Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Walck's Wiring Harness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Walck's Wiring Harness
    Posted: 15 Nov. 2021 at 1:08pm
Ok, so I have searched the forum (which can be a challenge of it's own), and the internet, and spoken to Carl Walck's a couple times.

I have pictures of how my Jeep was as I disassembled, but not shockingly it was a bit of a mess.

So, I am trying to do it right and the directions with the harness are a nightmare.  I have seen a couple good posts here on specific areas of the harness, and the simplified diagrams, but I have not been able to find a comprehensive post or article with pictures of each harness and how it looks installed and mounted.

Take the grill for example. I took a ton of pictures, but when I compare them to a Google search of grill wiring they are very different.  What goes on top vs. bottom? Which clamp is a sheet metal screw (if any - since mine had a lot of these) and which are screw\nut combos?

Under the dash is another story too.  Do these wires just lay?  How do I know what of the 400 holes is for the wiring clamp?

It is frustrating because I am not new to wiring, but with all the different ways this harness attaches to the body, and is routed through specific holes, etc., it get's overwhelming.

I am doing the "one harness at a time" method, but that doesn't work when it comes to the ammeter, starter, ignition, and voltage regulator.

If I had one area that most worries me, it is under the dash and how that all gets routed and secured.  

Thanks

Edited by jgodfrey - 15 Nov. 2021 at 1:38pm
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2021 at 2:05pm
Just started my own install of the Walck's harness in my '47 CJ2A.  Harness quality is great, instructions leave a bit to be desired.
 I started at the headlights & am working my way back. Under hood wiring is done & looks sanitary.
I used 10-24 x 1/2 button head slotted machine screws for the hold downs. I am using the front marker lights as signals & just capped off the yellow marker lead. All of the wiring on mine runs along the top of the grill under the lip.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2021 at 5:43pm
I have a harness from Walcks for a CJ2A. 

The tracing marks on each wire matches with the instructions. 

Just run the wires, and clamp them where needed to keep thing tidy. 

The harness they produce is as close to original as I have ever seen, and wiring on these Jeeps is pretty simple. 

Under the dash, you can just connect everything to where it goes and use a few zip ties to bundle it and keep it neat. Nobody is going to stick their head under your dash to see if you have everything exactly as it is supposed to be.  
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2021 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I have a harness from Walcks for a CJ2A. 

The tracing marks on each wire matches with the instructions. 

Just run the wires, and clamp them where needed to keep thing tidy. 

The harness they produce is as close to original as I have ever seen, and wiring on these Jeeps is pretty simple. 

Under the dash, you can just connect everything to where it goes and use a few zip ties to bundle it and keep it neat. Nobody is going to stick their head under your dash to see if you have everything exactly as it is supposed to be.  

X2. Unless you are shooting for a museum quality restoration, the wiring you do will work if you match all the tracing marks. I guarantee you that only one out of one million people will notice something wrong...yes, there are jeep police out there that will point out the wrongs...but, you know what? It's your jeep, not theirs. Jeep police be damned...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Richard J View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2021 at 6:45pm
I used walcks harness and had no problems at all .It's a top notch harness the cj2a is very is very simple and there diagrams on this site that show how simple it is.
Richard
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2021 at 8:07pm
I can offer one tip/trick that will help the Walck's diagram make a lot more sense and will simplify the task...

Draw the firewall.

That's it.  Drawing the firewall on to the Walck's diagram will make you see the light.Wink

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2021 at 8:21pm
 I also used Walcks wiring harness and found it easy to use after studying their diagram.  One thing I did that made it easier was label all the wire ends using masking tape before I started. The only trouble I had was the wire that went from the regulator to the amp meter was to short to reach the regulator.  After I ordered a new piece of wire and went to change it I found out that I ran the wrong end through the fire wall and all I had to do was swap ends Embarrassed

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Spangenwerks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spangenwerks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2021 at 8:43pm
I too used the walcks 2a wiring (with turn signals). My cj3a is a frame up reconstruction so I had no idea what was original. That said, I took my time and all went well, even though I have a 12 volt alternator and battery.
The only issue if there is one was the difficulty connecting the cylinder mounted brake switch, as the internal brass connectors didnt want to go on the switch posts easily, but that could be an aftermarket switch problem.
 Im still rebuilding a signal switch so those wires are hanging but hope to be completed by spring.
BTW my under dash wires are mostly hanging, havent cleaned it up yet. Im left guessing too at where to anchor things but following "best practice" protocol. 
What have any of you done for two way radio/phone charger power? 
Ron Spangenberg
51 CJ3A- L134, D18, Disc Brakes, rear lockrites
47 CJ2A, original, unrestored
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2021 at 10:10pm
I don't worry about a phone charger, but all you need is a 12V charger for the phone, and a cigarette lighter socket. Doubles as a cigarette lighter too, which can come in handy for other things besides lighting a cigarette. 

