Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vendor list???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64ragtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vendor list???
    Posted: 12 Oct. 2006 at 6:52pm
I wonder if it would be productive to build a list of "Favorite Vendors", perhaps in a poll.  I'm thinking it could be done that way,  without commentary  just to prevent flaming.  Ask members to consider all aspects of their vendor experiences and list their top five favorite vendors and their bottom five least favorites.

So far, I've only spoken with a few vendors, and done business with two.  I have a less than wonderful opinion of one of them, but I'm not sure posting that sort of thing is a great idea, for numerous reasons.
If it aint broke, fix it 'til it is! (or YOU are)
renss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2006 at 6:59pm
I think it is a great idea. How about specifying what vendors specialize in ea: Walcks-engine stuff,Surplusjeep-body stuff etc? It would give members a much better idea of where to shop. We dont have to post anything negative about anyone.

renss
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2006 at 10:28pm
Have you gone to the "Home page"? Alot af folks seem to find this page on a web search and never even know that there is a "home Page". There is alot of stuff there that will suck up most of a day alookin. There is a vendor list there. It may need to be updated though, I'm not sure.
Click on the green Jeep in the left corner at the top of a post, That'll take you there.
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

64ragtop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64ragtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2006 at 3:28am
BTDT, Gary.  What I had in mind is a way to tap the vast experience of the list members to identify good and not so good dealers in parts for CJ2As.  I think a poll without any opportunity for commentary would eliminate flame wars and just use the aggregate of all our experience.  I wouldn't want to have a list of complaints about vendors, because that is really counterproductive. 

I'll be the first to admit that I do not know how to set such a poll up, but again would like to tap "our" collective wisdom.

On the other hand, maybe it's best for the list to maintain a strictly neutral position, and just "let the buyer beware"!

I found the "Parts Suppliers" list under the links section off the home page, and have spent hours researching various dealers' websites.   It seems to be very much like what "renss" suggested.   I just wish I had a way of knowing if any of them are particularly good or awfully bad in the experience of my fellow 2A lovers.

Edited by 64ragtop - 13 Oct. 2006 at 3:39am
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2006 at 6:18am
How is it possible to give "good and not so good" dealers "without commentary" or posting "anything negative" ? (how do you give a 'not so good' without saying something negative?)

The list should be just that, a list.....I think any personal experiences should be shared as separate topics and then judged by  the individual. That way it is left to the individual to decide if he/she wants to deal with them or not.

We all make mistakes, that's how you learn....Most anybody that makes the list is going to be a legitimate source and some are always going to give better service than others, but that doesn't necassarily mean parts shouldn't be bought from the 'not so good service' vendor.

Edited by rocnroll - 13 Oct. 2006 at 7:31am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2006 at 6:21am
I could add a new section on the forum just for vendor reviews good or bad?
And other ideas?

Yes, I can add to the vendor list on the main site too.

Russ

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2006 at 8:25pm
Russ,
Chad has a good point that there would be no reference to why someone gave a bad review.
But, be it as it is, there was a problem with something, for someone.
A list of vendors and good and bad has alot of sway here (I'ld hope)
I think a rating on anyones experience is a good thing, especially to our suppliers. As long as there is no personal attackes. I think it would be a good "POLL" as it were.
There are more good things that are exchanged than the, once I had a bad experience......It's just that those are the one's you hear about.
Gary
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2006 at 8:49pm
this may prove to be a slippery slope once we go down it.  I think that most sites refrain from rating a vendor due to those that may have a vendetta or a cousin that works there, two very big extremes.  perhaps if there is a simple numbering/rating system without commentary and if enough folks participate so that there is a good sampling, it may be successful.
I know I use some vendors for generic parts, some for specialty items, and some for repairs.  All very different needs from very different vendors.
Jeff
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2006 at 8:14am
What's wrong with just a LIST............PERIOD? 

Where is all this being led through life by the hand coming from?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

64ragtop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64ragtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2006 at 8:31am
Already GOT a list!  Go to: http://www.thecj2apage.com/links.html  and look under "Parts Suppliers"

My idea of a poll was intended to create a guide for folks who would like to know if list members had good or bad experiences with a given vendor.

I didn't really see it as "hand holding". For that matter I'm not sure that a little hand holding is always a bad thing.

Certainly nobody would be forced to pay any attention to any such poll listings, and if one feels really macho, perhaps they would like to deliberately buy from vendors that others had bad experiences with. 

I never thought the idea would provoke anyone as it seems to have, I'm pretty new here, and just threw out an idea.  Maybe I should just keep my ideas to myself!

Edited by 64ragtop - 14 Oct. 2006 at 8:48am
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2006 at 9:32am
  I just wish I had a way of knowing if any of them are particularly good or awfully bad in the experience of my fellow 2A lovers.
[/QUOTE]

If they were "awfully bad" chances are they aren't gonna stay on the list. I've heard horror stories about Krage's service but they have personally given me parts and service with no problems. Is it fair to them to blacklist them because somebody got a raw deal?

I've bought parts from Northstar with absolutely no problems but I prefer buying the same parts from Carl Walck. Is it fair to Northstar to slight his business because I prefer Carl? Absolutely not! Jim is a very knowledgable person and a great asset to the hobby.

Everybody selling reproduction parts are getting them out of the same pile. A new dealer in the Nashville,TN area is David Simms at Vintage Jeep Supply. A great guy to deal with and a newly made good friend. Does everybody have the same experience with him I do? I don't know, personally I don't care......as long as he's giving me good service, that's what I'm concerned about...The rest will take care of itself if he's not.

I don't think there's any reason to slight another dealer because they might have had a 'bad day' the day your order was processed and then get on here and put them on the 'bad experiences' LIST....If you want to tell about your experience that's fine but as far as making a LIST or POLL cronicling all the 'bad' experiences is not fair to the dealers on a day to day basis......continued bad experiences from a particular dealer WILL get around by word of mouth without having something written down in black and white to 'refer to in time of need'.

Ragtop, nobody said anything about you not giving your ideas, but you should give the same leeway to others opinions if in deed you asked for them. You say you've only done business with two dealers and you're not happy with one of them......try some more, there is generally nothing to worry about......worse case scenario is shipment takes too long or wrong part ordered. Is this gonna be an earthshattering experience, I think not.

I think if you have to have this particular 'service' then in your original post where you wanted everybody to list their 5 favorite dealers, that would be a valid way of doing it but what's the purpose of listing their least favorite 5? That's totally irrelavant and subjective.

BTW, before you get all up in arms about it you actually agreed with what I'm saying in your post......"on the other hand, maybe it's best for the list to maintain a strictly neutral position and just "let the buyer beware"
Exactly what I am saying. Hug

Edited by rocnroll - 14 Oct. 2006 at 10:19am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Reply Post Reply