Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welding Assistant.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welding Assistant.
    Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 3:24pm
If any of you are having difficulties welding or need advice on Brazing, Soldering or otherwise, post here and I will get back to you as soon as i can. 
I can also offer advice on abrasives and cutting processes.
I appreciate that there are others on here that can clearly weld but if I can help I would like to.
~Steve~
jpet brought me here.

XJ
KJ CRD x5 (+1 on the way,probably)
YJ about to be butchered & hit with the restoring stick.
TJ
One day I'll have a Willys, be cool like everybody else.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 6:39pm
I've always felt the strongest part of my welding game is a 4-1/2" grinder LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
littlesteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 9:55am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

I've always felt the strongest part of my welding game is a 4-1/2" grinder LOL

What about thick paint? That works too. 
Funny how some think Bondo is a suitable substitute for welding.
jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 2:26pm
I've been welding with my 140 Snap On mig for years and I still am not very good at making welds look good. One thing I just figured out was that I had my mask tinted too much. I lightened it up a bit and I can see the weld better. Maybe you can comment on that. Also, how do people make these nice straight welds? mine always seem to wander around.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
littlesteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

I've been welding with my 140 Snap On mig for years and I still am not very good at making welds look good. One thing I just figured out was that I had my mask tinted too much. I lightened it up a bit and I can see the weld better. Maybe you can comment on that. Also, how do people make these nice straight welds? mine always seem to wander around.

If you open the shade all the way up, then turn it down until, when striking an arc it doesn't make you squint or react in any way. Subsequently when your done with your pass you should be able to lift your screen and not see bright spots like you have been staring at the sun.
I would recommend 9-10 on the dial if you have one. All the above will depend on what setting you are welding at.

As for the welding in a straight line.. 
What particular joint do you struggle with?
Are you sitting/standing/lying/jammed in the corner comfortably?
Are you close enough?
Are you using both hands?
Where are you looking at the weld puddle from in front or behind?
Do you wear glasses for reading?
Is the lens in your mask clean?

jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2020 at 3:41pm
Just saw your response little Steve. I guess I'm just not taking my time to make sure which direction to go with the welder. I do it all the time. I start welding and think I am welding along the part line, but I'm not. I then have go back and do it again. I'm sure it's just me. One thing I noticed recently when I bought new welding wire, the same .023 and spec I had before for welding mild steel, but the new stuff seems to work much better. My old wire was made in Italy and probably 30 years old. New stuff made in China. Welding wire doesn't have a shelf life, does it?
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
 Post Reply Post Reply