Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage electric winch(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage electric winch(s)
    Posted: 24 June 2018 at 3:09pm
My '46 CJ2A came with a front bumper mounted winch that uses an Eclipse "Aviation Engine Starter" as the motor/gear reduction. I've since found a second one in a Jeep wrecking yard. This one is mounted where the rear seat would normally be and faces to the rear. The Eclipse starter on this one has a provision for a hand crank.
Can anybody shed any light on these? Were these a kit? A Do-It-Yourself project from the pages of Popular Mechanics magazine? I know there was a lot of military surplus stuff just after the war and I'd be interested in knowing a little bit more.
Also value and interest in "vintage accessories". I'm not going to reinstall this but I don't want to scrap this and find out someone out there has been looking for one to finish his restoration.

If a camel flies,
no one will laugh if it doesn't get very far.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 3:30pm
Is that thing 6 volt?
Don’t know anything about them, but if it's 6 volt and not made of platinum I might be interested in it.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 9:34pm
Almost all WWll aircraft were 28volts. Saw this on ebay though

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 3:10am
It’s 12volts; says so on the I.D. Tag.
A lever controlled by a “T”-handled pull cable causes the output shaft to slide out of the gear head and engage the dog clutch on the winch drum. One guy a our air museum said a sliding knob on the motor was to reverse rotation. Didn’t make sense until I remembered that twin engine aircraft have one engine that runs the opposite direction to counteract torque.
It’s not made of platinum. From its weight I’d say more like lead.
If a camel flies,
no one will laugh if it doesn't get very far.
 Post Reply Post Reply