Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unexpected Car Show

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unexpected Car Show
    Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 4:23am
My day turned out different than expected. LOL

A friend of mine (with '64 'Vette) called around noon, to invite me to a local car show.   He said that his intention was to let me know earlier, and that an old Jeep might add some variety to the show.   Also that this is fund raiser for local fire department,  so a good cause.

Sounded like more fun than the chores I was planning,Smile  so decided to head out there for a couple hours.

So glad I went . .  lots of really nice entries to check out . .   also,  the old '2A generated a lot of interest.  haha

Photo after some had left  (Wilson looks lonely in the background,  haha).    There were some really cool cars at show . . .  I particularly like the 60-70's muscle cars,  but this "rat rod" might be my favorite. LOL

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 4:30am
Thanks for sharing your fun day with us.Clap 
Way better than doing chores Dead

That rat rod is crazy!
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 4:32am
Not sure why,  but I love these things.  haha.    This is not a great photo to show "impressive" it is.  

It is HUGE.   I can't imagine what it must be like to be driving down the road and come across it.

It was fun to look at all the creative little details that the owner put into it.

Edited by JeepFever - 23 Aug. 2020 at 4:38am
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 4:38am
Yah it’s kinda hard to stop looking at it... I don’t normally like the slammed chopped rat rods... but yah kinda like it!
20” truck tires and air brakes on the front axle. 
What engine?? 
I’m hoping screaming jimmy!!
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 4:59am
I am not sure on engine,  but is was huge,  with large turbo.  Maybe a diesel?   (should have checked for spark plugs,  haha)

Unfortunately I was only there a couple hours,  and did not see an opportunity to talk with owner.  (he stayed busy,  haha)

My time was consumed with checking out the other entries,  (probably around 60 or so),   visiting with some friends,  and fielding questions about my '2A  Smile   
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 1:18pm
It always makes me smile that you can drop a little ol' jeep amongst almost any arrangement of vehicles, some of which have more money and hours in just the paint, and the flatty will draw more than it's fair share of interest LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2020 at 3:01am
I have taken my jeep to a lot of car shows over the year and its always a favorite especially with the kids. I let them get in it and they love that.
I was at one that was a fund raiser for disabled kids and they got to vote the winners for all the classes they had and some how I came home with the best convertible trophy when there had to be a couple of dozen nice convertible show cars in the show. Got to love them kids. Always great people at the shows.
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
calndrman View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calndrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2020 at 3:31am
I go to many Friday night "cruise-ins". When kids come by I always ask them if they had touched anything which is usually followed by a quick "no" from them and their parents. I then invite them to climb up in the Jeep and beep the horn and get a picture. Their eyes get as big as saucers when I drop the windshield as they have never seen anything like that before.  My favorite comment was from a little boy who came up to me one night and said, "Mister, last year you let me beep the horn on your Jeep, can I do that again?" You never know what will leave a big impression on someone.
Bruce
1949 2A
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2020 at 3:56am
I have not been to many car shows or cruise-ins,  but as you three share,  it can be a fun experience.  

Several years ago,  I went to a show,  mainly to support a sister church's food stand (and of course to see the cars).   I parked more in the spectator section,  but was surprised how many people came over to look at Wilson.   My hamburger got cold while answering questions.  haha 

The best experience though was when a young boy,  maybe 12 years old or so,  came by.   He seemed very professional in his questions.  "How long have you had it"  "Did you do work on it yourself" etc. . .  but I really got a kick out one of his comments ->  "if there was an award for "most levers",  you would win that" LOL     

At that time Wilson had 5  (tranny, 2xfer, OD, and PTO).  Very observant kid.
  edit:  actually as I think about it . .  there were 6 levers, if you could the floor-mounted parking brake.

Edited by JeepFever - 26 Aug. 2020 at 4:39pm
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2020 at 1:36pm
We've had car shows where I work.  It's a small company so very small shows, but still fun.

But the show I really remember was one when I was the kid.  It was 1980, I was 16, and my dad and I were rebuilding a 1929 Model A Tudor sedan.  A Model A club had a show inside a local mall and I was looking over another 1929 Tudor, seeing what I could learn from it, when a dad and his ~14 year old son came up.  The dad said to his kid "I learned to drive in a car just like that one."  I responded "so did I!"

