Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weird Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird Jeep
    Posted: 28 Dec. 2019 at 1:24am
Here's an interesting Jeep.  This pic is from the construction of the first thermonuclear device on Earth, late in 1952--the "Ivy Mike" test shot.  It's the one that evaporated the entire island of Elugelab. 

The Jeep looks like a conglomeration of a couple different models.  There's a full-floating rear axle and what appear to be MB seats, but a CJ windshield frame.  Tailgate opening and bumperettes too, but located strangely.  Is it a 2A or something else?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2019 at 2:38am
Post production modification. No tool indents no top bow pockets no tailgate chain tabs Tail lights are up high I see no trailer socket

Maybe its purpose is to confuse the Soviets!
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2019 at 2:39am
Maybe some of the parts were evaporated and they had to make do.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2019 at 4:35am
No gas filler either, and can't see if there are body drain holes.  I was searching in the Los Alamos Laboratory archive for other pics of this Jeep but I can't find any.  Can you believe they didn't think to provide more views of this Jeep?  Who was running that outfit?!?
dldecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dldecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2019 at 3:52am
made it a little bigger

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2019 at 11:50pm
Now I see what may be a rectangular depression around a wheelwell toolbox latch button.  Is this a GPW cut for a tailgate??  I can almost discern a shovel bracket for the business end of a shovel there below the windshield frame.  Windshield frame still looks CJ to me. 
 Post Reply Post Reply