Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Willys @ the Rubicon Trail 2017 - Event Date: 31 July 2017 - 03 Aug. 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2016 at 12:22am
If we can get Oilly to come and bring Carol, the food problem is solved
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2016 at 12:30am
Next summer is quite a ways off. If I can't come then maybe Carol will send you a care cookie package. Abbreviated: CCP.  LOL Working on my 2A this winter. Narrower warn hubs, tailgate mounted spare and gas can, Lock Rights front and back. Already have a winch.  Possible tire change to Rock and Snow treads.  The  BHR will be up graded to TR marked trails. And----------don't rule out the Big Horns. Much to do next year . 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2016 at 12:33am
It might make sense to try this the week before or after the BHR. Idk. That's why we should talk about it. It's all good

I'm also not against considering doing it during Jeep Jamboree but if a roll bar is required, it's kind of a deal breaker I think.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2016 at 1:32am
At the very least there is the Jeep Jamboree, Jeepers Jamboree, and Jeep Jamboree USA.

The only issue with the big groups is the waiting time, and the dust.

On the way out, once you crest Cadillac hill at Observation point the rough stuff is done.
(except for a few hundred feet that may be designed to keep minivans out)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2016 at 1:59am
Jeep Jamboree and Jeepers Jamboree are the same organization just different runs.

Their logo is a devil with a pitchfork......this is the organization I went with.

Go to  http://www.jeepersjamboree.com/

Jeep Jamborees USA is a different bunch and deal with Jambos all over.

(and yes a rollbar is required as is a full size spare though I never saw any of that scrutinized)

Jeff, you don't call yours a rollbar?  Maybe one of those "sportbars" they used to have. Big smile

And Keith is right about Cadillac being the last of it but I' d still want to do it after I had slept some. I'm telling you, you are gonna rest by the time you get to the springs.  (and a swim feels soooo good)

Edited by rocnroll - 03 Sep. 2016 at 2:10am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2016 at 2:16am
Stan, Ricco, Bruce, and Rick don't have roll bars.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2016 at 2:35am
Then yall will probably have to do it privately.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2016 at 6:20pm
 I appreciate Rocnroll's concern for us regarding meals and mechanics, but I don't see a problem with either, unless most expect a catered four-course meal three times a day.
  Of course, I can't speak for everyone, but I used to spend a week at a time in the backcountry with no more than I could carry on my back. If I (or anyone else, really) can't pack enough gear and grocery into a jeep to last two or three days, something is really wrong.
  This is just the kind of trip I've been wanting to do as long as I've been jeepin'. Camp out a night or two and have a good time. Take it easy. A day of rest doesn't sound all bad either.
  As far as the need for a mechanic or two - Hey, we're not Wrangler or Range-Rover drivers here, most of us built our jeeps, and we know what's under the hood. For those not-so-much, there are plenty of us that know, and are willing to help.
  In fact, I'll offer to help right here - If anyone is interested in going and needs to know how to pack enough gear into a jeep to stay alive three days, ask me and I'll be glad to help. Smile  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2016 at 7:20pm
Bruce, that's all very true. All I'm trying to do (or was) was to give a little insight into what the trip entails NOT how you guys should do it

....I personally had a GREAT time doing the 11 or so miles into the springs. Taking our time, stopping at different spots, watching other jeeps go by and getting a different Jeep in front of you from time to time it took us most of the day......with no breakdowns. By the time we set up camp I really didn't have a problem whatsoever for somebody to serve me a big ol thick steak and baked potato and me not have to do a thing other than enjoy it.

I only mentioned the mechanics because the Jambo crew makes them available....you don't have to use them.

I don't know, call me crazy but after driving 2,300 miles to then crawl behind the wheel of a Jeep to drive 11 more and somebody tell me "hey we are here to fix your Jeep if you break it so you won't have to while you are on vacation".... I think that's pretty nice.

Anyway, was just trying to help, not plan your trip. You guys are used to doing those rides together I was just trying to say this one will be DIFFERENT not undo-able.

I think at this point in time my 'status' probably needs to be changed to 'probably not planning on it'....you guys have fun exploring.

Not mad, not upset just different expectations for a summer vacation of 5,000 plus miles than what it sounds like most of you have.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2016 at 12:18am
My experiences with the 'con (FWIW)

Last time I checked the Jamboree's had a $650 (Per person, minimum 2 people) registration fee. That's more than I care to shell out, especially after travel costs. I understand that meals are included- its just not for me. And, I never cared for the idea of having my tent surrounded by numerous other tents. There are so many people you are crammed into such tight spaces that there is hardly walking room between them. Nor do I care to go from Loon or Geo'town to the Springs in a day and then sit there for 1 or 2 days.