I did get a chance to talk with the car's owner.  He invited me behind the rope and let me look it over more closely.  He also told me about another show they were having soon so I went there as well.

It's funny to think that as antique and obsolete as my 1929 Model A was in 1980, it was "only" 51 years old at that time!  All these flatfenders are ~75 years old now.  Heck, even my '71 Bronco (which while certainly older doesn't seem like anything approaching antique) is 49 now!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2020 at 1:19pm
Funny how our vehicles are getting older but we are staying the same! Last year I took Grasshopper to a local car show - they invited me right in, parked me right next to a bunch of shiny muscle cars, and made me feel welcome!
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
calndrman View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calndrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2020 at 3:45am
Another quick story....I was at a cruise in and was approached by a lady organizing a fundraising event for the Make A Wish organization. The event was to be held at a local dirt race track. They were inviting a great variety of cars from Lamborghinis to draft racers to Rolls and everything in between but did not have a Jeep. She didn't have to ask me twice.

Each vehicle was assigned to a group of ten. We individually circled the track five times.  People in the audience were given access to a phone app where they could bid on the chance to ride in the vehicle of their choice after the preliminary round.

I watched the cars ahead of me circling the track going very fast and sliding around the banked turns. When it was my turn, I entered the track and let all 60 hp go to work. I probably hit 45 mph a few times.  But I had an ace up my sleeve.  In the middle of the track was a huge pile of dirt, probable as big as two school buses side by side, used for filling ruts.  Before I went on the track I locked the front hubs and after my first lap, I stopped in front of the dirt pile, put in low range, engaged the front axle and climbed up and over the dirt pile! Of course, I had to stop at the top and wave to the crowd. At first the announcer was a bit speechless but soon raved about me doing something so one else there could do.

At the end of the biding, I had two passengers who bid to ride in the Jeep and climb over the mound of dirt. They didn't care if we circled the track or not.  
Bruce
1949 2A
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2020 at 4:13am

That is a great story!!   Smile

edit:   this had me LOL - >  "I entered the track and let all 60 hp go to work. I probably hit 45 mph a few times. "

Edited by JeepFever - 28 Aug. 2020 at 4:15am
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2020 at 4:27am
Originally posted by Barry S Barry S wrote:

Funny how our vehicles are getting older but we are staying the same! Last year I took Grasshopper to a local car show - they invited me right in, parked me right next to a bunch of shiny muscle cars, and made me feel welcome!

This reminds me of a time, many years ago.    My wife and I thought we would check out a local "Steam and Gas" show.   The weather was nice,  and I thought it would be fun to take a drive in Wilson.     We had wait in line at the entrance.  There was someone directing traffic at the end of that line. .   all the cars in front of me were directed to the right,  to a field for parking. . . we were directed to the left,  which puzzled me,  but it led eventually to a parking spot into the "exhibition" area.   Kinda cool,  and my wife liked that we did not have to walk so far to event.  haha
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2020 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

This reminds me of a time, many years ago.    My wife and I thought we would check out a local "Steam and Gas" show.   The weather was nice,  and I thought it would be fun to take a drive in Wilson.     We had wait in line at the entrance.  There was someone directing traffic at the end of that line. .   all the cars in front of me were directed to the right,  to a field for parking. . . we were directed to the left,  which puzzled me,  but it led eventually to a parking spot into the "exhibition" area.   Kinda cool,  and my wife liked that we did not have to walk so far to event.  haha

Reminds me of a story my parents told me.  After they were empty-nesters my dad bought an MG replicar built on a VW chassis for my mom (an MG was always her dream car and they had a few V-dubs earlier in their marriage and always had a soft spot for them).  One Saturday evening, just for something to do, they decided to drive to a town on the river that was having a parade.  When they got there they were asked if they'd drive in the parade.  Of course they agreed!

That brings up another funny story with that car.  I borrowed it once on a nice spring day to take a drive with my then-girlfriend (who's now my wife).  Her dad was a big car guy and she thought he'd like to see it so she called her folks and asked if we could come over to show them something.  Her parents seemed very disappointed that it was only my parents car!  But on the plus side, it left no doubt that they'd be OK with having me as a son-in-law!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
 Post Reply Post Reply