Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Willys @ The Rubicon Trail 2018 - Event Date: 29 July 2018 - 02 Aug. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 25>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

Wade had the right shirt picked out that morning!!!

This is funny. Wades shirt and then the orange shirt you see me wearing in the background is this one:

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 6:34pm
There was an comment on one of the Youtube videos about damage to our jeeps from the Rubicon Trail. 
This year Grampa's Jeep came through the experience with less damage than last year. 
Here's my video report.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 8:20pm
I want to go.  As of next summer I will live only a few hundred miles away.  I won't have a jeep suitable for it for a few years though so I will have to pitch in as a rider for now.  I think my MB would file for divorce if I take it through there.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 8:59pm
My damage report:

1 broken u-bolt (didn't realize it till I put BAM BAM on the trailer after Ouray
Lost 1st gear ..... again ....
1 seized brake caliper
Body damage from the rollover. Mostly came from rolling the jeep back over:

... it was already caved in some there but now, the grab handle should no longer collide with stuff. I'll probably leave it that way.

Windshield tore off and glass broke. I think this happened when they turned the jeep 90 degrees so it could be rolled back over.

1 flat tire.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2018 at 1:21am

It’s that an engine knock in the videos from your jeep Stan?
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2018 at 1:24am
do your guys think the lower  gears, slower crawling reduced the trail damage?
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2018 at 2:02am
Originally posted by bkwudz bkwudz wrote:

It’s that an engine knock in the videos from your jeep Stan?
Annoying isn’t it?
It’s been knocking like that for two years now. I have good oil pressure so I don’t think it could be a bearing. It also sounds kind of deep like it might be in the rear of the engine. I’m a terrible mechanic and just try to put things back the way I found them. I may have a crankshaft end play problem because I didn’t really check that when I put it together, or a piston slap, or a wrist pin or some other mysterious issue. 
I have a couple of more Jeep adventures this year, then I guess I’ll pull it out and see if I can figure it out. I have an annoying leak in the front of the transmission that I should take another useless attempt at fixing as well so i guess I’ll just pull the whole mess out and see what I can do. 
I hope the knock is something obvious because if it isn’t I’ll never find it.

I have the same drive train set up as last year (same knock too), but Rick G had lower gears this year and he hit the obstacles a lot softer this year.
I added extra layers to my stock skid plate, fabbed some skid plates for the transmission cross member that also protected the pedal cross tube assembly along with skid plates for the axle u-bolts.  I think they made a big difference on undercarriage damage. You probably noticed in the videos that my stock height causes me to drag quite a bit more than the others.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2018 at 2:13am
i never noticed the knock in the older videos so it cant be too bad, sometimes they just need to make noise...LOL.  I like your pedal linkage skid, i wondered how that area doesn’t take a beating on the rocks.  I could see a few good smashed causing some real problems
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2018 at 3:42am
Here is some trail damage on “Shiela”

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2018 at 3:52am
Trail damage to Wilson  . . . not as extensive as Stan and Jeff,  but I did not take the aggressive lines that they did in some cases.
Worst body damage:

The quarterpanel took a hit,  and wheel has some rock-rash.     Also, all of the rear "spring wraps" broke off and were pushed to the rear of spring. (visible in lower-left of this photo

Both of the front fenders got some "streamlining"

nothing else is "photo worthy",  but there is some "rash" on various under-belly spots,  and both rear "C" shackles no longer have parallel legs.. 

Edited by JeepFever - 12 Aug. 2018 at 4:14am
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2018 at 5:18am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

My damage report:
Body damage from the rollover. Mostly came from rolling the jeep back over..
Windshield tore off and glass broke. I think this happened when they turned the jeep 90 degrees so it could be rolled back over.

Yep.  I looked closely at the video, frame by frame, and I don’t think the glass was even broke until we spun it around to flip it back over.  The windshield frame was clearly not broke until we started the recovery effort.......sorry, Jeff.

I absolutely think that was big part of it.  My lower gears were certainly advantageous to me.  This year I was at 65:1, last year I was 44:1 (I had the T90C gears but didn’t realize it, until the modifications this year).  The other thing that hurt me last year was that my pressure plate was burnt up (had gotten hot and springs lost their temper) and not functioning properly.  I realized this during the winter rebuild and that has made a world of difference in crawling also.  But, yes, lower gears are crucial and advantageous.

Oh, yeah, skid plates on everything helpsWink
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2018 at 10:36pm
Here's another video of the Rubicon.  I'll get the other videos put together as quick as I can.  Had to learn some new software and dealing with an aged laptop.  All slowing me down.  My video editing and uploading is running about 100:1 crawl speedConfused

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2018 at 11:33pm
Thanks to all for the trail damage reports.  They are useful and informative.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2018 at 1:23am
Excellent production, Rick!  On Sheila at the beginning...was that a coffee mug on the cowl?  Magnetic coffee mug?  Brilliant!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2018 at 1:59am
great video Rick,  thanks for the effort! 
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2018 at 2:47am
Nicely done video, thanks for sharing!
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
JT707 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JT707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2018 at 3:00am
Yes it is a magnetic coffee/water holder.  Wish we would have had two.  

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2018 at 3:12am
Originally posted by JT707 JT707 wrote:

Yes it is a magnetic coffee/water holder.  Wish we would have had two.  

Yeah,  what's up with that?  Should have been one for the passenger also.

Justin,  it was great to hang out with you and Jay.   Hope to wheel with you again one day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 25>