Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weird brake/ clutch issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davis911s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird brake/ clutch issue
    Posted: 01 June 2018 at 3:45am
I purchased a 48 Willys with a SBC installed. It has a muncie transmission, and I believe the original transfer case

Jeep runs real well, probably too much power but fun.

Anyway it had a weird issue starting last year when I was driving. Every time I depressed the clutch the vehicle would stop , like someone hitting the brake. I looked and don't see where anything was binding between the 2 pedals or levers. 

Any idea what this might be?

I haven't driven it yet this year it is more a toy for out at an acreage

Thanks in advance
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 6:18am
Brake pedal not freely rotating on the cross shaft?  That is, is the brake pedal moving when the clutch pedal is depressed?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 1:51pm
YEP thats it you need to dig into your Clutch Pivot tube.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 2:20am
Is the Willys even using the stock clutch linkage?  When I put the first SBC in my 3B, I was using a dual chamber master cylinder with the brakes on one side and the clutch on the other.  While I have never experienced any cross leakage between those bores, that would certainly cause the problems you are experiencing.

Post some photos.

And you can't have too much power.  Do you know which Muncie?
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
 Post Reply Post Reply