Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water in Compressor air lines.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water in Compressor air lines.
    Posted: 03 Jan. 2020 at 4:27pm
 I also had problem in the past with condensation in my air lines .This is what I did and it seem to be working great. I also did the same thing for my brother who was also having problem with condensation in  his lines.Here is what I did. I used 28 feet of copper pipe from my compressor to my water filter. I made a header with the copper pipe to save space. I used a rubber hose to connect the copper line at the compressor to help with vibration . I also installed a drain at the end of the copper pipe. My filter setup is installed in the garage section that I work in .I used to do a lot of body work ,sandblasting and paint and I never had any problem with water.But I never sandblasted too much in the winter.Here are some pictures of my setup.For me it made a big difference.

1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2020 at 4:46pm
I have a small compressor and tank with water problems.  Put a valve on a bottom bung and started draining the tank of moisture.  Solved my problem.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2020 at 4:50pm
It does help to drain your compressor daily but if you run your compressor a lot it will get hot and make condensation in the lines.
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2020 at 7:41pm
as in good mechanic or paint shops, drain compressor daily and install proper sized water traps. When I was a mechanic, I had a personal air regulator, water trap, and oilier at MY air hose source even though there was a water trap near the compressor.  

I run a 80 gallon set up now with copper lines and use two water traps and have had no issues. 
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2020 at 8:15pm
I run a 5 hp Quincy compressor in my shop. I can’t have water in my air it causes issues in epoxies I use. Years ago I bought a Ingersol Dryer that was sized to my compressor. It cost about what my compressor did. I’ve been running it for 14 years without incident. A couple of the young guys that paint bikes and cars around here have a Copper coil in a Cooler that they fill with Icethen put traps down stream. Seems to work well. Here in the Midwest the Relative Humidity is at least High all Summer. 
Ducati Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducati Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2020 at 7:17pm
Watch out for ice in the line to the pressure switch, I only run the heat when working in the garage, it was frozen yesterday, could have been interesting, but having a plumbing history, I was aware of why the pressure was so good~
 Post Reply Post Reply