Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We are cutting the cord

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We are cutting the cord
    Posted: 18 Jan. 2020 at 3:28am
So the Neighbors came over the other night to exchange Christmas gifts (yea I know late but they were off visiting) Anyway in the course of the evening they mention how they have dumped cable. And what they replaced it with. Well our cable bill was approaching the cost of a car payment so we were all ears. I looked into the options they mentioned we played with it a few days now on the free trails and come Monday the cable co can have the Box/DVR thing back. We will loose one or two conveniences but gain a HUGE pile of stuff better suited to what we like and the best news is looks like the Total monthly bill will drop between $100 and $125.

And along with this we upgraded our internet to roughly 10 times the speed we had. ONLY before I did this I checked and we were only getting half what we were paying for!!! Then we switch to the new speed and I run a speed test and CRAP roughly half the speed (granted 10 times what we were getting) SO I call Tech support and they send a nice kid out this afternoon and he looks at stuff runns a couple of speed tests and says he will be right back. Comes back in the house with a new router hooks it up and runs a speed test and its showing 16mbps FASTER then we are paying for.

He looks at me and says Yep your router is like 10 years out of date go buy one that has this designation and you will be golden. Wife picked one up one her way into Salem to go shopping with the grand daughters and WOW WOW its FAST now and costs less then 1/2 of what we were paying. The first two months on the new setup will cover all our up front costs for equipment etc.

But of course I have to beat and pound on my computer to get it to connect with the new router. But thats all done now.

SO with a $100 saving on the Cable Bill Wife and I discussed it and I'm going to up my 401K contribution another 2% and we get to go out to dinner once more each month LOL.

a WIN WIN.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2020 at 4:25am
Ok What did you go to? 😊
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2020 at 5:45am
You will appreciate that 401K in the future.
What provider did you sign with?
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2020 at 7:09am
Its through my work currently managed by Empower currently putting in 15% most likely going to 20%  once any winter Bill's are caught up. I got 6 years left before I want to retire more in the bank so to speak is always better. But we think we are on a pretty good course. Having the house paid for sure helps.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2020 at 7:13am
We went to a Roku stick and HULU plus a couple other streaming channels We get all our local stuff and almost everything we watched on cable. We also have a Blueray player that accesses the net so we still have Prime and Netflix that way splitting the accounts with our son
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2020 at 12:19pm
Yes Cable or Satcom (Directv/Dish) fees along with Internet and cell phone services are such a monopoly.

We still have a landline with ATT&T Uverse bundled with innerweb & DTV and I have to call them about twice a year and complain or threaten to quit to get them to discount a few things and lower the bill...it really gets old and its so expensive.

I've been deployed since Oct and I get high speed web in my room so been using an Amazon Firestick and can access a few things with my DTV or In-Laws Dish accts. Especially History, Discovery, A&E, AMC, plus my Amazon Prime content & a shared Netflix with my Daughter. Watched quite a few Series that I would not normally have watched at home.

Its a bit of an in convenience running the different apps to watch what I want to see but, there are plenty of free content AKPs you can load using youtube with quite a bit of free content out there including very current movies. Last night I loaded "Morphix" and it has a huge movie catalog so I watched "the upside" great movie!

Last year we had Hulu for 99 cents a month from a 2018 Black Friday Promo but I really did see a lot of content I wanted to watch myself so I let it expire.

I'm dumping 16% in my 401K type and as early as 2022 for retirement.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2020 at 12:49pm
x2 on the roku+hulu plus+netflix+prime, lol...

Oh, and I'm currently dumping 27% into college tuition, so I get HBO (ehem)..."free" Confused

Next year I'm bumping 27 up to 35% to get the kid done, and I'M free Stern SmileLOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2020 at 1:59pm
I went a different way then college for the kids they both went USNavy the daughter 4 active 4 reserve as a Corpsman she is now a triage  nurse for a huge pediatric clinic she works from home 4 days a week to be with her girls and in the office on the fifth. My son did 10 active as an Electronics tech. He is now working for a real good outfit called Roger's Machinery as a service tech working on commercial air compressors and blower/dust filtration systems. He gets to travel 1/3 of the state and really enjoys the job.

So dirt cheap for me lol.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2020 at 10:54pm
We kicked cable to the curb last May. One of the best days of my life was carrying all the boxes into Comcast to return it. The guy looked at me and said 'I can't talk you out of this can I?' I said no way.

Changed internet provider to Wowway and save us $120 a month. Netflix for $7 and Hulu for $4.99. I cheap out and get the lower price so we still have to deal with commercials. Which is fine, its place holder for refills.

Got digital antenna Amazon cube and Recast. The cube and recast are really glitchy and need alot of improvements, but for $120 a month savings I'll live with it.

There are so many fee apps out there, we pretty much get the same amount of channels that we did with cable. Pluto tv is incredible and FREE.

