Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Willys @ The Rubicon Trail 2018 - Event Date: 29 July 2018 - 02 Aug. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 25>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 11:56am
You can get two jeeps on an 18’ trailer if you stack the bumpers.

Best case, we could be back to the trailers by Tuesday evening. That’s if nothing goes wrong and we don’t stop to smell the roses.

If we don’t have any major issues, it is likely that we would be finished with the trail Tuesday afternoon/evening, spend the night in Tahoe, and be back to our trailers Wednesday noonish.

Last year we didn’t make it to the trailers till Thursday noonish.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 12:03pm
We may have made it back to Loon before noon. I don’t remember. We had enough time to make it to Leadville, CO that evening to do Holy Cross.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:17pm
For now I am looking at alternatives based on family timing. Not sure what will work out. If I go, I would probably need to stop at Las Vegas to pick up my son. Have a Chevy Colorado (v6) and a 14 ft trailer. Towing 2 jeeps would be kind of hard. Have towed from California (March) and Moab (May/June). Appreciate the chance to participate.

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

You can get two jeeps on an 18’ trailer if you stack the bumpers.

.....or Big smile

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

For now I am looking at alternatives based on family timing. Not sure what will work out. If I go, I would probably need to stop at Las Vegas to pick up my son. Have a Chevy Colorado (v6) and a 14 ft trailer. Towing 2 jeeps would be kind of hard. Have towed from California (March) and Moab (May/June). Appreciate the chance to participate.

If you wanted to ship you jeep, i'm less then 2 hours from the trailhead and would be willing to help out.
Jay

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 6:31pm
Yeah, I’m kinda looking for a different trailer to haul my Jeep out there this year, also.  That big ol’ 23’ box that I drag around doesn’t like to go past refueling stations without stopping.  I’m looking for a tandem axle 12’ utility trailer that’s light and open to save on the petrol expense.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 6:35pm
Take a look at the Aluma (and other brand) aluminum trailers, Rick.  Rick Cline has a beauty - I think it's 12 or 14 ft. and weight is nothing.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

1952USA M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1952USA M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 5:37am
Just read through all the post and wanted to add about running the trail backwards Tahoe to loon on the 29th would be a traffic jam. July 26-29 is the 66th annual jeepers jamboree so there are 300-400 jeeps heading up Cadillac to Tahoe. Also jamboree gets a parade permit so the trail is closed for there event. So the best bet would be going in through loon as mentioned like you guys did last year. 
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 5:30am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Maybe I'll have a carb on Southpaw by then.....who knows, maybe...that's a definately 'I'll think about it'. 

Did you get the carb on?  Wink

Would be great to see you again!

I have replaced almost all of the drivetrain,  except the carb  LOL
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 5:34am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Yeah, I’m kinda looking for a different trailer to haul my Jeep out there this year, also.  That big ol’ 23’ box that I drag around doesn’t like to go past refueling stations without stopping.  I’m looking for a tandem axle 12’ utility trailer that’s light and open to save on the petrol expense.

I was hoping to see your masterpiece in person,   but saving petrol would be more important. Smile   I was AMAZED while following your trailer build. !!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 5:48am
It's on but not running yet...not doing much mechanicin' this days. Been playing with the shop and man cave /clubhouse. Just having fun with that.

Would be good to see you again but a 'see how fast I can do the Rubicon and get back' kinda trip just doesn't seem relaxing to me at this point in my life.

It's a little more 'relaxed' around here at the moment......smelling roses as it were.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 6:15am
I hear you!   Nothing about preparing for this trip has been relaxing,  but I do not want to miss this amazing opportunity.  It is so fun to daydream about it,  while plugging along.    I really enjoyed past adventures with Jpet and BobW,  this takes things to another level. 
A busy schedule at work,  lots of family stuff,  and wrenching on Wilson keeps me in constant motion.   Maybe I can relax in August.  LOL     and clean up my disastrous garage/mancave.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 3:03pm
You will have a great time! And the daydreaming won't end when you get back.....take my word for it, you'll be thinking about it more when you get back.

I love the scenery in the part of the country.....the redwood forests out there are something everyone should see.

I hope to get back out there one day.....but at the moment I've got a 10yr old grandson that I don't get near enough time with and life is short.....I'm just making choices in my entertainment right now.

Seems like alot of my 'out West' vacations 10 and 20 years ago was something about 'getting away (from)' now vacations are centered more around 'staying close to'.....funny thing about life.

You'll be in good company. Take the opportunity, your relaxation (it sounds like) will be when you get back and start to digest the memories.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 3:46am
I agree Chad,  seems like the older I get,  the more I like to stay close to home, with family.  I am stepping a little out of comfort zone with this trip,  back can't turn down the opportunity. Smile    So excited!!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 3:59am
The 4th of July holiday weekend is over . .  it was mostly a "black out" week for any progress on Wilson.  With only a little over a couple weeks until departure,  I trying to come up with strategy to be ready.

Will I fail Quazzy-8 tech inspection if I do not have spare tire?    I might be out of time to design a carrier.   I was hoping to use a swing-away CJ-7 mount I have,  but looking this evening,  it clearly would need a bunch of mods.    Instead of rear mounted spare,   I could have extra tubes,  tire irons,  and air supply.  

I could carry my own extra gasoline,  in the past I have stored a jerry-can in cargo area.

I have so much to do,  including getting trailer ready for the 5,000+ mile journey.  Shocked
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 4:37am
I'd worry more about the trailer having a spare than the Jeep if it gets right down to it.

What are the chances that 'all' of you are gonna have a flat on the trail?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 7:03am
Ron, I’m doing something a little different this time.  I completely removed my old, custom swing-away tire/spare gas can/hi-lift jack holder, rack off the back of Gus, at least for this trip. I’m carrying my spare in the bed of the jeep and will just stack my gear, tools, and spare parts on, around, and under the tire.  I built a simple, quick and dirty, rigid gas can rack for the back to keep the extra fuel out of the bed of the jeep.  I think this arrangement will help with my center of gravity when wheeling obstacles also. Here’s what it looks like now.  I’ll remove the back seat, but you get the idea.

Here’s what it used to look like.

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 4:32pm
That should definitely get the weight lower and more centered.

Thanks for the idea, Rick . . . I was thinking about putting tire in bed,  but not sure how much room there will be with tools, spare-parts, cooler,  and camping stuff for 2 people.    I did start collecting some things in a pile to get an idea of the volume.   Mounting the jerrycan outside would free up some space,  and might be a quick fab.  

This is all new to me.   I did lots of Jeep Jamborees years ago,  but we were not living out of the Jeep.  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 25>