Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Willys @ the Rubicon Trail 2017 - Event Date: 31 July 2017 - 03 Aug. 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 22>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 1:16am
Will this trail bring us back to our trailers?

I think we should plan on running the trail from Loon Lake to Tahoe. We can discuss what we are going to do after that around a camp fire.

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
V8 Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8 Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 1:27am
No It is by Fresno south of Sacramento.
V8 Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8 Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 1:45am
No more suggestions, that's to far, we are doing what you decide. Keep us informed.
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 5:10am
Auburn Jeep Club

Hi folks!

We just received word form Rubicon Springs that the water crossings near the graves at the bottom of Cadillac Hill is NOT PASSABLE. We have been asked by RTF and the Springs to not bring a group through that area. The water is over 40" deep and rising with the warm weather. Rigs are getting stuck in the deep water, and winching is the only way out. Please Run Option B and come in from Loon Lake. For those of you who have hotel rooms in the Tahoe Area, you can go down to South shore and catch Hwy 50 to Ice House and come in that way if you would like, or come down I-80 and come in through the Auburn side. We will be meeting at the Raley's parking lot at the Foresthill exit in Auburn at 8:00 am on Friday if you want to caravan to the Rubicon.

Note: If you still want to run Option A from the Tahoe side, you will do so at your own risk. There will be no AJC assistance if you choose to come in that direction.

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but mother nature has a different plan for us.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 3:54am
I just bought this truck. A lot like the wrecked one, but a few years newer. I hope to have a trailer sorted out by this weekend so I will not need picking up. I wouldn't mind hooking up with everyone for a convoy across the Salt Flats and Nevada, but either way I'll be able to get myself there. Just need to get Grampa's Jeep sorted out now.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 4:30am
Nice looking ride Stan.  Glad to see you're getting back in the saddle again so quick.  

Donalee and I are leaving early in the week to do a little sight-seeing and combine a little vacation for her while we are so far out West.  Our routes probably aren't  the same anywhere along the way, either.  We plan on being in or around the Georgetown/Loon Lake area Saturday.  Hoping to find a camping place in the area to be ready to trailhead Sunday evening.  What I'm afraid of is that the Jamboree crowd will be still be in the area and it will still be crowded.  I'd like to camp somewhere in the National Forest if the trailhead area is still crowded.  Anyone know of a good camp spot around there?
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 4:49am
I don't know if this is the water crossing everyone is talking about, but we might get our feet wet in the flatties here.

My Videos
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 10:30am
Stan,

That truck looks sweet! I hope we have the chance to go by Moab and see how good it does on Potato Salad Hill

I have been following the Rubicon Trail condition threads on Pirate and it sounds like the water levels are "normal" now. to quote someone who did the trail last weekend,

"Just got back from the Midnighter. Went in on Friday morning, we were told the same info at the spillway regarding the high water, etc. It could not have been further from the truth for this weekend. All the water crossings were at normal low levels. Buck was a foot down from the spillway. The creeks between main camp and Cadillac were at normal low levels as well.
There were 2 very nicely constructed bridges at the mud pits. That area did look like a mess still if you got off the trail at all. There was pink streamers blocking and guiding you through the best course of action. "

..... anywho, here is a map that has gps coordinates:

http://www.rubicontrail.org/map-randy.pdf
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 1:55pm
This is gonna be fun!   Jeff, which trailhead for starting is your preference?  The paved road is, well, a road, but I bet that is some beautiful views coming into the lake!...ah, who am I kidding...I'll probably be sick of seeing all this beauty after the first day!  Smile
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 2:36pm
well, I think the starting point is 39.0033583,-120.3115733
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 4:11pm
Confused    if only I could read a map!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 4:24pm
Arick, those are the coordinates for the trailhead at Loon Lake.  

My Videos
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 4:44pm
just paste those coordinates into your phone map app. 
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 4:53pm

Aw, come on guys!...I'm not that inept!   I was wondering if the trailhead at Wentworth Springs? would be the starting point...basically straight wnw of the loon lake start.

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by ricco ricco wrote:

Aw, come on guys!...I'm not that inept!  ......
Sorry,  I was thinking "Jayhawks fan" and I jumped to a conclusion Embarrassed
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

V8 Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8 Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 6:43pm
I'm with you Ricco, don't give me military coordinates, have a regular phone with no GPS. Can see us on the trail saying 39.00546 120.82643 instead of right turn or left turn.
sonoblast77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonoblast77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 3:43pm
How much gas do you guys recommend i carry on thej jeep for this trip? Im loading cowbell preparing for next week and im just worried my front end is getting light, after having all this gear in the back. So i was thinking of how to lighten the load. Guess my brother could ride on the hood.
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 4:35pm
You should make it through on 10 gallons, but I wouldn't leave the 5 gallon gerry can behind due to extreme angles and the location of the fuel pickup. Keep the tank over 1/4 full till the top of cadillac hill.
Move some other ballast to the cowl in front of the windshield, or at least keep it low in the Jeep.

Edited by Joe Friday - 22 July 2017 at 4:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 22>