letting the adjuster come back far enough to close the inner completely. I had to look at a few windows before i figured mine out.
jay
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>