Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vin numbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LBuisse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vin numbers
    Posted: 24 Apr. 2021 at 1:58am
The I D plate is missing from my newly acquired 45 Cj2a. Where on the engine or on the body would the Vin number be? I have a good title with it on but would like verification
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2021 at 2:07am
Behind front bumper on driver side(small tag), passenger side dash(large data plate), front of engine above the water pump(stamped into block)
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2021 at 2:35am
If you can't find one and the title has the number you might want to buy a data plate for the passenger firewall (inside engine compartment) near the oil bath air filter. There should be holes there. The right seller will engrave the plate for you with your title number. Pop rivet it in the existing holes. In WV we have to have a law enforcement officer validate any VIN # that doesn't have the current number of digits. Recently went through this for a 1974 car and the deputy offered to set me up for a state issued #. Luckily we found the VIN number and didn't need it. Strongly suggest you figure this out before going to your DMV. Others may have better info on your state.
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2021 at 3:34am
If a ‘45, data plate on inside of frame rail behind front bumper, driver’s side.  Passenger side of firewall.  And dash.   Here’s a link to history
Mike in AZ
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2021 at 2:56pm
It is not exactly a VIN number, and it won't be the same number of digits as one. What is usually used is the "serial number" from the tags which will begin with "CJ2A" on these Jeeps. On my M38 there was a piece of fairly heavy steel riveted to the tub behind the passenger seat and that number was on the title. 

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2021 at 11:53pm
There may not be a vin on it anywhere; screwed on tags have a way of disappearing after 75 years. Your engine block should have an engine number just in front of the head above the water pump, but that is only used sometimes to title a jeep. It also is commonly different from body & chassis vin numbers.

Edited by oldscot3 - 24 Apr. 2021 at 11:54pm
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2021 at 3:26pm
If you are going to purchase serial number tags go with the number on the title. I guarantee that you will have less of a hassle if you try to sell it in the future.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2021 at 3:54pm
Would mention one more thing to keep in mind, there have been a few titles that do not match what you were sold. You may have a 46 or a 49 or even something really off. I bought a 56 Willys wagon that the frame number came up as a 1980 Jeep pickup (according to the DMV). Buy the plate and take the easy way out. SE Kansas sounds like he has gone through this before.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2021 at 5:14pm
My Jeep Chug has been in the family since dad bought it in 1962 from the original owner. The firewall plates are long gone and were before dad bought it. I got dads title he got when he transferred it in 1962. The number on it was a J number indicating they used an engine number. BUT it was not the engine in the jeep (its a 58-59 DJ-3A 134L) I had a valid title in hand (I transferred it to me within days of dad selling it to me for $2.00)

So to get serial number plates for the build I went to dataplates4u.com and had Robert create a set of plates that matched my title numbers. Bought the proper screws from him and put them on the jeep.

The engine serial number was machined off when the engine was rebuilt so I stamped its serial number back on the Boss myself.

The Numbers on the Serial number and Patent plate both match my title My frame is a modified CJ-5 frame so no numbers on it. Tailgate is from a different jeep and the numbers on the drivers side toeboard can't be seen.

So I am all good. Not that Chug will ever leave the family.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2021 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

Would mention one more thing to keep in mind, there have been a few titles that do not match what you were sold. You may have a 46 or a 49 or even something really off. I bought a 56 Willys wagon that the frame number came up as a 1980 Jeep pickup (according to the DMV). Buy the plate and take the easy way out. SE Kansas sounds like he has gone through this before.

No, I haven't gone through this before..... I was the second owner and knew the story behind Ol' Red. The title number matched the serial number tag on the firewall, however, it was pretty beat up. Ol' Red spent the first sixteen years in the Southeast Kansas oil patch as a pumpers tool truck. The next seven years were spent in a storage shed out of the weather and rodents. I had no trouble transferring title to myself.

I only mention that you should go with the number on the title because you know that that is a good title as far as the state is concerned. If you start showing the state different numbers it only confuses the situation and gets them to questioning where you obtained the vehicle. Take the easiest route and if you don't have actual serial numbers on the jeep, get plates made that agree with your title. Robert at www.dataplates4u.com can make excellent reproductions to match your title number at a reasonable cost. The lettering and stamping matches the fonts Willys used when your jeep left Toledo.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2021 at 5:55pm
Another thought... Your jeep may have a title showing a different year than the actual production year. Some states used the serial number of the vehicle as a title number and others used the engine number and the two are always different. In some states a jeep produced in 1945 might be titled as a 1946 model because the dealer sold it in 1946. Since there were 48 states at the time the jeep was sold, then there were probably 48 different ways to title the jeep in the United States.

Never question the bureaucracy of the state...they are seldom wrong in their minds and it can only lead to a hassle.

Now... if you are wondering what actual year your jeep was produced for acquiring the right parts, etc; then if you take pictures of various parts of the jeep there are people on this forum that can get you close to a production year. They would need a picture of both sides of the jeep and the front and rear as well as shots of the cab to include the dashboard and floor and a shot of the engine compartment.

We love pictures...

LBuisse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LBuisse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2021 at 12:43am
Thank you all for all the useful information. I looked at my title and it has a"x" after the last number. Does anyone know if that means anything? Wisconsin title. The numbers indicate a 45, however it looks like there was a passenger tool box under seat. I thought that started in 46.
I will have many questions in the future and thank you all in advance
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2021 at 3:13am
My ‘45 has a toolbox under the passenger seat. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2021 at 3:13am
The DMV won't know what year they started with the toolbox. They won't even care much about the "VIN number". All they want is to get as much as they can in taxes.

I registered a 47 CJ2A a few weeks ago and had some trouble because the amount on the title for what I paid for it, which was the amount I did indeed pay for it, was considerably less than the $21,000.00 they found as the "average retail price" on some NADA site. I had to track down the last registered owner and get him to fill out an affidavit stating why it was priced lower than that. 

Now I am about to try and register a 67 CJ5 that I only gave $300 for, but at least I know what to take with me, and in this case the previous owner is a cousin so I know where to find him.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2021 at 3:59am
Originally posted by LBuisse LBuisse wrote:

The numbers indicate a 45, however it looks like there was a passenger tool box under seat. I thought that started in 46.

ALL CJ2-A's have (or at least, had) a toolbox under the passenger's seat.
BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply