Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Willys @ the Rubicon Trail 2017 - Event Date: 31 July 2017 - 03 Aug. 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 19202122>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 4:03pm
How does Dylan reach the pedals?  I'm assuming his jeep is an automatic, but I still can't see how he can reach the pedals.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 4:47pm
The Jeep is an automatic. Dylan has to sit at the front of the seat to reach the pedals. He either has to have a pillow behind him in the seat or hold himself forward with the steering wheel. The brakes utilize a large bore master cylinder, a dual diaphragm brake booster, and a swinging pedal. This creates a pretty high pedal that is a little touchy, but great for him. 
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

.... pts211 ...... where are your pictures????

I think Paul is a picture hoarder.  He just collects them and keeps them. Probably go to his house and have to walk through little pathways of stacked photographs to get to the kitchen where there are unopened cans of different types of Chef Boyardee food heating on the stove with remnants of cans that have exploded on the ceiling. 

Or maybe his camera didn't have a battery, and he just thinks it looks cool to have this really fancy looking camera hanging around his neck and he really doesn't know how to use it, just points it at tings and pretends.  

Or maybe the red light bulb in his dark room burned out and he doesn't dare take the data card out of the camera until he finds a new one.

Hi Paul!
Love to see some of your pictures. I know you have some awesome ones.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

.... pts211 ...... where are your pictures????

I think Paul is a picture hoarder.  He just collects them and keeps them. Probably go to his house and have to walk through little pathways of stacked photographs to get to the kitchen where there are unopened cans of different types of Chef Boyardee food heating on the stove with remnants of cans that have exploded on the ceiling. 

Or maybe his camera didn't have a battery, and he just thinks it looks cool to have this really fancy looking camera hanging around his neck and he really doesn't know how to use it, just points it at tings and pretends.  

Or maybe the red light bulb in his dark room burned out and he doesn't dare take the data card out of the camera until he finds a new one.

Hi Paul!
Love to see some of your pictures. I know you have some awesome ones.

Or maybe his pictures are just so freaking awesome that he is selling them to the highest bidder rather than just giving them away to a bunch of trail-rats like us!  WinkWinkWink
Tom
1949 CJ3A

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 6:06pm
I think we can all agree that blame here lies completely with the father. Embarrassed
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 6:29pm

I think we can all agree that blame here lies completely with the father. Embarrassed

Hmmm... I do seem to recall that the only time I have ever seen any of Paul's photos IS when I paid the father for one of his FCT calendars. You might be on to something there. Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 6:30pm
Actually, the photo album and calendars we're customizing for each of the RT participants is taking longer to compile that we thought it would.  The original plan of planting the pictures in a traditional photo album didn't quite cut it, so we're gonna go to a large multi-national printer to manufacture one-off personalized coffee table books, perfect bound hard cover, and full color...for each one of you guys!

In the mean time, maybe Paul can just put some pictures or a link here for everyone to see!  Smile
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 11:49pm
Wow guess y'all feel bad for giving him a hard time Wink

As a trail rat that didn't go, I guess we just have to suck hind tit 'till they show up

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 4:33am
Dylan's account of the Rubicon trip 2017

Here is everyone's name and Jeep.

Stan.F in Grampas Jeep, Rick G in Gus, Jeff.P in Bam Bam, Wade A. in Cowbell, Paul and Arrick S. in Lumpy, Brian and Dylan E.

It was a long drive to the Rubicon, but worth it. Here's the story for you without the long drive. On the 3rd day of our journey, Lumpy, Jeff, Cowbell, Stan, my dad, and I met Rick at the trailhead to start our first day of the Rubicon!!! We were on the trail by 5:00pm and not 20 minutes later we had our first obstacle, "Gate Keeper". Bam Bam and Cowbell made it through with no issues. Then Grampas Jeep gave it a shot and made it once we took the fan shroud off because it made contact with the fan. Then, with some spotting, Lumpy, Gus, and I went through and we moved on. The rest of that day was fairly easy with a few obstacles here and there. Then we got to camp around 7:30pm to eat some hot dogs and canned ravioli and also to rest up for day 2.

