Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using a Spindle and hub for a tire mount.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using a Spindle and hub for a tire mount.
    Posted: 28 Oct. 2018 at 4:46am
I will have a Body mounted swing away tire, jeep can,and pioneer tool rack on CHUG (I have internal bracing for it that even ties into my rool bar mount)

I have been thinking on building a Tire mount that is a spare Spindle, Bearings and Hub I was wondering if anyone here has done this and come up with a nice setup I can get some Idea's off of.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2018 at 9:53am
Did you see the one Seth built a couple weeks ago?
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2018 at 10:07am
Mark, I've done one in the past. The hardest part was making a flange for the spindle to mount to. I ended up using the end of an unusable D44 rear. I lopped it off, welded it to my carrier and bolted the spindle to that. 

I carried a full hub, bearings and an extra lockout. The only thing i ever needed was the lock out - for someone else! Not saying it was wasted effort. But I really didn't need to carry the parts. With the miles you plan, I'm sure there is value there. 

One of our club members did the same set up. But he figured out a way to engage a starter motor to the hub. He'd turn some heads going down the road with the spare tire turning furiously. He also got some folks awful wet during a water crossing when he engaged that thing. It was pretty entertaining! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2018 at 2:41pm
That idea really does make a neat looking tire mount......and then I got to thinking......

OK, I've just ruined a bearing/spindle/hub far from home on some back road adventure. No problem I say to myself I went to alot of trouble to be 'ready' for this.

As I marvel at how good I feel when I see those totally destroyed wheel bearings, I at the same moment, pat myself on the back for how I was prepared for this catastrophe . After removing my spare tire and disassembling my spare spindle assembly to use to replace the totally destroyed one up front I'm still marveling at how prepared I was and should be home maybe a little after dark.

Everything buttoned back up I go to remount my spare tire for the ride home......hmmmm, I didn't think of that, no problem, I'll just throw it in the back.....no wait, the cooler and spare parts box is back there.

No problem, I'll just hide it over here in these bushes and come back and get it tomorrow.

I does make a nice looking mount though....but I think when I get home I'll just carry the next one in my spare parts box.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2018 at 3:23pm
You bring up a good point Chad. This I had not thought about. I'm still very much in the research stage. A couple guys on other forums have gone this route and got me thinking (it also helps I have a pair of spindles and hubs as well as my old bearings which are still very serviceable. So the cost would be minimal.

I'm also trying to figure out how to combine the tire mount and a spool to hold a length of recovery synthetic rope.

The Hub/Spindle tire mount would also cost me the idea of a Full MOON wheel cover I want to use so I can paint my CHUG-A-LUG art work on the Wheel cover.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2018 at 6:02pm
We all probably have 'em and I DO think it's a cool way to make one but only if you aren't planning on doing it as a way to carry spare parts.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2018 at 1:40am
It would take some major destruction to render a spindle/hub assembly unfit to cobble together some kind of spare tire carrier after you use the spares to get going again.   
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2018 at 3:01am
Well OK then.....I guess just disregard what I said.

In that light, I think it's a GREAT idea then.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2018 at 1:27am
Well, I can't say I've ever actually seen a spindle that was broken, just a few that had bearings seized.  So maybe they could be damaged beyond the point of usefulness.  My experience in that area is admittedly quite limited. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply