Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VM Matori crd Turbo Diesel engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VM Matori crd Turbo Diesel engine
    Posted: 02 Mar. 2020 at 3:03pm
   Good morning everyone !

I have been snooping on occasion looking into the VM Matori turbo diesel 4-cylinder engine for a possible transplant into an early CJ2A.

From my searching, the Matori crd turbo diesel engine (France) was used in the Jeep Liberty around 2004 and 2005 year models.

It got revised somewhat through licensing and such and is now produced in Thailand GM plant for use in the Colorado pickup.

The attached link article explains some history:

https://idpartsblog.com/2018/06/08/yes-the-2-8l-duramax-is-a-cousin-of-the-jeep-crd-2-8l-from-vm-motori/

I have had thoughts of installing the Matori TD with the Liberty used auto transmission and t-case.   My fear is that the total length would exceed the room allowance of the early 2A chassis.

In the end, just installing a nice GM 350 vortex with aluminum heads from a GM pickup or tahoe is most practical if a person is looking for brute power and torque and ease of parts access. Maybe better yet would be the all aluminum V-8 that was used in the Camaro's and Vette's with low intake plenum.

For now, I am keeping the little L134 in my '57 CJ2A.

Len

Len

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2020 at 3:35am
The VM Motori engine plant is in Italy, not France.

My daily driver is a 2005 Liberty CRD with a 5 speed auto.

I like it enough that I decided I wanted one in an open top Jeep, so I bought another engine, and a 5 speed manual. It will most likely end up in an LJ or a JK Unlimited.

Not only is the automatic and Tcase too long for a CJ2A, but the rear transfer case output is centered, and the front runs under the driver, so you would need new front and rear axles. If I did that I would check whether a  Dana 300 might bolt up.

The Bosch engine controller on the Auto has worked flawlessly. I don't know about the engine controller on the manual version.
littlesteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2020 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

The VM Motori engine plant is in Italy, not France.

My daily driver is a 2005 Liberty CRD with a 5 speed auto.

I like it enough that I decided I wanted one in an open top Jeep, so I bought another engine, and a 5 speed manual. It will most likely end up in an LJ or a JK Unlimited.

Not only is the automatic and Tcase too long for a CJ2A, but the rear transfer case output is centered, and the front runs under the driver, so you would need new front and rear axles. If I did that I would check whether a  Dana 300 might bolt up.

The Bosch engine controller on the Auto has worked flawlessly. I don't know about the engine controller on the manual version.

Is your CRD the 2.5 or the 2.8?

--------

Id think for fitment into a stock Willys, investing in a 2spd Atlas would be your best bet as they can be ordered with a passenger side drop, have a twin stick set up and can be ordered to bolt right up. The offset rear diff would make no odds.
The manual version of the early KJ has a NV3550 and latterly a NSG370 which from a driveabilty point of view, I thought was far superior to the auto having driven both.
The VM engine is essentially a factory modification so should be simple to fit and wire however having said that I would find a complete car to pull the engine, transmission and loom from as the ecu is tied into the immobiliser circuits. I would go so far as to say that I would have all the wiring our of the car and set it up with the engine running and take the loom apart until you were left with enough to run the engine. I would also change the glow plugs and timing belt whilst it was all out of the vehicle and clean the 'throttle' flap in the inlet tract.

If you want a simple swap do a 350 Chevy. If you want a rewarding swap and fuel economy north of 28mpg with high torque figures, good throttle control ability and more horsepower than a stock 350 then that's the hot ticket. Im talking about the 2.8 here. 
The 2.5 is just as good just not as thrusty.

jpet brought me here.

XJ
KJ CRD x5 (+1 on the way,probably)
YJ about to be butchered & hit with the restoring stick.
TJ
One day I'll have a Willys, be cool like everybody else.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2020 at 9:37am
I forgot to mention the one downside of an R428 is the oil filter location, it is placed in a very prone position and I would be wary of fitment into a "stock" Willys that gets wheeled. 
jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2020 at 12:37pm
Yes,  both of mine are 2.8's.

The one in the 2005 has 66,000 miles on it. I planned to do the timing belt at 100,000 miles.

The 'spare' only has a few hundred miles on it, and has a better oil filter location.

There is another running salvage CRD near me for $2200, but it has 200,000 miles on it.

Edited by Joe Friday - 10 Apr. 2020 at 12:40pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2020 at 4:01pm

Yes,  both of mine are 2.8's.

The one in the 2005 has 66,000 miles on it. I planned to do the timing belt at 100,000 miles.

The 'spare' only has a few hundred miles on it, and has a better oil filter location.

There is another running salvage CRD near me for $2200, but it has 200,000 miles on it.

Could you take a picture of the entire thing? Id be interested to see the difference's as I have already spotted a few.
jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 3:56am
I'm 4600 miles from home and won't  be home for a month, but yes, when I get there I can take pics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 6:06pm

I'm 4600 miles from home and won't  be home for a month, but yes, when I get there I can take pics.

Ok cool, I'd appreciate it.
jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ
 Post Reply Post Reply