Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Hobart welder - L134

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage Hobart welder - L134
    Posted: 28 Aug. 2022 at 11:21am

Picked this up for a spare L134 engine yesterday - turns over nicely with my hand crank & feels like it has decent compression. Inspected best I could for any cracks in the block in the usual spots & it looked good.
  Quite the adventure - the owner lived in Seattle & had the Hobart parked on a piece of property he owned outside of Prineville, OR.  He gave me directions to the remote location & told me to look it over & paypal him if I took it. -- 18 miles out of Prineville & then another 3-1/2 down a rough dirt road.
  Tires were totally dry rotted & torn & I had to pull the wheels and go search for some used ones. I had no idea 15" tires were so hard to find. Went to all of the tire shops in Prineville with no luck, then traveled to Bend & found a little hole in the wall Mexican used tire place that had two well abused but semi-usable for $50 mounted. 
  Got back out to the site & went to bolt the wheels on. One side was missing a wheel stud, I can live with that. The other had two good studs & three that were mostly stripped. They came off hard, but I just assumed it was because they were rusty. I think someone used the wrong thread nuts on it.
 Anyway, I put the three nuts on best as I could (mostly for show) & towed it slowly down the dirt road - stopping to check several times to see how they were holding up.  No issues.
 Got back on the pavement & drove the 3-1/2 hours back home (over the mountains), stopping every so often to check on the wheels. A butt puckering drive but I made it home -- 13 hours round trip with all of the messing around I had to do.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
cowboy64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2022 at 11:39am
Nice find!! Fire it up see if it makes electricity!!  I personally would put plenty of marvel mystery on top of pistons as my very first move..
mam
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2022 at 11:57am
Originally posted by cowboy64 cowboy64 wrote:

Nice find!! Fire it up see if it makes electricity!!  I personally would put plenty of marvel mystery on top of pistons as my very first move..

That's the plan, after I blow all of the crap out of the spark plug wells.
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2022 at 3:31pm
Cool find; I'll bet it has a HD radiator.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2022 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by oldscot3 oldscot3 wrote:

I think the radiator is different than the Willys unit. Will check it out.
ricksslatts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricksslatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2022 at 8:16pm
I have a unit just like yours...my tag on engine is RJ 308369... less than a 100 from your tag number...i live in the same state that you got yours from... they are one heavy piece of machinery!
Rick
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2022 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

Originally posted by oldscot3 oldscot3 wrote:

I think the radiator is different than the Willys unit. Will check it out.

Yeah, I'll bet you're right about that.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2022 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by ricksslatts ricksslatts wrote:

I have a unit just like yours...my tag on engine is RJ 308369... less than a 100 from your tag number...i live in the same state that you got yours from... they are one heavy piece of machinery!

Cool. I put some ATF in each cylinder & let it soak for a few hours, then slowly hand cranked it. 
 Rinsed & repeated a couple of times. It's soaking now.........
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2022 at 10:32pm
Hows it weld? 
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
ricksslatts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricksslatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2022 at 10:54pm
It does a pretty fair job ...I had several things that needed fixed when I first got it...the brushes on the armituer we're frozen in place... removed all louvered straps around motor and generator...they were both filled with mice nests...I mean full of stuff...there are open casting holes on motor where all the critters can get inside of motor...also had 4 stuck valves that I luckily got them freed up without removing the head...I think my mechanical fuel pump needs replaced...but it does run pretty smooth.
Rick
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2022 at 8:23pm
Did a compression test, 1,2, & 3 are great - #4 not so much @ 25 lbs.
 Took the side cover off to have a look see & all of the valves are free & moving like they should. Actually looks pretty clean under the cover. 
 Going to get something a bit more penetrating than ATF, like Marvel mystery oil or Sea Foam & soak #4 for a week or so. 
 The ignition parts all look recent, so maybe clean & adjust the points, check timing, & maybe pull the carb to see how it looks inside. Looks like a Carter WO, except on there sideways & maybe a little smaller on the base. Had no air cleaner on it.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2022 at 8:47pm
Put some Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders. I use a big syringe with about half a foot of 1/4" tubing on it to get the oil into the cylinders, if you just squirt it into the spark plug holes it will not get to the cylinders but will oil the valves. 

I have rescued more than one engine with MMO. It will free up stuck rings. Let it sit in there for at least a week, turning the engine over every other day.  
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2022 at 5:16pm
What a great adventure!
Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2022 at 6:22pm
OK, I procured the MMO & squirted it in there on top of the piston.
 Thinking about it last night, I should probably adjust the valves... maybe one of them in #4 is too tight & holding it open a tad. 
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2022 at 11:07pm
Adjusted the valves yesterday & added more MMO to #4.
Got home early today & decided to pull all of the battery cables & clean up the connections with a wire brush. That lead to testing the starter now that it has good connectivity. Put my finger on the #4 plug hole while cranking & it felt really good- so I pulled out my compression tester & bingo... we have compression!!  The MMO soak worked in just 4 days
   Getting closer.... I really should pull that carb & open it up to see what crawled in there.

Edited by dasvis - 02 Sep. 2022 at 7:38am
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2022 at 12:28pm
I came up with a pretty decent pump to get the MMO into the cylinder -

I think I will be getting another for brake fluid as well, it's pretty slick.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2022 at 10:17am
Messing with the carburetor yesterday I found that I was incorrect on what was on it. It appears to have a standard CJ intake & carb. I confirmed this by test fitting the (worn out) original WO carburetor from my '47 in & it fits like a glove.  Score!  more desirable spares for my collection. 
 I have an extra T90, two D18's, drivelines, & now a complete engine in my stash - just need to find a rolling early CJ cheap & I have another project.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2022 at 10:34am
That MMO has worked miracles for me when trying to revive an old engine. Sounds like you are close to getting it to run.

The carburetor from a Jeep will fit the manifold of an industrial engine, but to confirm it is indeed a CJ manifold you need to compare the bore to that of a known CJ manifold. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>