Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welder it us on installing body panels.?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2007 at 12:04am
Quote: "ey Jack, you anywhere close to Moultrie?"

'Bout 30 miles south. Go up there every couple of weeks.
Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
CJ2aAl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2aAl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2007 at 12:24am

Glad this subject came up... I have a stick welder and can't weld thin metal to save my life. So I’ve been thinking about getting up one of those cheapo Harbor Freight 110 wire feed welders just for body work. 

Anybody have experience with or have an opinion about these welders?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44567

I bought one of those. Never welded in my life. It's great for closing up holes, small fabrication
and I did use it for some floor repair. A buddy had warned me I'd quickly "grow out of it" he was right. But for the price I think it was worth it.

Edited by CJ2aAl - 16 Nov. 2007 at 12:25am
1948 CJ2a #196169

1995 YJ
1997 ZJ
2001 WJ
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2007 at 4:41am
I have one in the garage it is new and the son in law brought it over.  Maybe some day I will plug it in.
Ed
cj2a lefty
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2007 at 11:37am
Don't forget the possibility of buying used better quality welders  instead of chinese copies that can't be repaired when they break......Check the want ads and pawn shops...and be ready to buy instantly as the used stuff normally sells instantly. Auctions can be good too but be carefull to bid less than a new one...lol.

Millermatic 135 and most Lincoln  migs are excellent. Anything designed for production work is going to be big and heavy...but the new Lincoln 110 rig isn't anything to sneeze at either and is small enough to be very portable. .

Whichever welder you get, find someone who knows MIG  to help you out on setting it up.. I have a buddy who got a welder and couldn't get it to weld worth beans, only to have me discover a year after he bought it that the cable had been installed wrong blocking off his gas to the nozzle. We got that fixed, set a couple of knobs, and he instantly became a pro welder.

Butt welding using stitch technique is the best  repair for sheet metal .....in my book anyhow.

Does anyone use a resistance spot welder to try and duplicate the spot welds the factory put our mutts together with??? I saw a couple of nice 151's at SAM'S SURPLUS  in TX the other day and you sure could see all the spot welds on the tub, especially tub sides where the floor and toolbox suppor areas met.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

(Name Blocked) View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (Name Blocked) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2007 at 6:41pm
I was at a welding store this afternoon and tried a Miller 140 mig welder with auto setting. This feature when set on proper metal thickness and wire speed with self adjust. Welding for dummies. I was very surprized with the results of my settings and using the auto feature

List for 750 retail selling at shop for 540
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2007 at 6:54pm
That's the one that I've got, and it IS "almost easy" to use! Be certain that you DO use gas, however! Flux-core wire just don't hack it!

The Auto settings don't cover a particularly wide range of metal thickness, but since most everything on a Jeep is 18-ga, and it covers that, I knew that it was "the one for me"! <g>

That also sounds like a very good price. Seems to me that I paid almost list for mine. Duh. Of course, I also had to buy all of the "goodies", as well, including an auto-darkening helmet...which I would NOT be without! It's much easier to use than the older style. It makes it about like wearing sunglasses while you're trying to see what you've got, and _where_ to put that tip...and when it arcs, it's instantly _dark_...and then, as soon as you let up, it's back to "sunglasses". I think mine goes from about 3 or 4 to 15.
Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
(Name Blocked) View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (Name Blocked) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2007 at 7:00pm
I liked it so much I bought it this afternoon and you are correct about using gas. Looking forward in using it in the near future.

Use it this afternoon and did a but weld with the auto setting feature. Can only say is wow and worth the money and was using 24 guage wire.

Edited by Alan - 17 Nov. 2007 at 5:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12