Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Warn hubs with lockright locker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2017 at 2:45am
Thanks for the additional first hand experience/knowledge Stan. Good, valuable and concise. 
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 6:31am
I just installed powerlocks front and rear on my 2a. A 25 up front and a 44 rear. I don't like the way it steers in 4wd. I mainly travel in 4 low with hubs unlocked, it is noticeably more stiff. With hubs locked even worse. I would like to try it in the 2 low, but I still have the inlace pin.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

I just installed powerlocks front and rear on my 2a. A 25 up front and a 44 rear. I don't like the way it steers in 4wd. I mainly travel in 4 low with hubs unlocked, it is noticeably more stiff. With hubs locked even worse. I would like to try it in the 2 low, but I still have the inlace pin.

That seems weird to me. With hubs unlocked, I can’t think of how anything happening in the pumpkin could affect the motion at the wheels. Could the hubs not be disengaging properly?
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

That seems weird to me. With hubs unlocked, I can’t think of how anything happening in the pumpkin could affect the motion at the wheels. Could the hubs not be disengaging properly?

I hear you on that, but it sure does change the way it steers when I do lock the hubs so I think they are working properly. It only has maybe 20 miles on them. Do they need to brake in at all? I will call the guy who installed the locker and pick his brain.
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 2:50pm
As a new locker user I'd add that unlocked I wouldn't know I had a front locker. The back locker is a different story. I get the "torque steer" effect and the clunk noise from time to time in 2WD (unlocked). In 4 WD low I was happy to find that the steering was (to me) not noticeably different. I do expect the steering to be bad in 4 low sometime, just not yet.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 3:13pm
Steve,
You have the Lock Right lockers, is that correct?

I have Lock Right lockers so I know how those work. They are locked when toque is applied to the axle, either in a positive manner as when you press the skinny pedal, or in a negative manner, as when you are going down hill using the engine as a brake. As you mentioned, you will get a little "torque steer", or push from the rear axle trying to make you go straight if you apply torque/power during a turn, ir when down shifting during a turn, but it's not too big of a deal, to me anyway. 

I don't really understand how a Power Lock works. My understanding is they have clutches and such that transfer power from side to side, but I don't know what activates the power transfer. 

Chasendeer, could your steering in 4wd low with front hubs unlocked actually be push coming from the rear end being locked up and trying to make both rear wheels turn at the same speed?
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Chasendeer, could your steering in 4wd low with front hubs unlocked actually be push coming from the rear end being locked up and trying to make both rear wheels turn at the same speed?

I don't think so, because i goes away when I put the transfer case in 2 high. 
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 5:16pm
Yes Stan, mine are Powertrax Lock-Rights. I think we all have the same thing. 2110s in the front and 2415s in the rear. Sounds to me that something "ain't right".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2017 at 5:35am
I spoke to Herm and the guy who did the work on my Dana 25 today. Both of them said it was the nature of the beast and recommended pull the interlock pin so I can have 2 low.
Jay
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2017 at 1:43pm
Maybe you really do have some other brand of lockers. If you bought your lockers from Herm they could be something "unusual". Do you have the boxes they came in?
SnorriS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnorriS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2021 at 5:41pm
Stan,

If memory serves me right, you used a Lock Right 2115-LR (Dana 27) on your Dana 25 front end, correct?
48 in process
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2021 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by SnorriS SnorriS wrote:

Stan,

If memory serves me right, you used a Lock Right 2115-LR (Dana 27) on your Dana 25 front end, correct?

Yes.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12