Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V6 Identity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerrySt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V6 Identity
    Posted: 08 June 2016 at 9:03pm
I just recently purchased a 1946 or 48 depending on going by either the body tag or Frame tag. I am saying frame tag which is 48.
Any way somewhere along the line there has been a 225 V-6 installed. I am having issues with it running correctly so am needing to find parts for repairs/possible rebuild. I am hiving trouble identifying it exactly. All I have are casting numbers.
Motor B1358435 (which says from 64-67
Intake manifold B1369905-2m
Left head B1368767-B  GM2
Right Head B1368767-B  GM3
Production Code LH  196 (which I believe is 65
I believe it is considered an odd fire Fires 165432
From what i read where they tell me the engine ID number is (front of engine block under the left head), it is blank with the exception right in the middle of the machined area is a 2.
I have checked this area out with all methods. It is totally free of any dirt, grease or paint. Normally where it would be is totally smooth.

Any ideas would greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Terry
harry E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 1:05am
you may look under the head on the right side of the block. the area is usley behind the exhaust manifold and can be hard to see. I could never find any serial number on my 225. for a positive ID.
good luck.
Harry E
Harry Eisenhauer
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 2:37am
No huge need to verify exact vintage.
Only a few significant differences between years of 1966-1971.

Really depends on what parts your looking for. 
A few parts are a little different between years. 
For example: the timing cover may have two less mounting bolts than a later Dauntless.
Or it may have an early type or a late type coil bracket.

Do the heads have "plugged" emmisions ports ? or ?
I can probably check your casting numbers a little later on...

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2016 at 12:46am
The engine block casting number of B 1358435 is an earlier casting and possibly earlier than Dauntless production.
I'll look into it further if I remember to do so.
I'll also try remember to look further into the head casting numbers.
The intake is an earlier type intake it likely has different locations for heater outlet and thermostat sensor than the later intakes.

These engines only had an engine code and no sequinced serial number was ever used on Buick 225 nor Dauntless.

The "L" in the production code of LH 196 means 1965. 
The H means 9.0 to 1 Compression Ratio.
The 196 means 196th day of that year which would be sometime in June.

That specific dating seems to imply it was pre Jeep. 
If I'm not mistaken the Dauntless option was not available before December of 1965.
Certainly not available  before September of 1965.
Not sure how long engine blocks sat around prior to assembly line installation.
Could be a Buick 225 Fireball and not a Jeep Dauntless 225.
Same basic engine with subtle differences like the carburetor.

T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

scottmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2018 at 8:03pm
Hi Terry. Were you ever able to identify your engine in more detail. I have a 1945 CJ2A that also has a Buick v6 engine swap with same block casting number as your: 1358435

Any info is appreciated . Thanks.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2018 at 12:55am
Most but not all of of the Dauntless part numbers were actually GM part numbers.
And yes 1358435 is definitely a GM part number. 
After buying the engine rights in 1965 Jeep also used those same GM engine numbers.
The GM engine was called a Fireball prior to Jeep ownership.
Jeep simply renamed the Fireball 225 to become the Dauntless 225.
Whenever Jeep made specific changes to their Dauntless they began to replace GM parts with actual Jeep manufactured parts and numbering. 

Zero aftermarket parts

scottmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2018 at 1:06am
Thanks. I am trying to narrow down the year(s) of the engine. This reference site shows that block casting number at 64-67 https://www.teambuick.com/reference/casting_numbers_v6.php so, that's what I am going off of. It's definitely a 225 and not a 198. That I know for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply