Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VEC Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VEC Questions
    Posted: 04 July 2019 at 12:46pm
I sold my '46 CJ2a a few months ago and now I have the itch again.  I found another '46 VEC which looks to be in fairly original condition with everything where it's supposed to be, including the rust.  The only obvious modification is a dodgy roll bar.  The body was painted a weird semi-metallic dark green but it still has the original pumpkin orange wheels.  The windshield arms look to be slotted.

It has tool indents but a floor shift.  Was there an overlap where the two things coexisted?  Another oddity is it has double hood hold downs, and instead of two wood blocks a single wood strip down the middle of the hood.  Any thoughts in these this?  I'm not in a position to get a closer look but hope to soon.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2019 at 3:26pm
Double hood hold downs if you mean 2 at the front 2 at the rear would be a owner installed thing (the rear set) If you mean there are two sets of hood hold downs at the front with one set parallel to the fender those would be military for holding the windshield down. As to the single wood strip never ever seen that so again owner installed.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
John Cotner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2019 at 12:10am
There are two hold downs on each front fender running parallel to the hood with corresponding clips on the hood.  I need to make contact with the owner to get a closer look, especially at the motor.  I'm curious to see if there are remnants of the original tan somewhere on it.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2019 at 12:45am
If your talking like this:

The rear two are not original Owner installed.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 9:33pm
There is a very, very nice looking VEC 46 column shift with a factory hard top on Ebay today. It appears to be all original, and in very good shape. Pasture green paint is faded, some surface rust, but no rust through I could see. 

Way out in Colorado, which is a long haul to Tennessee, but I am very temped to make a bid, even though I have too much on my plate to bring another one home. 

Post Reply Post Reply