We started day 2 at 7:20am. We made it to "Soup Bowl" and Brian climbed it without any breakage. Then, Gus gave it a shot, but didn't have the gearing or the power to make it. We moved on and made it to "Little Sluice". Bam Bam, Grampas Jeep, and Cowbell went up with no issues. So, Lumpy tried and the front axle pulled away from the spring pack and 3 U-bolts broke. Luckily, Stan had 4 new U-bolts. So, we used 3 of them and in a hour or two we had it fixed (thanks to Wade). Then, Gus and I went up "Little Sluice" while Lumpy took the bypass. Once we were close to the top of "Little Sluice", the drivers side front knuckle on Gus broke. We tried to weld it back on, but found it hard to do. Luckily, a guy in a Sami said he had a drill in the parking lot, so he and Brian went back to get it. It took them about 3 hours, but thankfully Paul found us a lake to go jump in and pass the time. After some drone practice time, Brian made it back and Gus was fixed. Then we moved on to a pretty good obstacle (which had no name). Bam Bam, Grampas Jeep, and Cowbell went up one of the harder lines with no issues. Then, Gus made it through the mild line and with a little tug Lumpy made it through. Last, after a few attempts, I drove up the tighter line. Then, we got to the "V-Notch", which Bam Bam, Grampas Jeep, Cowbell, and Gus made it through. Then, Lumpy took the high line resulting in some Jeep recovery time. Then, I drove through it, and we moved on. After a long day, we reached camp at 8:00pm to eat foil dinners and ravioli. Oh, and we won't forget Wade's canned dinner blowing up on the camp fire!

We left camp at 7:20 am to start day 3. About 20 minutes later, we were at what we call "Potato Salad Hill". With a little crowd watching us, Jeff and Gus went up the far right while I drove through the middle and everyone else took the bypass, all with no issues. Then, after driving on the trail awhile, we got to "Big Sluice". Bam Bam, Grampas Jeep, and Cowbell went down it without any issues. Then, Lumpy came, and I thought he had it until his front U-bolt snapped. Remember though, Stan still has one U-bolt left. So, we used that and fixed it, but not 10' farther, it snapped again. We had heard there was a little part store in Rubicon Springs for the Jeep Jamborees. So, Jeff and Arrick went to get the U-bolt. About 45 minutes later, they were back with a U-bolt. We fixed Lumpy again and got him down it. Then, Gus and I went down so we could move on. We finally got to Rubicon Springs. There was an awesome parts store that had been made out of old car parts and tarps. There was also ice cold water. We stopped for a few photos. Then, before we knew it, we were at "Cadillac Hill". We went up with very few issues. It was a lot easier than most people make it sound. At the top, there was an overlook which made an awesome photo spot, and we hung out there for 10 minutes or so. After that, there was a dirt road, so we thought it was smooth sailing from there. That was until Lumpy's back axle pulled away from the spring pack, but we fixed that with some ratchet straps. Then, by 6:30, we had finally finished the Rubicon, and we were eating some pizza!

AND DON'T FORGET, THERE WAS A LOT OF ROCK STACKING!!!

Friday, on our way back, Bam Bam, Cowbell, Lumpy (who rode along), my dad and I decided to go do Holy Cross. Here's how it went. We hit the trail at about 8:30am and made good time though the one way section of the trail. We found a few little obstacles on our way up and got some good video. Then, we got to French Creek and I drove up the middle line with no issues. Then, Cowbell and Bam Bam made it up the far left line after a couple of attempts. Then, we reached Holy Cross City. Once we were at the top, we saw that Bam Bam's steering box was broken, so we welded it back on the frame. Then, we ate some canned ravioli and taquitos. After that we got some photos and made an uneventful trip back down the mountain. By 2:30pm we were loaded up and saying our goodbyes.

If you want to see more of the Rubicon go to Jeepevans, Texaco, Stan Fuller, or jpetrowich on YouTube.

Dylan
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 5:02am
Nice report Dylan!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 3:04pm
That report would get an "A" if he were in a class I was teaching!  Nice job!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 4:02pm
Dylan, your writing skills are like your driving skills; EXEMPLARY!

Great job!Thumbs Up
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
pts211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pts211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2017 at 2:19pm
Okay, first off. Stan that is most certainly not the case! If I didn't have a battery in it it wouldn't make the fun shutter sound. Instead maybe I just leave the memory card out! LOL

Secondly. I am SO sorry to keep you guys waiting for pictures!! I am definitely being a bit of a picture hoarder, but I don't like to be! If it's any consolation I haven't even looked at them yet either! Wink
I've been fighting a lot of different time commitments in addition to some computer problems... While things aren't slowing down I just finished getting my computer to a good enough state and intend to tackle the pictures over the next week.

