Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wanted: frame mounted engine brackets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanted: frame mounted engine brackets
    Posted: 15 June 2019 at 7:04pm
I need a set of engine mount brackets for this frame.  It's a late '48 2A frame and so it uses the late 2A mounts which are the same as the 3A and 3B frame mounts. The repop mounts for 2A frames are incorrect for this frame. I checked with one of the vendors who told me these mounts are not being reproduced, so I'll need a set of cut offs.  All help appreciated, thanks!

1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

Andy Meyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Meyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2019 at 11:25pm
I have 2a everything going on a early 5 frame, I ended up splitting the top and bottom of the early 2a mounts and making new lower halves out of 10ga sheet, it was easy enough to do but took a little time.
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2019 at 2:42am
Originally posted by Andy Meyer Andy Meyer wrote:

I have 2a everything going on a early 5 frame, I ended up splitting the top and bottom of the early 2a mounts and making new lower halves out of 10ga sheet, it was easy enough to do but took a little time.

Good suggestion, I'll keep it in mind, thanks!

Still hoping to find an original set I can bolt on. Anyone? 

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2019 at 3:04am
Don't know how accurate these would be for a 2A:

I think some fabrication would be needed to fit a 3B (even thought it says it would).

Before I did something like this, I'd give Harry Sheets a call to see what he has.  I wouldn't be surprised if he had already harvested a few off some frames.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2019 at 3:44am
Originally posted by jbjeeps jbjeeps wrote:

I need a set of engine mount brackets for this frame.  It's a late '48 2A frame and so it uses the late 2A mounts which are the same as the 3A and 3B frame mounts. The repop mounts for 2A frames are incorrect for this frame. I checked with one of the vendors who told me these mounts are not being reproduced, so I'll need a set of cut offs.  All help appreciated, thanks!

I own a late 2A, the engine mount on the passenger side is indeed the same as a 3A/3B/M38. The drivers side mount is not, as the front engine plate ear faces foreword on the 3A and back on a 2A. If your a handy person you could move the drivers side 3A mount back, I believe the rivet hole spacing is the same but as you move the mount back down the curve of the frame the pad where the rubber mount bolts on tips back and you would need to cut it and make it plumb with the engine mount and re weld it, a PIA 😮.... An early style mount would be easier to make work imo.

Lee

Edited by Lee (MN) - 16 June 2019 at 3:46am
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2019 at 11:19am
I may have the mounts you are looking for. I'll look later today and send PM.
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2019 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

Don't know how accurate these would be for a 2A:

I think some fabrication would be needed to fit a 3B (even thought it says it would).

Before I did something like this, I'd give Harry Sheets a call to see what he has.  I wouldn't be surprised if he had already harvested a few off some frames.

Thanks for your reply Rus. Interesting that DL lists the 3A and 3B in the description.  Those look like the 2A repop brackets. I have a set of them sitting on the bench and they definitely won't fit without modification.  I'll check with Harry Sheets at Midwest Willys. I may go the route that Andy described if I can't find a good original set.  

Edited by jbjeeps - 16 June 2019 at 2:19pm

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2019 at 2:08pm
[/QUOTE] 

I own a late 2A, the engine mount on the passenger side is indeed the same as a 3A/3B/M38. The drivers side mount is not, as the front engine plate ear faces foreword on the 3A and back on a 2A. If your a handy person you could move the drivers side 3A mount back, I believe the rivet hole spacing is the same but as you move the mount back down the curve of the frame the pad where the rubber mount bolts on tips back and you would need to cut it and make it plumb with the engine mount and re weld it, a PIA 😮.... An early style mount would be easier to make work imo.

Lee [/QUOTE]

Thanks for that info Lee. Yes, the different engine plates complicates this a bit. The engine I have for this frame has the rear facing ear.  I'm anxious to get the engine in and see what I need to do to make it work.

Edited by jbjeeps - 16 June 2019 at 2:13pm

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2019 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by mullen46cj2a mullen46cj2a wrote:

I may have the mounts you are looking for. I'll look later today and send PM.

That would be awesome Bruce. I await your reply. Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply