Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Willys @ the Rubicon Trail 2017 - Event Date: 31 July 2017 - 03 Aug. 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Vintage Willys @ the Rubicon Trail 2017
    Posted: 02 Sep. 2016 at 5:50pm
Hi all,

BAM BAM and I would like to do the Rubicon Trrail next year.  I'm hoping the Quaaazy 8's will join us.  I'm thinking July/August time frame but not to conflict wit the Jeep Jamboree.  Who is all interested and when would be best for you.

So far the list is 

jpet - committed
rocnroll - hard commitment.
Doug Timme - committed
baja 4 - maybe
nivrat - maybe
smfulle - positive maybe extremely super mega positive maybe .
ricco - unconfirmed .... positive maybe Wacko
Rick G - Definite maybe
Joe Friday - definite ultra platinum maybe.

Thought?

Edited by jpet - 06 May 2017 at 1:40am
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2016 at 6:02pm
I'll have to wait to confirm my positive maybe.   Gotta see how things shake out around here first...if you know what I mean.
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2016 at 6:17pm
I would like to upgrade my "positive maybe" to "extremely positive maybe".

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2016 at 6:32pm
Since I am uninformed, I googled The Rubicon Trail.  I found that it's location is west of Lake Tahoe and east of Sacramento up in the Sierra Nevadas.  Looks like it's above my pay grade. LOL Some of the obstacles are for serious rock crawlers and if you can't drive around them, my rigs simply won't do it, even with lockers.  You boys have fun. Signed, Chicken Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2016 at 6:40pm
Oilly, 

I drove the trail with a stock TJ without lockers, lifts, or even removing the plastic caps from the front bumper. It's all about ground clearance, spotters, proper lines and not using the clutch. (I've done it 7X)

I can't take the time to tow a Jeep out there unless a number of things in my life change before then, but I am considering flying out and looking for a seat.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2016 at 6:45pm
Interesting. They obviously took pictures of the obstacles more so than the "chicken route".  Thanks for the experience and info. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2016 at 7:02pm
The worst spot is the almost 90degree left turn going in......anything past that a stocker can find a way through.

BTW, what is a "hard commitment"........... Yeah, it would be HARD to commit this early for sure.

I think your time frame could be fraught with conflicts....earlier might be better. I would recommend talking to some locals.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2016 at 7:08pm
Im going to put in a definite maybe....will depend on exact time frame.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2016 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

....BTW, what is a "hard commitment"...........
It means you are going

This is why I'm throwing it out there to get  the best time table.  I'm guessing most need this to happen when school is out.  I'd prefer to combine it with another western trip so that I can save on mileage but I am very flexible.  I don't have time to research it at the moment, but we should probably probably start by crossing out the days that another larger organization might be using the trail and those who are considering it should post what days work best for them.  I threw up July, August because I am already out west in July.  What say everyone else?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2016 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

I can't take the time to tow a Jeep out there unless a number of things in my life change before then, but I am considering flying out and looking for a seat.

If I'm there (extremely positive maybe) you always have a seat with me. I like your company, you learn me stuff too. Smile Although if you want to try out somebody else's company I wouldn't feel bad at that either.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2016 at 8:37pm
If I did, I'd bring a spare starter and tie rods. (Don't ask)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2016 at 9:14pm
 Thumbs Up  Put me down for a definite probably maybe. I hope one of the things you're working around is the Northern Colorado Mountain Run (which doesn't have a date set yet either, but probably will be mid-July). I'll be watching this and see if we can work something out.  
  C'mon, Oilly Chicken, let's go!  

BOOGITY!!BOOGITY!!BOOGITY!! LET'S GO JEEPIN'!!!

BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2016 at 9:36pm
I'll think out loud here....I doubt others will agree but just something you need to think about.

I know you want this to be a run for just 'us' so to speak....like the FCT but logistically it is a MUCH larger undertaking than driving out to Mike's and staying in his backyard as a base camp .

I don't know about all seven times Joe Friday went but I do know that some of the times he went were Jamboree sponsored events as were the three times I went.

They provide the MEALS thus saving that headache and no packing of cooking gear or food to think about. You SHOULD NOT underestimate how this uncomplicates things. (Especially when talking about packing a flatty for three days worth of camping and eating.)

Not only that but they have mechanics available to help fix your rig should it be necessary.

My opinion  (and it is ONLY that) is that it would be well worth ponying up the necessary funds to pay for a Jambo trip and take advantage of their 40yrs of experience in making a memorable event.

I know that some that want to go who have been to Moab or FCT can only compare it to that experience but it will be different.

Just feel like that needed saying before everybody gets all gung ho about it. I still urge you to talk to locals about the endeavor of doing a private ride......

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2016 at 10:07pm
Not speaking from experience, but just from what I have read on the internet ( so it has to be true right), but guys in small private groups make it through is several hours, not days.

"This will take a beginner about 6 to 7 hours, or a seasoned wheeler about 4-5 hours if you drive straight through to the campgrounds at Rubicon Springs. The last leg of the journey is about 8 miles (1-2 hours) to paved road"

Above quote from:

Like Chad said, "just thinking out loud."

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2016 at 10:37pm
I'll have look at the rules but I suspect a roll bar is required if it's done during Jeep Jamboree.   When I get a chance, I'll post a calendar of events such as BHR, NCR, Jeep Jamboree and such so we can see what we are working with.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2016 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I'll think out loud here....I doubt others will agree but just something you need to think about.

I know you want this to be a run for just 'us' so to speak....like the FCT but logistically it is a MUCH larger undertaking than driving out to Mike's and staying in his backyard as a base camp .

I don't know about all seven times Joe Friday went but I do know that some of the times he went were Jamboree sponsored events as were the three times I went.

They provide the MEALS thus saving that headache and no packing of cooking gear or food to think about. You SHOULD NOT underestimate how this uncomplicates things. (Especially when talking about packing a flatty for three days worth of camping and eating.)

Not only that but they have mechanics available to help fix your rig should it be necessary.

My opinion  (and it is ONLY that) is that it would be well worth ponying up the necessary funds to pay for a Jambo trip and take advantage of their 40yrs of experience in making a memorable event.

I know that some that want to go who have been to Moab or FCT can only compare it to that experience but it will be different.

Just feel like that needed saying before everybody gets all gung ho about it. I still urge you to talk to locals about the endeavor of doing a private ride......

I too am considering this trip.... with that said...

I agree with Roc....  I was there in 1997, a wek or so after the Jeep Jamboree, but I had a host of friends from the Auburn/Placerville California area that provided me with free lodging, food and personal effects were all that I was responsible for.....

Lake Tahoe, especially the south end near Emerald Bay is to die for.....

I have been to MOAB, most recently with jpet this past April, and the Rubicon is a totally different kind of wheeling.....

So, for now, I back roc's claims, and thoughts......

low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2016 at 11:46pm
Stan, that is probably true. Not saying it's not. My 'three days ' comment was referring to the 3 days that you are there if you do the Jamboree....and the MEALS involved in those three days.

I not trying to change anybody's mind about anything just food for thought and I'd rather you have a good experience doing it instead of an unsatisfactory one.

If y'all want to go see how fast you can do it that's all well and good too.

Just remember ONE broken ax!e or u joint will change those numbers you quoted.

I personally will not ever try to leave Georgetown, go to Rubicon Springs and up Cadillac hill and make it to Tahoe in one day.....two yes.  The Jambo takes 3 days (or 4 depending on the trip you go on) BECAUSE there is a one day layover to relax at the Springs before driving up Cadillac on Sunday morning heading to Tahoe.

Yes, it can be done in much less than three days.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2016 at 12:21am
i think we should do it over 2 days.

Roc, I forgot which group you did it with. Can you post a link to the requirements?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>