I WILL have pictures published before CFCT! I'm hopeful I'll find a good chunk of time to do so this weekend. 

Believe me, when they are published you will know!!

Paul
Paul S - son of Ricco
1947 CJ2A - "Walker"

1948 CJ2A a.k.a. "Lumpy" (Dad's Jeep)
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2017 at 3:24pm
I'm just messin' with you Paul. It's all good

I would like to hear your perspective of the trip though .... at your leisure. 
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2017 at 12:37am
WoW ! I just  now read up on your  Rubicon adventure.
Well done guys. You should  all  be famous !
Kinda makes a guy wanna build a dedicated Willys for hard core runs like this and I think it should be called THRASHER !

Come to think of it Neil Young's early song titled  "Thrasher" certainly applies... Ha Ha Ha !

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2017 at 8:10pm
I'm gonna chime in with some thoughts of the trail/jeep combination.  Not really knowing what to expect, I spent some time watching videos and reading other's perspective.  Overall, it didn't scare me...other than a few obstacles, of which I think all but one had a bypass.  I was really considering putting a locker in the rear before leaving, but Paul convinced me the opportunity to run the trail stock had way more merit.  Shortly after entering, and most of the way to the first night's camp sight we did fine.  We had a great camping area and woke the next day well rested, ready to go!  By the end of our first full day on the trail, I was very tired. I kept thinking of the guy who, when he found out what we were doing, said with a sly grin..."you're gonna be worn out."  I didn't know at the time how accurate that statement was!  By the end of the full day, and then day three, there were times when I would leave the driving to Paul so I could walk.  I found it was easier than the continual bumping in the jeep.  The way I have described it to lots of friends, and I think this is accurate, was that it was brutal...both for me and the jeep.

I tell you all of that to say this:  having done it with the stock set up, I don't think I would do it again.  I'm smiling just thinking about the trip...from that angle I'd love to do it again.  Things I would change...without question...lower gearing would be number one.  The ability to crawl over the rocks would eliminate a lot of the problems we encountered...even above lockers.  I am convinced our breakage would have been lessened.  The way we had to "bump" (which is an understatement) the rocks created a whole lot of structural stress.  I have replaced all four shackles, and have re-aligned both front shackle hangers, both were bent.  Neither of the front shackles broke, but the driver rear did.  Upon inspection, it was clear there were previous stress cracks that left only half the steel for strength.  I don't know if it would have broken if it were a fully intact bracket.  My U-bolt problems were largely my fault.  Had I known, I would have used the single height nuts and cut the threads all the way back to the nut.  I think that alone would have saved a lot of grief.  

So, that is my opinion.  With lower gearing such as the Terra-low, and proper under body preparation, all else being stock, this trail can be conquered with minimum assistance from others.  If you're going to do lockers, I believe, with the RT in particular, you need both front and rear.  There were several times when I couldn't grip the granite simple because of the dust.  A rear lock alone wouldn't have gotten me up the slab.

As important as anything...if you're going to run this with a stock flatty...you MUST have a capable recovery vehicle in your group.  In our case, Brian's jeep played that role admirably.  (I think it may even have taken some of the boredom out of the trail for him!  Wink   ).  

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
pts211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pts211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2017 at 3:30pm
Okay all. I am again very sorry that it took me so long to get these pictures published. But good news, I just posted pictures to my Facebook page of the trip! (Finally!)

Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2037345126495669.1073741874.1404269569803231&type=1&l=87e2a9eed2

I'll admit I'm not sure I got THAT many great ones this trip. I was often so caught up in the action I'd often choose to just live it this time around instead of through my camera lens. However, if there are any shots you want full-resolution pictures of just let me know!

Now, having had plenty of time to reflect on this trip I'll share a bit of what I've thought of it.

The short version. It was amazing.

Now, the LONG version - with the full backstory (skip to "THE TRIP" for trail thoughts):

When Jeff first mentioned this trip at CFCT last year I immediately knew it was something I wanted to try and do. The initial dates weren't going to work for me and it had slipped to the back of my mind. One evening in mid-June Dad was talking to me and mentioned that Jeff offered a seat in his truck for Dad to do a ride along to the Rubicon. I looked at the new dates and realized I could make that work and knew I had to go. BUT there's no way I would go out there to do the most famous Jeep trail as a ride-along. I'd only do it if I was in Lumpy doing it.