Add a lead to the accessory terminal on the ignition switch and run it to a plug for your radio? 

The idea above of drawing the firewall makes a lot of sense to me. Makes it easier to visualize.  

I always start with the harness for the light circuit which exits the firewall on the driver's side through the grommet. Power from the starter switch goes to the breaker on the light switch which branches to the lights and horn. That harness is the only part of the system with any real complexity, mostly due to the brake switch (and turn signals if you have them) and dimmer switch, but it is still fairly simple. 

The wiring harness for the staring and ignition circuit is pretty simple, even simpler if the Jeep has been converted to 12V with an internally regulated alternator. 

The list and diagrams provided with the Walcks kit make a lot more sense after you study the wiring diagram in the manual, and if you draw the firewall as suggested it should be pretty clear. 

Edited by Oldpappy - 15 Nov. 2021 at 10:23pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2021 at 10:22pm
I printed up the diagram then color took marks and color coded the instructions, the first time I looked at it it was confusing, then I started laying it out and it all started making sense. 
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2021 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by spangenwerks spangenwerks wrote:

What have any of you done for two way radio/phone charger power?

Originally posted by oldpappy oldpappy wrote:

Add a lead to the accessory terminal on the ignition switch and run it to a plug for your radio?

Exactly how I did it!  Search "auxiliary power outlet "
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2021 at 11:31am
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

I also used Walcks wiring harness and found it easy to use after studying their diagram.  One thing I did that made it easier was label all the wire ends using masking tape before I started. The only trouble I had was the wire that went from the regulator to the amp meter was to short to reach the regulator.  After I ordered a new piece of wire and went to change it I found out that I ran the wrong end through the fire wall and all I had to do was swap ends Embarrassed

Jim

Ok - let's talk about this harness specifically.  I have this one in place and it just seems odd.  I have the generator harness in - pretty idiot-proof.  But the harness that goes through the firewall to the ammeter is confusing.  The wires seem to want to go the wrong direction (which leads me to believe I have it wrong.)  I watched the video where the guy draws the firewall and explains which end is under the dash and which end is in the engine bay, but when it comes to that harness, I thought he had it backwards.

I don't have it in front of me, but it's the right-side harness.  There are two three tracer red wires that are joined at one end (joined end goes to the ammeter).  Then there is a black wire with three white traces that has a large copper termination (assumable for the battery side of the floor starter switch). In the video he states the wire with the large copper terminator goes under the dash.  Is that a mistake?  Because I attached it to the back side of the floor switch in the engine bay (the only post with that diameter that matches the termination.)

If anyone has pictures of that voltage regulator to ammeter harness I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Edited by jgodfrey - 16 Nov. 2021 at 12:24pm
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2021 at 12:40pm
Shot you a PM, text me and I'll send you pics of my wiring, I'll  be out in the shop today.
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2021 at 4:15pm
Has anyone seen or been able to find the source of this diagram?  I stumbled upon it, but it is on a site called diagramweb.net - which seems like a sketchy website.

Someone put a lot of thought into this - matching colors, tracers, and locations.  It also appears to have different buttons that isolate each harness.  Having images of these would be amazing.

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2021 at 4:37pm
I've been on that diagram page several times.  The buttons at the bottom will help isolate each circuit for clarification.

Here's where I found it (on the cj-2a.com website):

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2021 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

I've been on that diagram page several times.  The buttons at the bottom will help isolate each circuit for clarification.

YES!!!  This is what I was hoping to find.  Thank you!
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2021 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

Ok. Right side harness is in and correct. I have the main harness through the firewall and the high/low beam switch wired and mounted.

But I am stumped on the turn signals. I have the chrome version with two power leads. But they are both black. How are these light sgrounded, and where can I find a diagram that includes wiring the turn signals. The interactive one is a God's send, but only shows parking lights. 

The Walck's instructions are hand written for part of this section of wiring, so it's hard to track. I have a few "extra" wires that are not labeled in the directions. One has a male terminator, and then I have two blue and one yellow with no connections on either end.

Anyone that has wired signals with a Walck's harness would be appreciated.

I also looked at the turn signal stalk and had to hang it up for the night before trying to wrap my brain around how that ties into the main harness.

Again, hand written notes and diagram. 

No idea why it turned that sideways, sorry. 

Thanks

P.S. - after getting the right side harness in I took the Jeep for its maiden drive. First time it rolled on its own power in 30+ years. You couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

Edited by jgodfrey - 27 Nov. 2021 at 8:52am
 Post Reply Post Reply