Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virtues of powdercoating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virtues of powdercoating
    Posted: 24 Mar. 2023 at 7:20pm
For those that like to argue the virtues of powder coating...
I submit this example....not a 2A but a JD riding lawn mower....(kept out of the weather in the sunny South.)

Those pieces you see are pure powdercoat not sheetmetal....coming off in sheets.

Just imagine this being a frame or bumper or wheel.

Edited by rocnroll - 24 Mar. 2023 at 7:29pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2023 at 7:23pm
If that is the virtues, I don't want to see the character defects.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2023 at 7:31pm
Exactly. (I'm not one that argues it's virtues BTW)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2023 at 7:40pm
I'm not a fan of powder coating paint either, but I'm pretty sure that any coating will fail if the surface isn't properly prepared beforehand and the product isn't properly applied.

I think dramatic failures (like coming off in sheets) usually indicate dramatic deviation from one or both of the above.

Edited by Ron D - 24 Mar. 2023 at 7:42pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2023 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

I'm not a fan of powder coating paint either, but I'm pretty sure that any coating will fail if the surface isn't properly prepared beforehand and the product isn't properly applied.

I think dramatic failures (like coming off in sheets) usually indicate dramatic deviation from one or both of the above.
Not always, it's just what can happen when moisture gets underneath the powder coat film. It just doesn't adhere as tightly to metal as paint can.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2023 at 8:09pm
 I was afraid of using it after seeing park benches and lawn furniture after a couple years.  I have read it is good for coating cast lead bullets, I need to try that sometime.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2023 at 8:35pm
Reminds me of what I have seen when someone, not me, uses truck bed liner as undercoating, or to line the inside of a tub. 

I'll stick with an effective rust preventive/converter, epoxy primer, and paint. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2023 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I'll stick with an effective rust preventive/converter, epoxy primer, and paint. 

I will too.

In my opinion this is where the PC fails.....there is none of those. It is applied over bare metal (unless things have changed over the years).

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2023 at 8:50pm
Yup. I think most folks, amateur to professional, can paint pretty well.

Powder coating seems to demand a whole 'nother level of expertise --- something akin to rocket surgery.
1951 M38
1951 M100
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2023 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I will too.

In my opinion this is where the PC fails.....there is none of those. It is applied over bare metal (unless things have changed over the years).

Yes, this is how it works. If you've seen a powder coat line in action, the parts are generally bare metal at first and go through a phosphating wash/etch process using a water based cleaner and some form of phosphoric acid solution. Then the next step is a drying oven, and after that the powder is applied. The parts go through another drying oven where the powder is melted into a film over the parts and then they cool until they can be handled. 
48 CJ2A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2023 at 9:02pm
  I’ve seen that too - blame it on moisture if you want, and I’m sure it has some effect - but I’ve seen the same thing in Eastern Colorado, in the middle of the Great American Desert. The coating seems to be thin (sometimes you can see it) on corners and edges, and that’s where it starts. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2023 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Just imagine this being a frame or bumper or wheel.

No need for any imagination.

This is on my JK, something I still have problems mentioning in the same sentence with "Jeep".  That fact aside, powder coat almost always SUCKS big time.  Like paint, powder coat comes with a bunch of media options and proper prep is absolutely essential.  It can be done right but in reality, that rarely happens and there is no way to know before purchasing something.  I think I ended up with about $500 in materials rehabing that bumper by the time it was sandblasted (that didn't get all the crap out of those outside corners), reinforced/rewelded the tire carrier pivot, and rewelded almost all the seams on the back side.  Probably close to 10 lbs of wire-----  Then add several days of free labor with the needle scaler, sanding, skim coating, a 4 coats of epoxy primer.  Someplace around 60% of it was badly pitted.  Was it worth it?  Probably not.  Although "engineering" is in the manufactures name, their definition of that term is apparently quite different than mine.  I had previously re-engineered their closing mechanism and tire carrier that was impossible to keep the rattles out of and built what has proven to be a really functional trail tool holder for it.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2023 at 6:36pm
WHAT!!?? But I have read in many an advertisement that implies PC is the only coating method standing between you and disaster.

Is this correct? Powder coating was developed to coat lots of pieces faster with less loss of applied coating than more traditional methods. Not more effective. More economical. 

Electro coating is not PC, right?

Edited by jhg - 25 Mar. 2023 at 6:42pm
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2023 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by jhg jhg wrote:

WHAT!!?? But I have read in many an advertisement that implies PC is the only coating method standing between you and disaster.

Is this correct? Powder coating was developed to coat lots of pieces faster with less loss of applied coating than more traditional methods. Not more effective. More economical. 

Electro coating is not PC, right?
Yes, you are correct. 

Electroplating is a very different process. 
48 CJ2A
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2023 at 7:30pm
Here in the frozen north I think less of it. I’m sure pre-prep is an issue as most manufacturers want profit before quality. Problem in our climate is the powder coat and the base metal have different expansion and contraction rates in the summer/winter heat cool cycles, this hairline cracks the PC and then in the winter the road salt gets in the small cracks and attacks the base metal, then the PC comes off in sheets. Our John Deere dozers at work suffered terribly from this, the boxes on the back of the cabs would rot right off the machine in a few short years, very expensive to replace as well.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2023 at 7:05am
I ran a sand/plastic media blasting business for 12 years. I refused to do anything that had been powdercoated after bad experiences. It cost more to remove than the item it was applied to. All the above is true. 

It does work wonders with lead bullets coated. No lube needed. It will size up to a bit larger diameter and won't lead your barrel. Actually increases accuracy. Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2023 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

It does work wonders with lead bullets coated. No lube needed. It will size up to a bit larger diameter and won't lead your barrel. Actually increases accuracy. Wink

Will powder coat interfere with the bullet expanding on impact? I hunt with most of the bullets I cast and bullet expansion has always been an issue. 
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2023 at 8:50am
From target evidence after impact, I'd say no. 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>