Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Instruments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Walck's 12v Fuel gauge and sending unit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Walck's 12v Fuel gauge and sending unit
    Posted: 26 May 2013 at 5:21pm
Walck's Fuel Gauge review.

My Jeep is 12v so I ordered a 12v gauge and sending  unit from Walck's.  After reviewing a few posts on the matter, I ran a ground wire from the sending unit to the ground on the gauge and then a ground to the chassis, to ensure I have the best circuit possible.

The gauge came with about a 1/2" hole in the back to adjust the needle sweep if need be, mine required none, but the light kit that came with the gauge is too small in diameter to fit the hole and the light bulb hits the adjustment point.  Nothing else came in the box, so I taped up the hole to keep dirt out.

I like to pull all the wires out of the hole, wire them to the gauge and then install it in the dash.  Not possible with this one, if the wires are nutted on first, the bracket (which has insulated holes) bottoms on the nuts before it will clamp the dash.  A taller bracket would make this job so much simpler!  

I was happy to see the sending unit comes with a brass float, my old plastic one was full of gas.  It and the gauge appear to be good quality pieces.  Leaving the key on as I filled the nearly empty tank, the gauge is reasonably accurate, other than the two issues above, I'm a happy camper.

Tools required for both installations:  5/16" nut driver, wire stripper, crimper.  Both need ring terminals.

12v Fuel gauge pn 640763-12V

Sending unit pn 640694

Clone421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 11:08pm
I ordered the same gauge and sender from Walck's , except 6v. They work, however the gauge needed to be adjusted all the way to the right because as the generator was charging it was sending extra amperage to the gauge causing it to register at half full even though the tank was near empty.
Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1950 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe
1984 Honda VF750F
 Post Reply Post Reply