Looking at 2034 for retirement date....Cry hopefully the last one is out of college by then.

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2020 at 9:40pm
   Interesting !!

My wife just phoned Dish and told them they can have their box back because she is cutting them OFF.
   Dish said our box was so out dated to just throw it in the dumpster.
They never ever offered to upgrade our box we were paying a premium for.
Go figure. Then when the geek asked if a lower price would keep us onboard, at $80.00 per month less, the wife told him she didn't want their BS any longer.
Truthfully, we didn't watch a great variety anyway, so we have an extra $120 per month disposable.   The savings will get spent on the grand daughter. hahaha

Oh, too, she cut off our internet service and changed over to a better service which uses the 4g phone repeater's. Much better than the Satellite country service which has been worse than the old Dial-up of 20-years ago.

I'm now wondering what else we can Purge that we are addicted to.

Good Call Mark !!

Len
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2020 at 11:27pm
I don't see how we could save much along these lines.  We pay a total of about $70 / month for our land line, internet and Netflix.  And since I don't have a cell phone we aren't losing the land line.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2020 at 9:18pm
We cut the cord a few years back with the Amazon Fire-stick. Initially we opted for Sling TV with the sports package, and it was terrible. Games were blacked out, some games would say a particular team was playing, but once your looking at it, it was the wrong team (or in some cases the wrong sport). 

So we ditched Sling and opted for DirectTV's streaming service and we've had a much better experience. However, every couple of months, DirectTV looses a few channels and the price has increased another $40 per month from what we were paying when we started. (Even though we haven't changed our channel lineup whatsoever) 

So now with the streaming services all increasing their prices (due to their popularity) the wife and I might go back to cable. Thumbs Down

I'm pretty basic, all I watch is HGTV, Motortrend, and the History Channel. So long as I have those, I'm happy.

Edited by IRQVET - 03 Feb. 2020 at 9:26pm
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2020 at 12:16pm
Living in the mountains a long way from the big cities, we're kinda limited on the TV/internet services we can use.  We're using Dish for our TV stuff, and Hughesnet for our internet.  Bundled price for us is $64 a month.  So far my only complaint is they need a dish antenna that does not collect snow.  Whenever it snows I have to go clean off the dish to get my reception back.  I would love to have DSL service, but for now that's only available if you live in a town.  Remote homes in the county can't get it. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2020 at 5:37pm
Well its official yesterday I walked the Cable box and remote to the Cable office. The gal tried her best to sell me something more then just the 100mb internet service but I held out. She told me now that we are only using Internet for everything that our data usage will go up and we need a plan with more Data current is 400 and she points out last month we used 358. I knew that for the last month 90% of our TV use has been all internet anyway as was about 40% all the months before. So I think we are good. If not we can always bump it up.

SO far extremely happy with the stuff available between Roku, Hulu, Acorn, Disney, CBS all access, Pluto, Starz, and some other free channels Looks like we will have shaved $100-$110 a month off our TV/internet bill.  With a lot more choices.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2020 at 8:40pm
Ive been threatening this for years but the wife likes out dish service. We have ATT dsl, but it's slow and glitchy. I have a fire stick in my garage I watch a lot of Netflix and prime on. I'd love to get an antenna for local and get rid of dish, but I don't know how we'd get turner classic movies.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
mictat2214 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mictat2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2020 at 2:45pm
Got rid of Direct TV and Verizon ( land line ) couple months ago. Opted for Optimum Altice 1: Internet, 2 TVs and 1 land line. Now paying $170.00 vs. $300.00 monthly. Get Netflix thru T-Mobile cell service.
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2020 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Well its official yesterday I walked the Cable box and remote to the Cable office. The gal tried her best to sell me something more then just the 100mb internet service but I held out. She told me now that we are only using Internet for everything that our data usage will go up and we need a plan with more Data current is 400 and she points out last month we used 358. I knew that for the last month 90% of our TV use has been all internet anyway as was about 40% all the months before. So I think we are good. If not we can always bump it up.

Wowway pulled the same bull pucky with us trying to sell us way more internet speed than we needed. I used a broadband calculator to come up with what we truly needed. They insisted we would need minimum of 400 MPBS. My calculation came out to under 120. Opted for 100 and have never had an issue.

https://broadbandnow.com/bandwidth-calculator

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2020 at 11:20pm
Yea we will be pushing the 400MPBS we have now the wife does You Tube Videos of her Cross Stitch stuff as well as watching hours of other women cross stitch (hey keeps her busy happy and out of my hair) And in the Winter I do watch a lot of evening TV (cause in the winter I hit the rack after mid night during construction season when I have to get up at 5am well not so late!

But if we go over we will take a look and depending on how much for those few months each year our usage is high we can just pay the per MB fee or we might add to it.

Right now we are saving about $125.00 a month which means $125 more into something else like the 401K
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>