My preferred trip is to leave Loon on a Sunday afternoon, go in as far as Ellis Creek and camp for the night. Get up the next morning and go as far as Buck Island Lake and camp again, getting there in plenty of time to relax, take a dip, make repairs, whatever. Next morning go to Rubicon Springs and camp for the night. Repeat previous days relaxing and dipping. Next morning head up Cadillac and out.
It's a Sun-Wed trip when traffic as at its minimum, and each day you're done by around 2-3. Personally I have no desire to take months to plan a trip like the 'con and then rush through it.

If you go, plan on taking every spare part you can think of that you might need. The one part you don't pack is the one that will fail (don't ask how I know this:-))
You're also going to need all the extra fuel you can carry.

The last time I went was with the EarlyCJ5 guys. It was a small group, and we had a ball. We were fortunate to have one of the guys on the trip who lives close by and knew when all the organized trips were going through. He's also a member of the Friends of the Rubicon and knew all about the current trail conditions. The Jambo groups are only part of the summer traffic on the 'con. You also have the Toyota guys, the Bronco guys, etc. Picking the days when no one else is going to be on the trail is the biggest logistical thing to planning the trip.

I have seen people go through the entire trail without lockers and lower gearing, but they brought back a lot more body damage than others. And, it matters not what your friend did a couple of years ago in his Nissan Pathfinder, the trail is different now.

The last time we did the 'con we did it around the first or second week in August. It was't as busy and the water levels in the creeks were lower.

I would love to make the trip, but its way too early for me to commit yet.

FWIW,
Mike
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2016 at 1:43am
That first of the week thing or maybe even a Tues thru Thur makes alot of sense if you are going to do it privately.

The two person thing (on Jamborees) unless they have cracked down on it has a 'work around' too if you just talk to them....my passengers two separate years were daughters of one of the committee members who needed / wanted a ride into the Springs to help out for the weekend.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2016 at 1:52am
Originally posted by nivrat nivrat wrote:

.....We were fortunate to have one of the guys on the trip who lives close by and knew when all the organized trips were going through. He's also a member of the Friends of the Rubicon and knew all about the current trail conditions. .....
Perhaps that is a starting point. Can you reach out to your friend and find out what dates he recommends?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2016 at 2:00am
I'm with Mike and Bruce. I have nothing against organized runs, I'm kinda an independent sort, tho. I'd like to do it on our own. Take our time, pick lines, take photos and lots of video, enjoy the scenery, fish, swim, camp, relax, etc. I've got that pioneer spirit and this sounds like my kind of trip!   I don't have to go around any school schedules, etc., but I think we want to avoid those crowded jamboree dates for sure. Is there a monsoon or rainy season we should avoid? When does it start to snow there? Man, what an epic Willys trip this could be!

Rick
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2016 at 2:25am
We did five different Jeep Jamborees in five different states.  They required seat belts and a roll bar.  After I retired price for the weekend kept us from attending more.  They do feed you well and run good trails.  We felt more and more out of place with our 1964 CJ 5.  Most attendees were driving new TJ's. 

Doing the Rubicon with them could be different.  As much as I would like to run the Rubicon,  I think it is one I will pass at this time.    
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2016 at 2:40am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

..... Man, what an epic Willys trip this could be! ...
I agree.

We don't have to nail it down right away. I threw it out so that everyone could be thinking about it.
Stan has a booking July 31-Aug 6. I'm trying to work around that if possible.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2016 at 2:50am
[/QUOTE] Perhaps that is a starting point. Can you reach out to your friend and find out what dates he recommends?[/QUOTE]

Sure, I need to call him anyway. It's probably way to early to determine at this point since the organized runs may not have picked their dates yet but he will have a general idea.

i'll let you know what i find out...

Mike
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2016 at 8:14am
Roc, no offense meant, and none taken. I've never been there, and you have. I need to listen to what you have to say. I see the 1968 video, and say, "that's what I want to do". That's 48 years ago. I'm sure things have changed. Some have said so. How so? What has changed? I'll bet you, honestly, that one thing that has changed is this: EVERYONE in the 1968 video is smiling! I'll bet, not so much so, anymore. Those guys in 1968 were having fun, and that's what I want to do; have fun! If it's not fun anymore, I don't want to do it. That's why I need your input. If things have changed to the point where I cannot burn my own steak, or repair my own jeep on the trail, then I do not want to do it. If I still can, then "Look out below, 'cause here we go!"   BW

Edited by Bruce W - 04 Sep. 2016 at 8:31am
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2016 at 11:19am
This is all interesting, and sounds like a great trip but most likely not for myself. My uncle did this in the mid 90's with his 3B, he and a couple friends with newer CJ 5's... Perhaps a little prodding from jpet via pm would prompt a rare post from him on the topic , an interesting story!. He drove his B from MN to the Rubicon, was told his Stock B was not capable of making the trail, he did it without any great difficulty. He told me if you stayed on the main trail it's no issue, if you take side trails you need to be setup, and a stocker would most likely not make those trails.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>