Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vacation in CO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havasujeepn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vacation in CO
    Posted: 02 July 2020 at 7:07pm
Greetings, I made vacation plans, last October, to trailer our 48 CJ2A and be in Ridgway, CO by July 25th to take in the sights and scenery for a week. I'm trying to get a sense of what's going on. I know on May 14th, the CO Tourism Office advised out of state visitors to stay home. Can I get a response from those who live in CO on what you think. Here in Lake Havasu, it will be mandatory to wear masks starting tomorrow, but the lake is not being shut down to out of state visitors. At least for now. Your input would be very much appreciated.
48 Lefty
SN 183244
ACM 173419
Engine 195912
Block 641087-L-W4
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 8:33pm
As far as I know, there are no new plans to re-close Colorado.  We are not experiencing any discernible spike in Covid 19 activity.  We are open for business. 

That said, things can change on-a-dime.  Might be best to monitor Colorado media and .gov sites prior to your trip departure date.  

That is beautiful Country.  Have fun.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
havasujeepn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havasujeepn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 8:44pm
We stayed overnight in Ouray in 1996, on our way to Snowmass. This time, we're spending a week. Can't wait. This tax season has been way too long for me! I'm ready to go! Thanks Tim!
48 Lefty
SN 183244
ACM 173419
Engine 195912
Block 641087-L-W4
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 12:28am
I just got back from a trip to Ridgeway this afternoon!  We stayed at the Ridgeway Inn and Suites right at the light.  We parked our trailers right outside their parking lot in the gravel along the road.  Most everything was open, but restrictions apply.  Ouray was a little bit more serious about masks etc., having us put on hand sanitizer at every store.  The stores were happy for business, probably be nice to tip well, because they are at half capacity.  Trails were great, but Black Bear and Poughkeepsie were still closed.  Lake City was open and Silverton was maybe a little more relaxed than Ouray, but still be prepared to wear a mask everywhere.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 12:32am
The second half of our week, we went over to Buena Vista and got to see a bunch of the sites visited by the Fall Colors Tour and got to meet M38 Mike - awesome guy.  I think I liked the 4-wheeling a little more in BV - there are some pretty challenging trails there, and the scenery was first rate, but it is hard to beat the views from Ouray/Silverton/Telluride.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havasujeepn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 1:21am
Bob, thank you so much for the update. My wife and I will be leaving for CO on the 22nd and be in Ridgway on the 25th. Can't wait to get there and just take it easy, relax and take the sights in. Pretty much used to wearing masks here in Havasu. Shouldn't be a problem in CO. 
48 Lefty
SN 183244
ACM 173419
Engine 195912
Block 641087-L-W4
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 11:32am
Other than the mask requirement in public places state wide, there have been no closures over the last couple of weeks.  I would advise you to look at the county web site for Ouray County.  Here are the current fire restrictions:

And here is the county web site:
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
fullgarage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 2:59pm
My. wife and I spent 5 days in and around Ouray at the beginning of July.  Restaurants were at limited capacity,  but other than that we had no issues.  We found it better to make reservations than to just show up.  Every store we went into had hand sanitizer stations at the door and people making sure you used it.  The scenery and the jeeping were spectracular.
David - Celina,TX
1948 CJ-2a (on the road but never finished)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havasujeepn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 3:15pm
Mike & David, 
Looks like it's a go for us to leave for CO tomorrow morning. Decided to take the route through Las Vegas, St. George, Grand Junction, down to Ridgway. Probably a little longer, but I'm pulling a 21' enclosed trailer and going the Cortez up to Ouray to Ridgway, there's a lot of winding roads and elevation. Plus I was just informed the road from Flagstaff up to Cortez, the road is filled with potholes. Don't have to be in Ridgway until Saturday, so we'll just take our time and enjoy being away from all the noise!!!Wink Thanks for all the feedback guys! Really appreciate it!
48 Lefty
SN 183244
ACM 173419
Engine 195912
Block 641087-L-W4
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 3:46pm
It's going to be a great trip!
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havasujeepn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

It's going to be a great trip!

AMEN to that!!!!
48 Lefty
SN 183244
ACM 173419
Engine 195912
Block 641087-L-W4
WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 12:28am
Hi Fellows:

I read this thread with much interest.  I gather there are regular, identified jeep trails that are laid out through the mountains of Colorado.  How do I get some information on them?  I guess that I had assumed that most of those that used the USFS and BLM lands were local.  I gather that there are a bunch of folks that actually travel and haul their rigs and make a week out of it.

My wife and I are on Mike's wait list for the Fall Colors Tour and certainly looking forward to that if it all works out.  If it doesn't, we would certainly consider a solo trip at some point, if not this year perhaps next.

My question is where can I get some information or maps of these trails so that if need be, we could plan our own trip.  I would also be interested in knowing something about the trails, as our jeeps are basically stock.  In fact I dragged our Lefty 2A out of Fort Collins when I graduated from CSU in late 1978. 

We certainly enjoy trail rides and 4 wheeling but are not looking for the more extreme or rock crawling runs.  Any ideas on information appreciated.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Walter
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 2:10am
There are a lot of Jeep Trails books for each Western state. Try Amazon. For Ouray there is the Alpine Loop which will give you a number of choices if you don't want to do the whole thing. Moab in Utah has a number of trail books (Sand Flats is a good starting point). BLM Byways guides are good for interesting routes that are interesting but not extreme. I am still looking for good guides to the Nathrop area (the Fall Colors Tour). Have maps but no guide books.
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 5:00am
I wonder if something like this would be helpful

Mike in AZ
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 12:36pm
It is interesting and certainly covers the region. Thanks.
fullgarage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fullgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 3:21pm
Here is the Bible on Colorado jeep trails:

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Colorado-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails/dp/1934838268/ref=sr_1_3?crid=36XHFVO9B0URC&dchild=1&keywords=colorado+4x4+trail+guide+book&qid=1595427439&sprefix=colorado+4x4%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-3

The Alpine Loop system and the trails between Ouray and Telluride are spectacular!  All of them are completely doable in a vintage jeep.  We crossed four passes over 12,000 ft in elevation in three wonderful days and explored many ghost towns and abandoned mine sites.  We did this in our Gladiator this time, but we have trailered a CJ-5 there from Dallas in the past.
David - Celina,TX
1948 CJ-2a (on the road but never finished)
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by WillysWally WillysWally wrote:

Hi Fellows:

I read this thread with much interest.  I gather there are regular, identified jeep trails that are laid out through the mountains of Colorado.  How do I get some information on them? ....

Here's a report for a trip my wife and I took to the Ouray area a couple years ago.  I include some trail descriptions and sort of a map.  It might be helpful to you.

Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
calndrman View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calndrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 9:02pm
A few of us took a day trip yesterday from Loveland to the top of Trail Ridge Road and back. It was a 110 mile trip. Read about it at https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/rocky-mt-nat-park-tues-july-21-2020_topic47308.html. ;

There are trails all over northern CO. The AllTrails app is a good source for finding trails all over the country. You can download the app on your phone and it will show your location on a map as you are traveling the trail. 

If you get to northern CO and need some assistance, send me a PM and I will be glad to help out. 

Edited by calndrman - 22 July 2020 at 9:04pm
Bruce
1949 2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>