Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VIN #

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broc Jennings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VIN #
    Posted: 30 July 2005 at 9:35am

I have a willys cj2a and I am not possitive what year it is.  Can anyone tell me where to look for the vin # and how I could find out that year it is?

Thank you,

Broc Jennings

J.R. Welsh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Welsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2005 at 10:30am

Vin and body tag should be on the firewall, passenger side.

J.R.

Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2005 at 5:10pm
look on the frame on the drivers side behing the bumper. inside or the out side of the frame.
Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2005 at 6:08pm
The serial numbers are located on the frame horn behind the front bumper. The first 100 or so were on the inside of the frame horn like the MB’s. Afterward the tag was mounted on the outside frame horn. At some point (after the VEC and VE series) the tag was moved to the firewall beside the air filter. There was also a body number. This number is on a small data plate and is located on the right side firewall by the air filter. At this point, I believe the serial number and body number should match. I have seen several CJ2A’s where this is the case. However, this is not written in stone. If you have an original CJ2A where the serial and body number does not match, I would like to hear from you. Early production engine serial numbers were located behind the oil filter, like the MB, and on later engines the number was on a boss above the water pump and in front of the head. The engine number and serial number will not match. Like the MB’s, the engine number got further and further apart as production continue. The very early 2A’s were close. CJ2A # 10115 has engine number 10125. Close but not the same.

This has been cribbed from the page   "History of the CJ2A"  which can be found on this site, and is very informative about Serial Numbers in general.
Thank you to Harold West
 Post Reply Post Reply