Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Value Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Value Question
    Posted: 14 June 2021 at 10:00pm
Hi Guys, I might buy a 1948 flat fender.  It's been repainted, body is in good shape, runs and drives..Does pop out of 2nd gear with a load off. Also appears to have no tailgate or the gate was welded shut at some point.  Does $9000 seem like a decent buy?
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 2:17am
Pictures would help a lot. I would not hazard a guess without them.
smarga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 9:16am
BAD ROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAD ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 10:48am
Go for it! https://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/d/lemoore-jeep-flat-fender/7332324131.html

The rear section has been modified.  Without a tailgate makes me wonder if it is a military back half?

Edited by BAD ROD - 15 June 2021 at 10:57am
smarga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 10:57am
From some aspects it seems like they're asking too much compared to what's out there and it'll need a trans soon.
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 11:38am
Depends on what you are wanting in a 2A. Some of the originality is gone and the bodywork makes me wonder what's underneath. 
If it pops out of second, the trans needs a rebuild and while you're in it you probably want to check the transfer case and replace the clutch. Depending on what you find, could be another $500-1000 in parts alone. In the photo of the tags, is that a crack in a repair of the windshield post?
I guess 2A prices are creeping up, but $9K seems high for this one. Just my opinion - good luck whichever way you go.

Edited by JohnB - 15 June 2021 at 12:27pm
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 12:46pm
the rear wheelhouse mods are something I've not seen..
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 1:13pm
The seam by the drain hole (oval) doesn't show. Could be a sign of bonds covering up something. Also the rear half looks off somehow. Either too flat or something. I think the idea that the rear is from a different jeep could be correct. The inside wheel arch is peculiar. The military style boxes are interesting. I think I'd pass on it or get it for a good deal less. At the least, see if you can get a story about what was done to it.
smarga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 1:15pm
Thank you all, you've been very helpful.
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 3:19pm
The data tags on the firewall are clearly reproductions, so if you will need a Serial Number Inspection done by a competent LEO, it may not pass.

Obviously a replacement suspension, and with the minor lift the fact that it has caster shims would make me want to go for a lengthy test drive to assure no 'death wobble'.

It's a nice looking entry vehicle, but everyone that sees it will comment that it's not 'right.

I'm not a fan of SOLEX carbs, but maybe it runs OK.

The price makes me think the seller is trying to recoup his costs for the lift, tires and wheels, and steering conversion at full retail.

Looks nice, and only your opinion matters. It's just money.
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 4:35pm
skoolie..
Joined Jan-8 2015
OD Mule 01-52 M38
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2021 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by muley muley wrote:

skoolie..

What the heck does this mean?

IME, Skoolie refers to a school bus that has been converted to a RV.
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2021 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

skoolie..

or a jeep painted like the short bus??
Joined Jan-8 2015
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2021 at 5:44pm

Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

skoolie..

or a jeep painted like the short bus??

The information found on this site amazes me often So tell me Sir Meistro of Mules, what is the name for a converted cargo trailer ? 🙀

Lee

Edited by Lee MN - 16 June 2021 at 5:45pm
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2021 at 8:57pm
Po'Boy's Toy Hauler??

Apologies to the OP for straying from the point.

Edited by muley - 16 June 2021 at 8:59pm
Joined Jan-8 2015
OD Mule 01-52 M38
 Post Reply Post Reply