Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vin. tag and data plate questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mogger7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vin. tag and data plate questions
    Posted: 24 Jan. 2008 at 10:34pm
New to this form so I thought I'd give it a try. I've got a 48 2A which my grand father bought new in 48  so it's about as origional as they come . I changed out the tub years ago with a (used) aftermarket one so I lost any info on the body # on the floor gusset on the driverside . The only tag on this jeep is the vin. tag on the firewall . there is no other tag mounted on the firewall (and wasn't prior to tub change) or on the front frame rail and no holes in the fr. rail where one may have been mounted . I'v heard that later 2A's may have dropped these tags. Vin  is 189???  so it is a late one.
   The vin tag has a large hole in it where my grandfather mounted a heater and drilled from under the dash and sure enough drilled straight through the tag . Went to dataplates4u.com   (I think Robert in the Netherlands) and he shows the 2A tag as being the one that everybody and their brother has except me. Mine has willys overland writen in script across the top with stamped # under that  His and most I'v seen has stamped # across the top and willys in script at an angle under the #.Any info from you guys would be great
Thanks
Rich
mogger7
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2008 at 10:50pm

welcome :)  your 48 may have been in the timeframe that the frame tag was dropped, but it should have had a body tag below the serial number tag, i used to have #195769, and it had 2 tags on the passenger side firewall in the engine bay....your 2a may, or may not also have had the ACM numbers on the toeboard, and the tailgate...low

45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2008 at 12:13am
Both of my '48s have both tags on the firewll, and no numbers or tags elsewhere, and they're both in the 190's, so I would expect that yours _did_ have both in its first iteration.
Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2008 at 6:01am
  I have  189673, it has two firewall tags, no toe-board brace #, but does have t/gate #. Tailgate # matches body tag # but not Ser #.
  Mogger7, I'd kinda like to see more info on your jeep, since yours and mine are so close together in sequence.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
mogger7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mogger7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2008 at 11:04am
Bruce w  My vin is 189659 . darn close to yours. How far of are the two #'s on your tags. Does your vin tag have willys overland writen in script across the top with the block for ser. # under that?
mogger7
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2008 at 5:07am

The body tag # is 180859.  I'll have to take a look at the tags tomorrow & let you know.  BW

Edit 2220 hrs 1/26/08:    #189673's serial # tag has "Willys Overland" at the top, with the number stamped below that. Both of my '47's have the number at the top, then "U.S. Patents", and "Willys"(no 'Overland') on an angle below that.  BW

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2008 at 3:12am
  I looked at another '47 today, with a later # than either of the other two I mentioned above, and it has the Ser.# tag like my '48 has. Maybe they changed the tag during '47?  BW

Post Reply Post Reply