Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Willys @ The Rubicon Trail 2018 - Event Date: 29 July 2018 - 02 Aug. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 25>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 5:36am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

welcome to the fun Ron!  Look forward to meeting you and the others I haven’t meet yet.

I’m game for a Colorado trail ride after Rubicon, assuming I don’t break something in those 12 short miles in California. 😉

It will be here before we know it!  Let the jeep preparation get into full swing!

I am also looking forward to meeting you and others!!  Smile  

Like you say,  it will be here before we know it. . . .  Wilson is running,  but a long ways from prepared for a tough rocky trail.  I need to add some skid plates, etc.

To the group -> what "radios" will be used,  if any?   I have hand-held FRS,  but if CB,  then I need to get that hooked up.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 5:45am
Well, last year the “radio” we used was one of us stopping and saying to the guy behind them, “well, what d’ ya think?” By then the rest of the group stopped and we figured it our, got all the cameras out, and took a run at it.
Pretty short range, but worked pretty effectively. Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 6:09am
Cant wait!!! Actually waiting on my 4.1 Rockeater.
Jay

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 11:26am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Well, last year the “radio” we used was one of us stopping and saying to the guy behind them, “well, what d’ ya think?” By then the rest of the group stopped and we figured it our, got all the cameras out, and took a run at it.
Pretty short range, but worked pretty effectively. Smile

Sounds good . . one less thing to have to install before then.  Smile
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 5:50am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I have no problem stopping in Ouray for a day, if everyone else is fine with it. By my calculation, it is a 4 hour diversion for the guys headed back east. Whatever the group wants to do.

Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

I’m game for a Colorado trail ride after Rubicon, assuming I don’t break something in those 12 short miles in California. 😉

We have 3 . . how close is this to a group decision?  haha

I SO much want to do Rubicon with the great guys from the2Apage,  but to drive across the country,  Ouray also has to be included for me.  Can we get a group commitment?    If not the group,  then at least someone familiar with SW Colorado trails to show us the way?  Ouray is my #1 bucket list.

I have so much work to do on Wilson to be Rubicon ready,  with not a lot of free time to do it.  I would prefer to not push myself if Ouray is not an option.

To give an idea of commitment to driving that far.  My friend called to discuss some of the details.  (He offered his truck for the trip).  He mentioned that he would probably change the oil before leaving,  then would probably have to change again when we got back!!   (he is trying to stick to a 6,000 mile oil change regimen)    

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 9:19pm
The only thing I can “commit” to is the Rubicon Trail. We have no way of knowing what problems we could run into. Wade and I have to be back to work the following week. Do you have to be home by a certain date?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 4:21am
"Commit" is too strong . . maybe "Intent" is better . .  hopefully if Rubicon goes smoothly,  (with no major delays/breakdowns) . . . then we can do a little extra on the way home,  and that extra is Ouray.

I did a lot of driving today by myself . .  so had a lot of time to think about "life" Smile

After this careful thinking,  I do not want to miss the opportunity to run Rubicon with such a great bunch.  (even if there is a risk of not doing Ouray).  

I will have a plan in back pocket though,  to hopefully  find some way to make Ouray during this trip.    I would MUCH PREFER to do it with this group,  but if only 4 hours out of way home,  I have to make an attempt to get there.

Jeff,  like you and Wade,  I also have to be back to work the following week.   I requested vacation for Monday.  So as it stands now,  I would have to back to work on Tuesday.   If things come up though,  I could probably extend that.  My co-driver is retired,  so he can be on the road as long as necessary.

This thread is about Rubicon Trail,  I will stop trying to make it the Rubicon/Ouray trip.  LOL   (but will be very hopeful it is)

Back to our regularly scheduled program - >  Rubicon
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 4:38am
Jeff,    I am hoping we can caravan out together.   We will plan to leave VA in time to be in your hometown the night before you leave.    What date/time are you planning to leave?

Edited by JeepFever - 11 June 2018 at 11:37am
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 5:49am
For those of you who live on the sunrise side of the 101*W meridian, what route are y’all taking to Rubicon, particularly once you hit Utah? 
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Jeff, I am hoping we can caravan out together.   We will plan to leave VA in time to be in your hometown the night before you leave.
   What date/time are you planning to leave?
I figured we would run the same plan as we did last year.

Head out from my house Friday morning the 27th
Go to Wade's, pick up Cowbell and Wade.
Stop in Kearney, NE Friday night.
Saturday we meet up with Stan in Toole, UT and make it to Elko, NV Saturday night
Sunday morning head out and arrive at Loon Lake Sunday afternoon. Last year, we made it to Loon around 3:30 PM.

Here is some of last years trek:

Vintage Willys @ the Rubicon Trail 2017 (Page 9)

.... in a Nutshell, you need to be at my house by Thursday night the 26th.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 2:45pm
Just a reminder to get a campfire permit.

http://www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit/

They are required if you plan to make a campfire or use a portable stove.

Edit: They are not required if you plan to cook fajitas on your engine

Edited by jpet - 13 June 2018 at 2:48pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 3:03pm
Just got mine

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 5:25pm
Maybe next year can cross this off the bucket list.  would take me 2 days of leisurely driving to get to your house from MA.    but might not be too bad, we have a couple of New england guys that want to do the trip
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by bkwudz bkwudz wrote:

Maybe next year   can cross this off the bucket list.  would take me 2 days of leisurely driving to get to your house from MA.    but might not be too bad, we have a couple of New england guys that want to do the trip
Well you are welcome to stay at my house on the way out but I doubt I will do the Rubicon next year. It is a time consuming and expensive trip that would be hard for me to do every year. Probably the next time I'd consider it is when Dylan gets his 3B "Elmo" ready.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 6:14pm

Originally posted by bkwudz bkwudz wrote:

Maybe next year   can cross this off the bucket list.  would take me 2 days of leisurely driving to get to your house from MA.    but might not be too bad, we have a couple of New england guys that want to do the trip
Well you are welcome to stay at my house on the way out but I doubt I will do the Rubicon next year. It is a time consuming and expensive trip that would be hard for me to do every year. Probably the next time I'd consider it is when Dylan gets his 3B "Elmo" ready.

X2

Probably won’t do this trip again anytime soon.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 11:27pm
So, how many have signed up? Are you open to late adds? Where is the start point & time? How does one get back to their trailer? Would want to go to Ouray with or without company (been there before).
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 3:02am
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

So, how many have signed up? Are you open to late adds? Where is the start point & time? How does one get back to their trailer? Would want to go to Ouray with or without company (been there before).

The list is on the very first post:

Vintage Willys @ The Rubicon Trail 2018 (Page 1)

We are starting at Loon Lake late Sunday afternoon. Last year we got there around 3:30 PM.

Last year we drove the 67 mile highway back to Loon Lake from Tahoe to get back to our trailers. Say the word and I'll put you on the list.

If you and JeepFever could dig up a 20' trailer you could come up together and save some fuel.

Edited by jpet - 14 June 2018 at 3:05am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 5:04am

Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

The list is on the very first post:

Vintage Willys @ The Rubicon Trail 2018 (Page 1)

We are starting at Loon Lake late Sunday afternoon. Last year we got there around 3:30 PM.

Last year we drove the 67 mile highway back to Loon Lake from Tahoe to get back to our trailers. Say the word and I'll put you on the list.

If you and JeepFever could dig up a 20' trailer you could come up together and save some fuel.
My thoughts -> the more the merrier!

I was thinking, at a minimum, that we should plan on caravanning with 3A Steve from WV on.   Our shortest route from VA is across WV turnpike.   Did not think about combining Jeeps on one trailer.  This will only work if that rig is coming home by way of Ouray. Smile   (which sounds like that would be the plan)

3A Steve . . if you are interested,  we can start looking for longer trailer,  (I don't know of any off-hand).  What do you tow with?  and would you be willing to pull 2 Jeeps?    My co-driving friend offered to use his truck to pull my Jeep,  but I would have to ask if he would be willing to pull 2. 

Jeff,  how could the week play out?  Best and worst case,  when might we be back to trailers and heading east?   I know you can not predict the future,  just trying to get a rough idea.  

Edited by JeepFever - 14 June 2018 at 5:08am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 25>