Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unknown Engines and Transmission

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unknown Engines and Transmission
    Posted: 17 Mar. 2021 at 6:04pm
Good Afternoon Everyone: 

Does anyone on the forum know what these engines are for.  I am guessing that they predate the jeep engines but am truly clueless.  Ideas?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Walter

jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2021 at 8:24pm
I am most likely wrong, but the pic looking straight down onto the head, right next to  the thermoset housing, it looks' like IH stamped in it.

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Vintage Don View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2021 at 9:25pm
They "feel" like late '20s and into the '30s engines, in general. The head bolt pattern and much of the layout is like a Willys of the early Jeep era, but obviously there are differences,too. 
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2021 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by jeepsterjim jeepsterjim wrote:

I am most likely wrong, but the pic looking straight down onto the head, right next to  the thermoset housing, it looks' like IH stamped in it.

I could be wrong too, but I believe what you are talking about is actually the letters "IN" as in intake. Following it is the letters "EX" as in exhaust.

On the line above is "TAPPETS HOT".

Above that is the firing order: 1 3 4 2

The intake tappet lash is .004" I can not make out the exhaust lash. Could be .006"
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 12:37am
I’m not sure this is helpful, but looking at how the carburetor would be side mounted on the manifold, and the way the peddles look on the bell housing reminds of an old tractor..... 
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 1:54am
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

I’m not sure this is helpful, but looking at how the carburetor would be side mounted on the manifold, and the way the peddles look on the bell housing reminds of an old tractor..... 

And many old cars as well. Ford hung their clutch pedal in the bellhousing for a long time. Keep in mind, the engine that got Willys Overland the contract to build the jeep was used by them for a long time before 1940, and had a lot of improvements along the way. I don’t know about the transmission, but I’d be willing to bet my lunch that that is a Willys engine. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 2:04am
My vote is old tractor as well. Just enough things that are different.
john
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 4:58am
where is the distributor? And an updraft carb!
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 8:01am
Like Mark W said, "where is the distributor?"

My answer is: It could be that the Magneto was mounted to the front side of the timing case in the hole with the strap behind it. That strap could be for a generator. Thus, the magneto & the generator shared a gear that was driven by the camshaft gear either directly or indirectly through another gear. Is there a gear in the timing case there to drive a magneto & the generator, or is the camshaft gear right there to drive them both? 

The starter was bolted through the front of the bell housing on the right side of the engine. It was probably not a starter-generator as most of those did not use the kind of teeth that I see on the flywheel. Note: I said most.

With a downdraft carburetor & a magneto-generator set up like that, I also suspect it is a tractor drive unit, engine-transmission. However, the Willys L134 has been compared to a tractor engine before, by myself as well as others. I would not be surprised to find out that they are late 1920s to mid 1930s Willys engines.

The transmission, along with the pedals, looks much like the ones on tractors of that era. They also look much like ones on cars and pickups from that time as well, so...

In any case good find! What re your plans for them?

BTW, What is that sticking up from the bellhousing? Is it a tube or a rod? A tube would be to supply lubricant to the throw out bearing, I have no idea what a rod would be for.
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 8:27am
I don't get really concerned, it is what it is. I stll think it from an old tractor, but what do I know?

john
WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 12:31pm
Good Morning Everyone:

Many thanks for all of your inputs.

As most of you know my primary interest is in the WWII jeeps, Dodges and the CJ2A/3A's.  Locally I have been at this long enough that stuff just shows up from time to time.  I guy wondered into my yard and said that he was going to take them to the scrap yard.  They were interesting enough that I really did not want them to be melted down.  I recognized that they could be critical to some guy doing a restoration on some unknown beast.  We have all been there.  I traded him some lumber out of the scrap pile for them. 

My intention is to get them into the right hands of someone who can use them either directly or as parts for a project.  But without knowing exactly what they are it is a little difficult to know where to post them. 

I had come to the same conclusion that some of you have.  They have just enough of the right look that they might be an early Willys.  Does anyone know if there is a forum or website on pre-jeep Willys vehicles?  The magneto is probably a very good guess as well. 

My follow up question to that is when did the auto industry for cars and trucks move from mags to distributors?  I suspect that if they are from the 20/early 30's, it might be still possible that they came out of a car or light truck and still be powered by a mag, but dont know for sure.

I also deal with a local, collector of antique tractors.  I will ask him as well.  The tractor idea is still not out of the realm of possibilities.

I will post them on the G later today to see if anyone there can add to this discussion.  If I find out anything positive on their id's, I will post it here.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Walter

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 12:50pm
That's a serious flywheel.

Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 1:03pm
It looks very similar to a Willy's Whippet engine without the distributor hole. Maybe 1927? Here's a '27 Whippet and it looks like the distributor is driven off the back of the generator, but I can't tell for sure.
1927 Willys-Overland Whippet for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-885287

Edited by drm101 - 18 Mar. 2021 at 1:43pm
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 1:19pm
Most cars went from mag to distributor by the late 'Teens. When the electric Self-Starter was introduced by Cadillac in 1912, it caught on VERY quickly, it was obviously a huge improvement. And when the car had a Self-Stater it needed a battery, thus a generator - and the mag disappeared so the separate Distributor became necessary. This set-up was optional even on Chevrolet by 1914, and Ford was one of the last holdouts with electric start first being an option I believe in 1919. 

Yet these engines somehow look later than 'Teens to me. Maybe they are tractor engines, hadn't thought about that. And the "extra" gear opening at the timing cover makes sense for a magneto - which also make sense that a mag would've been removed. But that same 15 stud arrangement as seen on the Go-Devil Flathead Four sure is familiar. Curious to know if/when you find out what they are.

Edited by Vintage Don - 18 Mar. 2021 at 1:22pm
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 1:42pm
I take it back Embarrassed, I think you WILLYS guys are on to something LOL Here is a pic of a 1928 Overland Whippet.... Looks close!?? 

drm101 - Thumbs UpClap

Edited by ggordon49 - 18 Mar. 2021 at 1:45pm
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 1:55pm
SOLD! That's it!

So the distributor was driven off the rear of the generator - which was still mounted (and driven) like the mag had been previously before that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 7:53pm
I concur, Willys Whippet. I am not surprised.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 8:03pm
I concur, Willys Whippet. I am not surprised.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>