Historically, Dad and I have "trailer-pooled" to CFCT with Jeff but on this trip his trailer was already full. The first year of CFCT we trailered Lumpy with my 97 Grand Cherokee. It did fine, but would need a lot of work to make this kind of a trip and even then I knew it'd be risky. Other than my Jeep neither Dad or I had a capable tow vehicle, or a trailer for that matter. That's where things became a little more difficult and where it's important to know that I very much treated this trip as a "once in a lifetime" opportunity to do the world's most famous Jeep trail with my Dad and favorite Jeep people in our Jeep.

After making sure that Dad was comfortable taking Lumpy to do this trail I immediately took to Craigslist, Facebook, and my work classifieds and hunted for a truck. I didn't have much in the budget but I had enough to pick up an '04 F250 diesel with nearly 300k miles. A good friend of mine helped me get it trip ready, I even did a mini practice trip towing my Cherokee 200 miles one weekend. So a month out I had a tow vehicle I felt confident in.

As I was talking to Jeff and starting to look at trucks he mentioned I should reach out to Brian. We considered trailering out together but neither of us had easy access to a trailer long enough for both our Jeeps. But Brian did have access to two small trailers and offered one for us if I could tow it. Once I had the truck I reached back out to Brian not having luck with a few other people I knew and he very graciously lent us a trailer. (It was actually Fuzz's trailer - Brian's dad - that we ended up borrowing.)

THE TRIP:

Okay so skipping ahead - the truck did its job and we arrive at the trailhead. Now, going into this I honestly had no idea what to expect. I had done some research but as with many good trails I knew I wouldn't know until I saw it for myself. I'll save the complete play-by-play since others have done a great job at that (looking at you Dylan!).

What I quickly discovered. The Rubicon is WAY harder than I had anticipated. I think that was an opinion many of us held at the end - not that it was TOO hard by any means - but it definitely wears you down.  In the other tough trails I've done I was accustomed to a scenic mild-drive, an obstacle, and then more mild driving. This was not one of those "other tough trails." We would go through an obstacle, turn the corner and immediately have another obstacle to work through. It was almost constant.

It was one of the roughest, most stressful, dirty, trails that I've done. And while I just spent my time saying how hard it was don't think I mean that in a bad way. It was also one of the most memorable Jeep trips I think I might ever have. For several of us it was our first time camping out of the Jeeps for days on end, there was ZERO cell phone service - we were totally isolated with just our Jeeps and us, we were not rushing through, nobody every complained if someone had a problem - we just worked together to see to it that every Jeep that entered made it through.

On that note, I already loved Jeeping with all the guys in our group. But it was also awesome to meet others on the trail not with us. We were by no means the fast group, there were people with much more capable (and a heck of a lot more expensive) rigs. But not once did I feel anything but support and friendliness from any of those we encountered. They'd patiently wait for us to get through an obstacle, some even helped us get field repairs made with their tools. It just reinforced that this "extended family" of fellow Jeepers (and those that we adopt who don't drive Jeeps) are a very special bunch and just make the experience that much better.

So, was all of it worth it? ABSOLUTELY. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.*

*I take a lot of pride in Lumpy being stock and open/open, and although we definitely had a lot of help it doesn't change the fact that Lumpy made it through the Rubicon - and I can't help but smile when I think that. Having said that - I have no intention of doing the Rubicon bone stock again. If/when I do that trial again I think it'll be in something that allows for a less white-knuckle experience!

Finally, I have to give a HUGE thank you to all those that attended. It was such a pleasure to get to do that trail, we literally couldn’t have done it without each of you at one point or another. And finally a special (and huge) thanks to Brian and his dad, Fuzz, for lending us the trailer - it pulled magnificently - you played a key role in to help make this trip happen for Lumpy and crew!

One last, somewhat humorous note. That truck I got made the ~3,700 mile round trip without a problem. I parked it at home the night I got back, went to use it two days later and it wouldn't start! I've never been more happy for a vehicle to break when it did, because any sooner and I would've been hundreds, if not a thousand miles away from home! (Turns out the A/C compressor fully ceased and prevented the truck from starting). 

Paul S - son of Ricco
1947 CJ2A - "Walker"

1948 CJ2A a.k.a. "Lumpy" (Dad's Jeep)
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2017 at 4:00pm
Terrific write up and photos, Paul!  Loved seeing Lumpy do this trail all stock - just like nature intended!LOL    Cringed a bit at seeing the damage though.  Loved the shot of Rick sitting on the plank between the trees.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 19202122>