Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Up in Smoke; another wiring experience.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Up in Smoke; another wiring experience.
    Posted: 31 July 2021 at 5:10pm
My CJ2A has as many do; a DIY wiring harness.  Basically it uses a key switch, a fuse block and crimp terminals to get the juice around.  The wiring also came with lots of extra ugly and a real rats nest under the dash.  After the wiring under the dash went up in smoke (surprise!),  I found wires with dead ends, wires with crimp connectors screwed together and several wires using household twist connectors.  I also removed about 10 feet of unnecessary wire. Most of the wiring was wrapped tightly together and zip tied to the underside of the dash. I couldn't ID the cause but I suspect a short was the culprit of the fire.  I pulled out what was left and replaced the required wiring just to get the CJ to simply crank and run. All that went fine but it was a royal mess under that dash.  The key switch had three wires running from the accessory terminal (horn, lights and something else). I have not traced them all out because currently the location of the CJ and myself are about 900 miles apart. 

So here is the question:

It seems to me that a single wire should run from the accessory switch to the fuse block and then the separate components should be run from the fuse block unless you want them to function regardless of key position.  Yes?  If not what functions should be run from the accessory terminal of the key switch?  

Edited by wfopete - 31 July 2021 at 5:11pm
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
squidtone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squidtone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 11:41am
Since your system seems to have no more original stuff in it, I'd correct all the hack stuff like you say and go for a more modern method of wiring. I'm assuming it's been converted to 12V? My comments are assuming that...otherwise, you may just want to duplicate the original wiring.
Horn: I believe the horn should be stand-alone...use a relay, and the horn switch need only handle the small current for the relay activation coil. I don't think the horn needs to be any part of a fuse panel.
It certainly shouldn't be run through the ignition switch. The horn should work anytime, even when the ignition switch is off. (At least that's the usual convention for American cars for many decades)

Lights: I think the lights should also NOT be run through the ignition switch. They should be able to be used no matter what position the ignition switch is in. So the lights could be run through that fuse panel. For a little more safety, run one circuit with it's own fuse for the high beams, one circuit with it's own fuse for the low beams, and one circuit with fuse for the tail and parking lamps. To let your light switch live longer, think about also using relays for the head lights. One for high and one for low beam. It will let your light switch live longer...much less current to switch the relays instead of full power through that little light switch.

Everything else: The rest can be run through the ignition switch "accessory" feed that feeds a fuse panel. BUt again, I'd use that accessory feed to activate a relay to power all your accessories through a fuse panel. THings like turn signals, heater blower motor, etc.

If you'd like, check out my link to a circuit I made up for my CJ. I have been using it for two years and it's been reliable and works great. But it's 12 volts.

Good luck!
Dave

Dave
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 4:58pm
Dave, yes 12V.  I should have remembered to state that up front.  I agree with your line of thought.  Wiring can be a massive undertaking but other than being a bit time consuming, I don't mind it.  Wiring is kind of fun, I just take it one component at a time and don't rush the process.  What I do mind is having to remove and rewire massive screw ups.  I saw a YouTube video once about the top ten items to get for your jeep.  I think #1 was a fire extinguisher due to wiring issues. 

Edited by wfopete - 01 Aug. 2021 at 5:24pm
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
 Post Reply Post Reply