Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

User Names

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: User Names
    Posted: 21 July 2005 at 8:41am

I wonder why people are so reluctant to use their own name when they post a message? Granted, someone may get your name, but in all the years I have participated in message boards such as this one I have not felt it was a problem. The only problem I have had is with a big commercial endeavor such as ebay. I have been flooded with emails after some ebay posts that I believe is a result of those transactions.

I find that I read a post whether or not I may initially be interested in the stated topic if I recognize the author as someone I know.

To me, no name is much like an anonymous letter or phone call in which the perpetrator is ashamed to reveal his/her identity!

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2005 at 9:32am

It has nothing to do with being ashamed to reveal an identity (at least in my case). It all goes back to the early internet days when everyone thought they had to have a 'handle' as per the old CB days I guess, you know, so 'Big Brother' or the Martians or somebody wouldn't be able to track you down.....In my case it's just a carryover of that, plus the fact I've used that 'handle' on a couple other forums that use more of that type identification before the name thing became more popular.....Some people like to post on forums without everybody and their brother knowing where they live (goes back to the Martians, I think) and I can repect that and anyway most of those people I know of are more than happy to provide any more information you want when contacted through a personal email instead of posting it for all of cyberspace to read......One other point, if you'll notice, on some forums there are multiple Daves, Russes, Mikes, Glenns, Johns, Johnnys, etc so you never really know which you're talking to without asking or seeing their email address......So now if you check the member profiles it'll tell you I'm Chad Christopher. I live in Tuscumbia, AL of course the members list on the old 2A Locaters Page would tell that too but most people didn't bother to fill that info out.....nice to meet ya

Bob Murphy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2005 at 12:24pm
Good to meet you too Chad! You have some good points regarding the name business. With a first name of "Bob", I do always have to put both names up!
Please feel free to visit my website at http://cybervue.com
Bobnorth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobnorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2005 at 6:32pm
Hi Bob, Hi Chad...

that's why I try and use Bobnorth in and around the internet.   There's a lot of Bobs out there!!!

Bob Hornett
Mackenzie, BC
(650 miles north Of Vancouver for those of you that are geographically challenged!)
'48 CJ2A
'71 Unimog 404
 Post Reply Post Reply