Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Warn Overdrive - Question about seals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warn Overdrive - Question about seals
    Posted: 18 May 2022 at 3:34pm
I am reassembling a Warn Overdrive after cleaning it and replacing some bearings. In case it matters it is an older Warn front shift unit with roll pins on the tapered nose washer.

I ordered a set of gaskets and seals from AA and there are two "O" ring seals in the kit, one is about 5/8" and that goes in the bore for the shift rail, but the other is about 1 3/8" and I do not have a clue where it goes as nothing in the unit had such a seal when I disassembled it.

Anyone know where this larger "O" ring would be used?

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 4:05pm
Is it possible the "kit" has multiple applications?
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 4:32pm
That was my first thought, and probably the case since there are several makes and versions of the units with parts interchanging between them. 

This is my first time inside of one of these and I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2022 at 7:06pm
I discovered where the larger "O" ring is used, but I am not sure why it needs one there.

The oddball "nut" that attaches the planetary assembly to the transmission output shaft has a groove for the "O" ring. Now to get at that thing I would have to pull all of the planetary gears out and that is a major task on an old Warn unit, and as Homer Simpson once said "If something is hard to do it isn't worth doing". 

All seriousness aside, the unit shares oil with the transfer case and if the "O" ring in there now leaks, which it probably doesn't, that just means more oil gets inside than what is picked up by the scoop. 
 Post Reply Post Reply